Quick recommendations for espresso cups, and cappuccino type cups? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bluesman

#11: Post by bluesman »

I picked up a set of six 5.5oz Lavazza cups & saucers on sale at Chris' Coffee a few months ago for $21. They're IPAs with flat outside bottoms to sit well but rounded inside bottoms for best taste and mouth feel plus easy cleaning. They're solid, with a very smooth finish and a great feel. My wife sent me back to the site to buy another 6, but they're currently out of stock at Chris' (and worth waiting for, even if they come back at their regular price).

For espresso, I've used Apilco Tradition blue banded cups for years.

They're thick, solid, durable and very well finished. We've put them in the dishwasher daily for many years now but they're still bright white & the blue bands are still blue. They used to be inexpensive at Williams-Sonoma, but I see that Apilco's gone upscale and apparently discontinued my simple cups in favor of a new and more expensive alternative that I don't like. So if I need more espresso cups, I'll either find more Apilcos or buy the matching set to the IPA cap cups above (or both). You can't go wrong with either choice.

bluesman

#12: Post by bluesman »

iploya wrote:...one possible downside to this size cup I discovered this morning -- you quickly run out of room for milk to pour so you better complete that latte art fast! Or stick with a simpler design like a heart. But I'm a latte art newbie anyway so it's probably my skills that are lacking.
I ran into the same problem when I went to the 5.5 oz cups from larger ones. For me, the answer was that I was stretching a bit too long and pouring a bit too fast.

Almico

#13: Post by Almico »

iploya wrote:...one possible downside to this size cup I discovered this morning -- you quickly run out of room for milk to pour so you better complete that latte art fast! Or stick with a simpler design like a heart. But I'm a latte art newbie anyway so it's probably my skills that are lacking.
Latte art is for lattes, not capps. Different foam consistency, different amount.

iploya (original poster)

#14: Post by iploya (original poster) replying to Almico »

What you're saying makes sense. I suppose my practical understanding of a "cappuccino" is based off what the nicer coffee shops tend to serve as a cappuccino versus a latte. The difference as far as my eyes and taste buds can discern is basically cup size and ratio of espresso to milk. What they sell as cappuccino, in a small cup, always has artwork, as do the lattes served in a larger cup.

jwoodyu

#15: Post by jwoodyu »

Sidebar on cup size and proportions, I dearly love the Le Creuset espresso mug for what is to me a machiatto. They are 3.38 oz which is just right for espresso/foam ratio in my play book. Admittedly probably a little more milk than a purest would say is used in a machiatto but I love them the way i make them as do friends and family whatever they really are.

Back on track I love my ACF espresso, cap latte cups. I watch eBay and snap up matching strays when I can but someday when that no longer works I will probably sell my stock off to someone else and make the switch to IPA cups and saucers.

Quick answer is i would have to see and hold couple of the IPA cups and would likely go that route.

JavaRanger

#16: Post by JavaRanger »

I love the 5oz NotNetual cap cup. They are great for making two caps at once, or one with less milk depending on your basket size a yield. Not great for a 20g great for 14-18 depending on roast level.

Those any maybe the Acme Tulip which I think is 5.7 would be pretty awesome.

I do wish on NotNetual espresso cups I would have purchased the ones without a handle I can't. It's a bit odd of a handle on a small cup.

Also the 5oz cap is great for espresso too if you like to swirl like wine.

Just my $0.02

Jared

#17: Post by Jared »

I received an e-mail this morning from Intelligentsia in regards to a sale on their 20th Anniversary ceramics. I purchased two bags of coffee, one demitasse, and one cappuccino cup. It works out to be a pretty good deal since they are made by NotNeutral as long as you want a bag of coffee to go along with them.
20th Anniversary Ceramics Sale
We're offering 40% off our entire line of 20th Anniversary Ceramics through the end of the year. It's simple - Buy any bag of coffee, add up to 10 cappuccino cups, espresso cups, or coffee mugs and use coupon code 20TH-SALE during checkout to receive 40% off all the ceramics in your cart.
Don't forget that our shipping specials are still active - free UPS Ground shipping for all orders over $40 or $10 flat rate UPS 2 Day Air, so you can have your new ceramics in time for the new year!

FastGlass

#18: Post by FastGlass »

Hi iploya,
So, seeing as I just responded to a cup thread recently, for the sake of expediency, I'll just copy it:
"...On my seamingly eternal quest to find "the perfect cup", I've pretty much tried them all. The 3oz A.C.F "Nero" Macciatto and 5oz cappuccino cups have been my gold standard for many years. Then they folded. Scoured the net and bought all I could find.
Nuevo Point Sorrentos were up there. The News of the World cups are daily drivers around here...D'Ancap....Acme...both very nice, but not like the A.C.F.s...Terra Keramik are AWSOME...triple fired clay...heavy mass...good...but the platinum (yes, actual platinum) wears easily, so I don't actually USE them much. Inker Ischia are pretty sweet too.
Then I found out about this company, "Loveramics".
High density porcelain, fired under extreme high heat, these things are a virtually indestructible thermos designed for the commercial environment, but by baristas...heavy as heck. Perfect quality from one cup to another. Completely rounded out thick mass bottoms (hence their name for the series-"Egg"), for pouring latte art and for heat retention. Beautiful handles.
I'm going to say it:
The Perfect Cup.
I just ordered a ton. Like, 60. And definitely check out their "Bond" mugs too. Same rounded, convex bottoms inside, but ideal for pour overs and Aeropress stuff (IMO).
The ACFs will still get some play. Just for old times sake."
...just my opine here and I hope that helps some.

Jared

#19: Post by Jared »

Is there somewhere in the states to buy these Loveramics cups? I just added six cups to the cart on their website and was quoted $50 for shipping. Wowzers

gophish

#20: Post by gophish replying to Jared »

Please let me know if you find someone. I spent a couple of weeks travelling in China over the summer and everyone was using them. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and some awesome colors.

And +1 to the Intelligentsia 20th anniversary ceramics sale. I bought 2 Not Neutral Demis and a bag of coffee to get the free shipping over $40. I think the demis came out to $10 a piece.
Versalab