Recommend me a good machine/grinder for espresso only please!

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
evert

#1: Post by evert »

Hi!

I've previously had Silvia/Rocky and found it to be too many variables to consider for making a quick and easy shot.

Things I'd prioritize:
Best possible espresso quality
Quick start-up time
Nice finish/esthetics of the machine

Nice to have:
Ability to plumb into water line
Size is a factor

I'm only interested in making espressos, and would make 1-2 shots every other day.

As grinder I've been recommended a Quamar Q50E. Any thoughts on that?

Models I've been looking at include the ECM Classika PID and Technika IV Profi. I'm aware I'm comparing a single boiler unit with a HX machine :)

Please give me your input and feedback!

/BR Evert

purpledad

#2: Post by purpledad »

I have a classika, and I think it fits your needs well.

Ive started to get into milk drinks, and now that my wife is drinking coffee that means I'm making two milk drinks at once, so some day soon I'll have to upgrade, but I really do like the classika.

If you're certain that milk drinks are going to make up a small fraction of your total usage, there's no reason to buy a hx.

evert (original poster)

#3: Post by evert (original poster) »

How about a manual machine then?
How easy are they to operate compared to semi-automatic?
I'm thinking something like a Flair
https://www.flairespresso.com/shop

Or an Elektra Micro Casa?

/Evert

HoldTheOnions

#4: Post by HoldTheOnions »

For you I would stick with pid single boiler, which will save you money over hx, and step up a level on the grinder, e.g. quamar m80e, ceado e5/e6, eureka atom, etc.

jtrops

#5: Post by jtrops »

evert wrote:How about a manual machine then?
How easy are they to operate compared to semi-automatic?
I'm thinking something like a Flair
https://www.flairespresso.com/shop

Or an Elektra Micro Casa?

/Evert
I went from a semi-auto to a La Pavoni, and I have never regretted it. It's not great for making milk drinks for a bunch of people, but It is fast to heat up, small on the counter, and the quality of the espresso is excellent. There is a learning curve to dial in the process, but once that is behind you making a quick espresso isn't a big deal.

I am probably going to get a Flair or Cafelat Robot to keep at work. My understanding with the Flair is that it is quite capable, and small, but that it is a bit more fussy to use between boiling the wate, preheating the cylinder, and then the clean up. Something like the Micro Casa A Leva (MCAL) would be better if you don't need it to be portable.

It is worth mentioning that I'm in Colorado, and at this altitude the La Pavoni has been stable with temperature, and I don't need to really do anything to manage it. Temperature control can be an issue with the La Pavoni, and Im' not sure if that's true for the MCAL.

chris_n

#6: Post by chris_n »

best possible espresso quality would start with grinder, followed by a machine that allows preinfusion.

1. monolith flat

2. plumbed-in semi automatic e61 machine (line pressure preinfusion via 3 position lever)

Scott_G

#7: Post by Scott_G »

Restored Caravel or Streitman CT1 should also be considered.

RyanP

#8: Post by RyanP »

evert wrote:
Things I'd prioritize:
Best possible espresso quality
Quick start-up time
Nice finish/esthetics of the machine

Nice to have:
Ability to plumb into water line
Size is a factor

I'm only interested in making espressos, and would make 1-2 shots every other day.

You've described all the selling points of the Strietman Ct1

John49

#9: Post by John49 replying to RyanP »

+1

redbone

#10: Post by redbone »

One does not need to spend a few thousand on a Streitman as there are a number of pro-sumer vintage lever machines that can achieve excellent results for less than half the cost.

Short list:
Faema Faemina
LPE / Pro
VAM / Caravel
Mcal
Zerowatt 708 ca
Zacconi

Regarding the grinder. Quamar Q50 electronic or manual?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549