Quickmill Silvano vs. Breville Dual Boiler

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Maksua808

Postby Maksua808 » Jul 08, 2019, 2:10 pm

Hello, on the fence for which one to buy. Will be buying new since many other avenues have fallen through for me with espresso machines. We make 2-4 cappuccinos a day and my grinder is a Pharos 2.0.

I have read countless hours about both machines. I'm just troubled deciding weather or not the BDB and the mixed reviews of reliability is worth it. It seems as though there is much more you can do in the long run with the machine.

Quickmill Silvano - rock solid reliability / PID / and steam power is not that important. I rarely have to entertain more than a few guests.

I for sure would like a PID to dial in different roasts.

Anyone that has any experience with either is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Adam - 3 cups of coffee then I go.

Chazz

Postby Chazz » Jul 12, 2019, 1:02 am

I have the following machines in three different homes: QM Silvano, QM67, and Gaggia New Coffee (ca. 1989). In all three I have Sette 270, and in 2 of them I have Fresh Roast 500.
The most important equalizer is the Sette 270 in all locations. I previously used a Braun KMM30 with the Gaggia, and the shots were poor.

I am very happy with the Silvano. Although not E61, it is 58 mm and therefore the portafilters, baskets, levelers, tampers are interchangeable with the QM67. In comparing the Silvano with the QM67:
1. It is lighter
2. The water chamber slides out from the side vs from the top(QM67). This could be important if you mount it under kitchen cabinets.
3. It does not have a hot water spout.
4. Both have timers for the shots.
5. I believe the Silvano cannot be plumbed, whereas the QM67 can.
6. The QM67 uses a double boiler, the Silvano has a thermoblock for steam output.
7. The Silvano steam is enabled with the flick of a switch, the QM 67 has a multi-turn valve. The valve may have a "bling" factor, but flicking a switch is a lot easier, especially when the milk is rapidly getting too hot.
8. In terms of milk frothing I am equally not expert in both of these machines. I do not see much difference.I recommend you purchase the Isomac New 2 Hole tip for $10 from Chris Coffee. The 2 holes are smaller than typical, thus compensating for possible lower steam pressure.

I do not have personal experience with the Breville Double Boiler, but from what I can read, it is a very sophisticated impressive machine. It has all sorts of parameters you can play with such as adjusting preinfusion. It is not built as solidly as the Silvano, but Breville is good at servicing the machine.

I think the Silvano is a very solidly built machine which has, to some extent, the "look" of the more expensive Italian machines. It is very user oriented and, with a good grinder, will make excellent espressos/caps. It is a tremendous value for the money.

If you enjoy experimenting with various parameters, and have the skill of noticing subtle differences in the cup (I don't) you might prefer the Breville.

You could not make a mistake with either machine. Buying both of them is a great idea! :D
Good luck.

Gig103

Postby Gig103 » Jul 12, 2019, 12:37 pm

Welcome to the forum!

The 2-4 milk drinks you make, are they in quick succession? In other words, does everyone want a cappuccino first thing in the morning? I ask because my first machine (Crossland CC1) had a thermoblock steamer like the Silvano and it wasn't particularly quick, nor was the steam output as dry as a dedicated steam boiler. So while I haven't used the Silvano specifically I'd be wary of it if you need larger quantities of milk on a regular basis.

I can recommend the Quickmill brand though, I'm very satisfied with my Andreja Premium.

Maksua808

Postby Maksua808 » replying to Gig103 » Jul 12, 2019, 12:45 pm

No they are not, usually just for my wife and I. We enjoy them and make 2 more. It may be a concern when guest or family come to visit though. Thanks for the reply, and the information has been overwhelming.

Maksua808

Postby Maksua808 » Jul 12, 2019, 12:49 pm

Chazz wrote:I have the following machines in three different homes...

Thank you so much for your very thorough reply. I almost gave up on this thread. You saved it! I am leaning more towards the Silvano or the QM Alexia which is a single broiler e61. Still undetermined weather or not I believe all of the pre-infusion hype which would be one of the only reasons I go the Alexia route.

As far as the BDB I'm just not sure how I feel about all that plastic and cheap parts in it. I could get a 4 year warranty, but like you said I can't tell the taste in the cup difference at this point. In fact I'm even wondering weather or not I ever will. I can definitely taste the difference when it's a superior espresso, but noting chocolate and fruitiness or other flavors seems but a dream.

