Recommendations?: R&D espresso grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
wearashirt

#1: Post by wearashirt »

Hi guys!

I haven't been back into home espresso grinder discussions in a long while. Currently, I need a small espresso grinder that I can use for R&D in the shop. Kind of a cheapskate, so I'm not really into spending for another big-motor flat burr grinder, like the one I use in my kiosk!

Right now the products I'm familiar with are:

Baratza Virtuoso
Breville Smart grinder

Any comments, suggestions on these products as well as other grinders?

(I happen to still find useful my modded built-in grinder in my ol Breville 870 XL, which is a rudimentary conical grinder. But of late it's getting kind of conky.)

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

In my opinion, Breville grinders are a mixed blessing. They are inexpensive and the company (in Canada anyway) stands behind their products. On the other hand, I find their quality control to be very poor. That said, I've never had their smart grinder...maybe it's better. I've had three 450s and all were very different, with only one capable of grinding proper espresso. I had a few 860/870 Barista Express machines, in which the inbuilt grinders were all very different from one another. None lasted very long, but worked well until they croaked.

I've only had one Baratza Grinder, a Preciso with the Esatto scale accessory. It works flawlessly. In Canada, Baratza also has a good reputation of standing behind their products.

In terms of service, I've never had to buy parts for the Baratza, but know from HB forums that they are readily available. Not so with Breville; I've had no end of trouble getting even simple seals and washers for the grinders in the Breville 870s.

So, of the two machines you mention, for general use, including espresso, I'd go for the Baratza. If fine grind control for espresso is important to you then you might consider the Preciso.

KevinAlvord

#3: Post by KevinAlvord »

I would not recommend the preciso for espresso. I have stalled mine a few times with light roast at espresso fine settings. You can work around this by feeding the beans in a few at a time. If you don't do light roast espresso then I would say it's pretty great. I always single dosed mine and the retention was very low. It's also nice to be able to do repeatable adjustment for different brewing methods. Also Baratza support has always been great for me.
LMWDP #532