Recommended 0.01g accuracy scale for DIY pour-over water

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

I would like to explore making water. I have an Acaia scale that does 0.1g. so I need to get a 0.01g scale. There are many inexpensive 0.01g scales but I want to make sure I get one that is accurate and has no drift.

Any recommended scale for DIY water?

fede2525

#2: Post by fede2525 »

Not sure what Acadia scale you have, but it might be worth checking if it has a high resolution setting you can adjust. I remember using one that allowed you to toggle the second decimal place.

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Many Acaia scales can be set up for 0.01 readability, though I don't know the accuracy or repeatability.

I've been using an AWS 0.01 g scale from who knows how long ago. Old enough that the double-stick tape under the platform has dried out.

https://awasteof.coffee/how-to/mixing-water/ uses a US$40 0.001 g scale that I have not tried myself. https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Prec ... 011J88S8M/

I find it hard to believe that the accuracy of any of these inexpensive or moderately priced scales is better than 1/1000.

Davidm

#4: Post by Davidm »

I think you are fooling yourself thinking that an inexpensive (non lab grade) scale will be repeatable and reproducible at 0.01.

I think this is why many of the water formulas have you create a concentrated base to add to water.

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by bobkat »

I would like to explore making water.
What type of water are you trying to make?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Pressino »

I have an RCBS Micro Pro electronic scale that measures weight in grains or grams and is fairly accurate to 0.01gm since it's used to measure smokeless powder for cartridge reloading.