Quickmill Anita owner looking to upgrade to double boiler

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
nnnils

#1: Post by nnnils »

I have had Anita for almost 2 years, and enjoy it thoroughly. However, I'm looking into upgrading to a DB machine and would like some sage advice. Here's how I use Anita.
- Normally 1 or 2 Americanos a day.
- Maybe 4 or 5 times a year latte and cappuccino entertaining guests.
- I have Eric's thermometer, without which I think I would be utterly lost on brew temperature. It makes the machine much easier to use.

Things I don't like
- Lengthy cooling flushes are a little annoying, but really not a big deal.
- I normally make very tasty espresso with Anita, but I'd like something that requires a little less skill with respect to cooling flushes and timing.
- I would like to more easily and precisely tune brew temperature, for more consistency.
- I would like to be able to disable the steam boiler since I rarely use steam.

The Mini Vivaldi has caught my eye. I am not sure if it matters, but I like that this machine is NSF rated, while it seems that Quick mill machines are not--I support it could be a matter of not being certified rather than reflection of food safety. I will not use this commercially. I have done my own maintenance on Anita over the years and wonder if the Spaz is any harder to repair than Anita.

Any other machines I should consider?

Thanks!

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I have been using an Izzo Alex Duetto III for almost 2-years now without any trouble what-so-ever. It probably has all the features your looking for.

I'd recommend calling Chris' Coffee ASAP!

IMPO

SR
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

reddevil11

#3: Post by reddevil11 »

I have owned a Mini Vivaldi II for the last 18 months and would recommend it to anyone looking for a DB machine.

I make 3-4 cappuccinos in the morning and love the quick recovery time of the double boiler. I have used it in 15A and 20A mode and for my amount of usage, have not noticed a difference in recovery time.

I also appreciate the ability to turn off the steam boiler (I leave the brew boiler on all the time in case I decide I want a night capp)

I cannot speak to the differences in maintenance between the Anita and the Mini Vivaldi as I have never owned an Anita, but I also own a Dream-T (mostly the same innards and layout as the Mini Vivaldi) and had to replace a failed Temp Sensor awhile back. It was easy to open up the case and felt roomy enough the replace the sensor.

I second the recommendation of Chris' Coffee. I bought both La Spaz machines from them as well as my K30 and K10 grinders and found their customer service top notch.

HTH

-Cliff

nnnils (original poster)

#4: Post by nnnils (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies! The Duetto looks like it could be nice in that it is E61 and I have a small collection of E61 baskets, tampers, etc. Though a little more spendy than Vivaldi, it has a rotary pump. I always thought rotary pumps required a pressurized (plumbed) water source, but it looks like the Duetto will work with the reservoir, too? I don't plan to plumb.

Can the Duetto run on an appliance timer? Do you leave yours on 24/7? I normally run Anita on a timer. WIth Vivaldi I'm aware the timer of choice is the somewhat pricey LaSpaz timer.

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w »

Since you rarely use the steam, have you considered a single boiler PID machine and going all out on a grinder with the money saved?

GC1

#6: Post by GC1 »

nnnils wrote:I'm looking into upgrading to a DB machine
Why do you believe a DB machine would be upgrade?

nnnils (original poster)

#7: Post by nnnils (original poster) replying to GC1 »

Mainly because the cooling flush required, while easy enough especially with erics thermometer, still leads to a somewhat variable brew temperature. I'd like to be able to set a temperature with no real thought. Ease of use for precise brew temperature control (with PID) and easier for others in my household to use that don't want to become experts at temperature control. I still would like the steam boiler for those occasions where guests want a latte, etc.

Maybe 'upgrade' is one way to think of it, if it is better for me. I see it may be considered different and not necessarily 'better' for others.

nnnils (original poster)

#8: Post by nnnils (original poster) »

h3yn0w wrote:Since you rarely use the steam, have you considered a single boiler PID machine and going all out on a grinder with the money saved?
Is there that much to be gained over Vario relative to cost?

Compass Coffee

#9: Post by Compass Coffee »

nnnils wrote:
Any other machines I should consider?

Thanks!
Quickmill Vetrano 2B or Clives Lucca variation.
Mike McGinness

BaristaBoy E61

#10: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

We run our Alex Duetto III (15-amp mode) on Belkin WeMo WiFi timer. Great to be able to not only program On/Off times but to also turn 'On' anytime/anywhere with a smart phone!

I would definitely choose the Duetto III over the Vetrano 2B or Lucca due to the Duetto having a Solid State Relay (SSR - no moving parts to pit, arc or wear), the 2-others mentioned do not (among other reasons as well).
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"