Quickmill Anita vs. Alexia vs. Vetrano - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TimEggers (original poster)

#11: Post by TimEggers (original poster) »

Thanks Mike, I might just stay with the standard p-stat and grab the bottomless portafilter handle. My new triple basket should work nicely in it.

I will defiantly give Chris a call (or just shoot him an email).

Thanks again!
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

Beezer

#12: Post by Beezer »

Congratulations on the new machine, Tim! I don't think you'll be disappointed. Your decision came very quickly. It took me months of agonizing to get where you are now.

BTW, I got the naked PF and passed on the upgraded pressurestat. I asked Mary at Chris' about the upgraded P-stat, and she said it wasn't really necessary, so I just went with the PF instead.

Enjoy the new machine. It's going to be a whole new world of espresso for you.
Lock and load!

scottyg514

#13: Post by scottyg514 »

All those machines are awesome, but the plumb in & draining of the Vetrano are beautiful things. Not to mention the very quiet rotary pump.

It is so great not to have to remember to manually fill the tank or to empty the drip tray.

Like I said their all awesome machines, but for a little extra, I hope you don't look back & say "I should've...." well you know the rest.

Good luck

Genesis

#14: Post by Genesis »

I went down this road recently and bought the Vetrano about 2-3 months ago.

ZERO regrets. Awesome machine.

TimEggers (original poster)

#15: Post by TimEggers (original poster) »

Uh oh...now I've changed my mind! :roll:

Actually I've done a lot of soul searching and I think the Alexia may be the machine for me. Here is why:

1) I only do straight shots 99% of the time. For the literally one or two lattes for the wife maybe on the weekends I don't mind the wait to steam. Last month she has had 1. I don't need instant steam ability.

2) It still has the features I really want in my espresso machine, just not the extras of the Anita that I don't need as much. Edit: Does the Anita have an adjustable p-stat? Oops just found the Quickmill Alexia...

3) It looks to be a very nice machine; I'm a single boiler kinda guy. My Gaggia has never left me frustrated or longing for an HX, so why upgrade?

4) With the money I save from not going with the Anita I should be able to score a nice manual lever on ebay (thus fulfilling my lever dreams)!

In closing (and for the moment) I really think the Alexia is the machine for me. I don't need to overkill my set-up, and I'd love an Alexia/Lever set-up. That would rock. And hey if I did do parties I could use the lever as a steamer and just pull shots with the Alexia.

Yeah this may be the way I go...

Thoughts?
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

Genesis

#16: Post by Genesis »

I'm a 99% straight shot guy and still love the Vetrano. Surprisingly enough, the hot water tap gets used a LOT around here. I didn't think it would - but it does - by both myself and my kid (e.g. instant soups, etc)

And when I DO have company and they want a latte or cappa, its right there, right now.

gtrman

#17: Post by gtrman »

Tim,
Congrats on your new setup with whatever you go with. I was going to spring for an Anita for my first machine, but decided that saving my pennies for over a year just wasnt worth it for now. I too have a Gaggia and will miss your commentaries/tips on them (not to sleight anyone else who has written about these machines).
good luck!
-Jeff

Compass Coffee

#18: Post by Compass Coffee »

TimEggers wrote:In closing (and for the moment) I really think the Alexia is the machine for me. I don't need to overkill my set-up, and I'd love an Alexia/Lever set-up. That would rock. And hey if I did do parties I could use the lever as a steamer and just pull shots with the Alexia.

Yeah this may be the way I go...

Thoughts?
Based on your consumption style a PID'd Alexia is what I said was probably a good way for you to go at the start of this thread! :D You'll be able to pull straight shots at your desired temp easier with a PID'd Alexia than an HX, I didn't say better shots but easier to manage temps. :wink: Now your idea of Alexia and a Lever, yeah that would be excellent.
Mike McGinness

scottyg514

#19: Post by scottyg514 »

Well if straight shots are your thing & you don't mind not having the plumb in & rotary pump, then the Alexia looks like a good choice.

I was at Chris Coffee a couple of months ago to pick up my new Vetrano & I saw the Alexia in the show room & it is a nice looking machine.

I decided on the Vetrano because it covered all bases & I would never have to upgrade it (plumb in,rotary pump,hx,drain kit,no burn steam arms,heavy duty steam knobs)

I never had an Alexia, I'm sure it great machine, but I must say that the Vetrano's performance so far is flawless.

Good luck

erics
Supporter ★

#20: Post by erics »

Compass Coffee and Jim G. have provided all the right reasons to go for the Alexia and I would second Mike's recommendation for the PID'ed version as the differential between the delivered prices is only $175 (1050 vs 875).

I make about 4 cappy's a day, spaced about 20-30 minutes apart and I tossed and turned between Anita and Alexia - ended up with Anita. I also believe I would have been happy with Alexia as the small wait to get up to steaming power levels would not have bothered me. If you get the PID'ed version, I would also ask for the parts he (David Blane) removes from Alexia.

And to digress a little, here's a nice little accessory for Alexia (or Anita) especially if you are going to do a little disassembling and post some undressed pics for us:

These are M4 knobs available from McMaster-Carr (P/N 62935K11, $1.33 each) and rubber washers from your local hardware store.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com