Quickmill Silvano vs. Breville Dual Boiler - Page 2

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Maksua808

#11: Post by Maksua808 » Jul 14, 2019, 5:19 pm

BaristaBob wrote:Well I'll chime in for the BDB. Personally, it's the best machine for the buck if you make lots of capps or lattes.
I was just curious because I can get a 4 year warranty using my credit card. So its definitely worth looking into. Thank you for your input.
Adam - 3 cups of coffee then I go.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Nunas » Jul 14, 2019, 5:40 pm

My desire for a PID is because I would like to roast my own coffee and dial in the different roasts. Yet another dream. Thanks again.
To PID or not to PID does not really have much if anything to do with home roasting. It has to do with the espresso machine design. If you opt for an HX, the PID is totally not necessary (but no down side either); you surf the flush to get the temperature you want. OTOH, a PID is usually standard equipment on a newer DB machines. I've had mostly thermoblock and HX machines, and only recently changed to a DB. I found the HX more versatile in messing with brew temperature. While I can certainly change the PID on my DB and wait a bit, I find I don't do so. Whereas on the HX (with a thermometer such as EricS), it's part of pulling each shot, to the point where you eventually become "one with the machine" and do it automatically as part of your routine.

Maksua808

#13: Post by Maksua808 » Jul 14, 2019, 6:36 pm

Nunas wrote: you surf the flush to get the temperature you want.
Interesting so your saying just getting in the 5-10 degree range for a roast is more important as oppose to the exact degree that you can with a PID? I never thought about that. To my understanding the biggest advantage to a dual boiler is when you want to entertain and make many drinks back to back, correct? Would you say the jump from the Silvano to a Profitec 300 would be worth the cost, $500 more?

lancealot

#14: Post by lancealot » Jul 14, 2019, 9:08 pm

Well If you have read everything you can find about these machines, I really do not know what more you want out of us. I will take a swing though.

Buy the BDB.

In addition to what Bob said, I also think it is the best bang for the buck if you want an easier learning curve. This is just my preference but there is no surfing to find a temperature, you set the temperature and the temp you see is what you get. Temperature changes are stable, there is no offset to calculate, they happen quickly and they are easily repeatable. It makes figuring things out pretty easy and I think that made a big difference for my learning curve.

As I see it, the maintenance things you see on here, changing O rings, steam ball valves, are for people who want to avoid a warranty claim OR do not want to send their machines in to Breville for the paid service. You good sir would have 3 options: use your 4 year warranty, do DIY repairs, or pay for Breville to make repairs.

just my $.02

Maksua808

#15: Post by Maksua808 » Jul 15, 2019, 12:12 am

[quote="lancealot"]Well If you have read everything you can find about these machines, I really do not know what more you want out of us./quote]

Well I was being quite facetious, it's nearly impossible to have read everything about these machines. But I have certainly exhausted countless hours in my book reading everything relevant to my situation. The beauty in these forums is to hear from people pertaining directly to what we are pondering. Hearing from Bob, someone with a newer model of the BDB speaking to its reliability was perfect and something I had not seen as of yet.

Thank you to you as well your input it is greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know if there is a replacement for the grouphead collar insert that is not plastic for the BDB? Something about 200 degree water and plastic just doesn't sit right with me.

lancealot

#16: Post by lancealot » Jul 15, 2019, 8:51 am

I haven't seen or heard of one.

Maksua808

#17: Post by Maksua808 » Jul 16, 2019, 1:17 pm

Thanks for the input everyone, ended up calling Chris's Coffee and talking to them about the Silvano and QM67. They offered no discounts on the Silvano and a used well maintained QM67 for about $100 more fell into my lap so I grabbed it up. According to Chris's Coffee the major changes for the new QM67 were all aesthetic and an eco mode which I won't really need. Had it not been for this deal I would have purchased a Silvano.

I have found this forum extremely helpful look forward to providing my input and help others in the future.