Quickmill Anita vs. Alexia vs. Vetrano - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TomP10

#21: Post by TomP10 »

erics wrote:These are M4 knobs available from McMaster-Carr (about $2 each) and rubber washers from your local hardware store.
Can you give the McMaster-Carr part number? They offer a couple thousands knobs! - Tom

erics
Supporter ★

#22: Post by erics »

Previous post edited to include p/n and corrected price.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

mrgnomer

#23: Post by mrgnomer »

Genesis wrote:I'm a 99% straight shot guy and still love the Vetrano. Surprisingly enough, the hot water tap gets used a LOT around here. I didn't think it would - but it does - by both myself and my kid (e.g. instant soups, etc)

And when I DO have company and they want a latte or cappa, its right there, right now.
LOL! The Vetrano's hot water tap gets used a lot here too :lol: From french press, tea, turkish coffee and hot water for stock, rice, etc... Very grateful for the plumb in and the rotary pump.

TimEggers (original poster)

#24: Post by TimEggers (original poster) »

I'm leaning towards the Alexia for sure, but I keep looking at the prices and for a short bit more I could go HX.

I do want the most control I can have over the straight shot; I think the PID like Mike says would make it easier to dial in temps. I have seen the adjustable thermostat on the stock Alexia and it appears to have a numbered dial. I wonder would a PID offer greater control, enough to justify the additional price? Anything else I should know about PID in general (never have used one)?

I am curious if the adjustable thermostat, and available pressure gage would give me enough control to make me happy. All I really want is adjustable brew pressure and the addition of adjustable thermostat is nice (I'm sure I'd still have to do some kind of a flush routine, but that's fine with me), E61, great inernals and looks. The Alexia looks like the machine for me, I'm now trying to justify the cost of the PID (like I say that puts it so close to the Anita). Plus a PID Alexia would reduce the budget for a lever...
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

HB
Admin

#25: Post by HB »

TimEggers wrote:I have seen the adjustable thermostat on the stock Alexia and it appears to have a numbered dial. I wonder would a PID offer greater control, enough to justify the additional price? Anything else I should know about PID in general (never have used one)?
The adjustable thermostats aren't designed for on the fly changes; you dial them in once and leave them alone. If you want to experiment with brew temperature, don't want to fuss with HX flush regimes, and steam infrequently, a PID'd Alexia sounds like a perfect fit.
Dan Kehn

#26: Post by TimEggers (original poster) »

(can you tell I'm very indecisive?) :wink:

I am thinking that a non-PID Alexia may be my choice. I have been doing a lot of thinking about it and as far as temperature adjustments I don't think I would have to do them often. I have found with my Gaggia at least that a blend/or bean seems to do best at a certain temperature range (so I flush to that temp). Therefore the entire time I'm on a blend/bean I tend to flush to the same temp. Conclusion: I would only have to adjust temps when changing bean/blends. With me that's no less then once a week. So on the fly temperature adjustments may not be needed.

Plus I was into the PID when I thought it was absolutely stable (didn't need ANY flushing). If I'm going to be flushing anyways there will always be a "use the force" approach. Like what I do now on my Gaggia, I still have to experiment with flushing when going to a blend/bean, but once I find what I like I stick with it for the entire batch with great consistency.

I think my current style of espresso making would translate beautifully to a stock Alexia. I'd have what I really wanted (adjustable brew temps, pressure), e61 group, readout gage (for feedback), great looks and attractive price point.

I really don't feel that I have outgrown my Gaggia. I really like it and the shots I can get from her. I don't feel like she is holding me back. I know the Alexia will give me a better machine and really (the more I think about) seems to be the best fit for my espresso style and me. And with the bucks I'm saving I can get a bottomless porta right away instead of having to wait (if I went with the Anita). My funds after all aren't limitless, and I think that perhaps the Alexia will give me the most bang for my buck.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

Compass Coffee

#27: Post by Compass Coffee »

TimEggers wrote:(can you tell I'm very indecisive?) :wink:
Plus I was into the PID when I thought it was absolutely stable (didn't need ANY flushing). If I'm going to be flushing anyways there will always be a "use the force" approach. Like what I do now on my Gaggia, I still have to experiment with flushing when going to a blend/bean, but once I find what I like I stick with it for the entire batch with great consistency.
I may be mistaken, suspect you may be confusing "temp" surfing like done with HX or single boiler machine with single temp point tstat (and wide deadband) with group temp equalization like what would be needed with Alexia (or DB machine like Brewtus). From idle a quick ~2oz flush to stabilize the group with boiler temp is all that's needed (and can be used to really pre-heat your demi anyway!), but it's not a varying flush amount or time to vary shot temp.

I'd agree that if not routinely changing/tweaking shot temp PID wouldn't be as beneficial on Alexia.
Mike McGinness

#28: Post by TimEggers (original poster) »

Hello Mike,

No were on the same page, I was saying (or rather rambling) that I'm used to a long flush on my Gaggia...

Anyways, back to my on-the-fence approach to selecting my next machine, I think I am going to go with the PID afterall. I'll just keep my Gaggia and use that for steaming (small dinner parties).

I'm not going to do espresso at my daughters b-day parties, because I don't want to be in the kitchen for the whole time!

I think the PID Alexia will give me all the control over the straight shot I could ever want. Plus idle time between shots (sometimes 20-40 minutes) shouldn't be as impactful on the machine. Plus I really like the idea of PID, should take some of the guess work out for me and allow me to experiment with different beans/blends easily. I also like that it will keep the temps more consistent for me.

Yeah I think the PID Alexia may be in my near future!

(give me 5 minutes and we'll see what happens!) :roll: :wink:
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

#29: Post by TimEggers (original poster) »

OMG...OMG...OMG... :?

I did it. I can't believe I actually did it. I pulled the trigger. OMG, I've never spent this much on anything for a long, long time. I hope I don't regret it...

I still can't believe what I have done. I hope I like it... Oh man I hope this all works out.

I went with the Anita after all (I felt it was the only machine that would KILL upgrade fever for good). I just couldn't get a single boiler even if it was PID for such a close price to the Anita. I'm sure I can get the hang of HX, thanks again Dan for your articles on HX. I guess I too have stopped worrying and will hope to love HX's!

Ok I can use some reassurances here guys, tell me I did a good thing. My wife doesn't get the need for a $1k espresso machine, but I do, luckily the money was all mine so she couldn't offer too much resistance... :wink:

Man, I'm still in a state shock. May the HX gods have favor on me...
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

doleeo

#30: Post by doleeo »

Congrats. I remember the excitement after I ordered my Anita.

I think you'll find that it's quite easy to use, since you already do a flush on your gaggia. But with the E-61, your shots will be alot more consistent, as it's quite forgiving.