My desire for a PID is because I would like to roast my own coffee and dial in the different roasts. Yet another dream. Thanks again.

slipchuck

Postby slipchuck » Jul 12, 2019, 5:04 pm

Gig103 wrote:Welcome to the forum!

The 2-4 milk drinks you make, are they in quick succession? In other words, does everyone want a cappuccino first thing in the morning? I ask because my first machine (Crossland CC1) had a thermoblock steamer like the Silvano and it wasn't particularly quick, nor was the steam output as dry as a dedicated steam boiler. So while I haven't used the Silvano specifically I'd be wary of it if you need larger quantities of milk on a regular basis.

I can recommend the Quickmill brand though, I'm very satisfied with my Andreja Premium.

On the plus side, the Quickmill silvano can steam longer as there isn't a boiler needing to refill

I personally would go with the silvano

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Chazz

Postby Chazz » Jul 14, 2019, 1:50 am

In deciding between the Silvano and the Alexia:
The single boiler Alexia would require a "cooling flush" and, I believe, cannot be plumbed in. You would be refilling the reservoir manually, and flushing water down the drip tray.
As far as the E61 on the Alexia goes, I think it is a wash. In comparing my Silvano (not E61) with my QM67 (E61) the only difference I detect is that Silvano reaches temperature more quickly,.
The only advantage of the Alexia over the Silvano is a no burn steam wand.

My advice: the Silvano.

HB
Admin

Postby HB » Jul 14, 2019, 1:17 pm

Chazz wrote:The single boiler Alexia would require a "cooling flush" and, I believe, cannot be plumbed in.

You may be thinking of a heat exchanger type espresso machine; the Alexia is a single boiler and was reviewed here. The Silvano was also reviewed here. The most significant difference is steaming - the Alexia really caters to an espresso-only crowd, since it needs time to transition to steam temperature. The Silvano uses a thermoblock heater for steam, so there's no delay. From the review's conclusion:

In terms of price, the Quick Mill Silvano is midway between a top entry-level and prosumer espresso machine. Its Cappuccino Performance reflects this price/performance tradeoff, earning 3 stars. For small milk drinks, first-time buyers will likely appreciate the slower pace since it offers plenty of time to finesse the development of microfoam during the stretching phase, possibly avoiding the creation of big bubbles. But for preparing lattes with 8 ounces or more of milk, the Silvano is slow, eking out a middling 2½ stars. If large lattes are your passion, you may be frustrated by the Silvano's greater than one minute steam time.
Dan Kehn

Maksua808

Postby Maksua808 » Jul 14, 2019, 1:58 pm

I have read pretty much everything I can find for the Silvano, Alexia, and BDB on the forums. I am definitely leaning more towards the Silvano.

Does anyone have any reason against the BDB? Other than the obvious questionable reliability or more so the need for upkeep on the user end.

Also would it benefit me to just blow the budget by $500 and go Profitec 300, having a one time kill mentality avoiding future upgraditis? Would what I gain from the Profitec 300 really be that much more over the Silvano?

Thanks again everyone this has been very helpful, I will be making my purchase tomorrow after the final comments on this thread.

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Jul 14, 2019, 2:48 pm

Maksua808 wrote:I have read pretty much everything I can find for the Silvano, Alexia, and BDB on the forums. I am definitely leaning more towards the Silvano.

Does anyone have any reason against the BDB? Other than the obvious questionable reliability or more so the need for upkeep on the user end.

Well I'll chime in for the BDB. Personally, it's the best machine for the buck if you make lots of capps or lattes. The dual boiler system is designed with this in mind. When I have five people over, I can whip out five lattes in shotgun fashion (well four, as there is always a 'espresso only' rogue in every crowd), and the machine never breaks a sweat. The machine's grouphead temp stabilization rivals that of the LM GS3. That's important to me. I've owned my BDB for over three years now and the only issue has been a leaky steam ball valve, which was an easy DIY job. Again my personal experience with reliability has been excellent and that's 3 or more drinks a day/350 days per year.
Can't comment about the other machines...don't know anything about their temperature stability, preinfusion capability, or steam power...in the end it's up to you.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..."