Rancilio Silvia with factory PID

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
GinjaMan41

#1: Post by GinjaMan41 »

Hi everyone! New user and first time poster. I've spent the last 4 weeks going down the rabbit hole of trying to find my first home brewing setup. I am a "competent novice" with some experience pulling some shots on a Breville Barista Pro for about a year at my last office (not the biggest Breville fan). I was initially sold on the Gaggia Classic Pro but am now reconsidering. I know myself and feel like I would jump down the mod rabbit hole almost immediately. The more I read, it seems like a PID is a must so I'm willing to up my price a bit. I consistently read great things about the Rancilio Silvia being a good starter machine and I just came across a model with a built in PID from Seattle Coffee (it seems to be available exclusively to them):

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ranci ... so-machine

Does anyone have any experience with this machine or knowledge about whether the PID is good quality? If so, curious to hear if the price difference between this model, the traditional Silvi (non PID), and Gaggia Classic Pro is justified? Also, any experience purchasing from Seattle Coffee in general? I've read mix reviews about their support.

I've also read through the thread for Best Espresso Machine under $1000 but would love any advice on other single boiler machines under $1500 with a PID. I haven't decided on a grinder yet but have a few on my shortlist.

I'll be pulling an average 2-4 shots per day and will be using the steamer probably 50% of the time.

Would highly appreciate any thoughts on this!

Thanks!

Advertisement
SandraF

#2: Post by SandraF »

I have ordered several cups/saucers from Seattle Coffee Gear as well as other accessories for making espresso and have had successful business with them.

mckolit

#3: Post by mckolit »

Focus on the grinder first. Niche Zero should be the starting point for grinder. Then think about a machine. Good machine and subpar grinder is not a good combination. Good grinder and so so machine is a better starting point. The grinder will grow with you as you upgrade the machine.

GinjaMan41 (original poster)

#4: Post by GinjaMan41 (original poster) »

SandraF wrote:I have ordered several cups/saucers from Seattle Coffee Gear as well as other accessories for making espresso and have had successful business with them.
Thank you for the feedback on Seattle Coffee, Sandra! Good to know you've have a great experience with them.
mckolit wrote:Focus on the grinder first. Niche Zero should be the starting point for grinder. Then think about a machine. Good machine and subpar grinder is not a good combination. Good grinder and so so machine is a better starting point. The grinder will grow with you as you upgrade the machine.
Thank you! I'm definitely not looking to skimp on the grinder. Appreciate you sharing the Niche Zero as a starting point.

Any thoughts between the Eureka Mignon Specialita and Baratza 270Wi?

kc2hje

#5: Post by kc2hje »

Hello and welcome

SCG I can't say enough good things about them they have been outstanding with both machines Silvia, than the PID for the Silvia, and now a Silvia Pro X

As to the PID its been rock solid the only issue I have is changing anything aside from the brew temp is a bust out the instruction and proceed carefully but it made a huge change to the quality of the shots I got out of the machine and having a temp readout is another huge bonus.

As far as grinders go the Niche you can't go wrong with that but also the Orphan Espresso OE Lido or Pharos 2.0 is a great option too unfortunately there is no cheap option for grinders.

Chris

Edited to correct grinder options

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

Be aware that it states that their techs have added the PID. It is evidently not a factory add-on. It is in a vented case in the area where water and steam are present. Just some things to consider. I have not shopped that price range in a LONG time (like rounded off to the nearest decade or so), but you are right on the cusp of HX machines.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

kc2hje

#7: Post by kc2hje »

^^^ This is why I did the install myself as its more protected inside and has no impact on clearance for the pitcher and steam wand. my .02 cents

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

Seattle Coffee Gear installs a PID from Auber Instruments. You can buy the PID kit from auberins.com and install it yourself. On the other hand, Seattle Coffee Gear will warrant the installation.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada