Quick Mill Evolution 70 available for US market

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
msenator

#1: Post by msenator »

After months of considering an upgrade, I just pulled the trigger on a Quick Mill Silvano Evo on a Black Friday deal from Chris's Coffee. Today I went back on the site and saw the Evolution 70 is now on sale - for $795!

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Quick_Mill_ ... _03240.htm

I've seen this machine on European sites but never domestically. At first glance it appears to have all the standard features of the Silvano plus pre-infusion and touch controls but for $280 less. My machine already shipped but I'm considering returning it unopened and asking for the Evolution instead. Descriptions in English are hard to find and Chris doesn't even have a manual posted yet. I might consider returning the Silvano without opening the box and ordering this one instead, except I'm not sure about these push-button controls. Quick Mill's description translated from Italian says "Automatic programmed quantity" and "All drinks programmable". If this means there's no quick manual pump control to start/stop the extraction, I'm less interested.

I tried calling but it seems like they've left for the day. I'll try again tomorrow.

Does anyone here have any experience with this model or additional insight? Aside from the question about manually operating the pump, it seems like a great value at that price.

msenator (original poster)

#2: Post by msenator (original poster) »

Update, I just read up on the differences between EE (semi-auto) and AV (automatic volumetric) machines. I suppose you could program the shot for 2 ounces and pull the shot away if you think it's done sooner. With that in mind it seems like a better deal than the Silvano.

Advertisement
msenator (original poster)

#3: Post by msenator (original poster) »

Update 2, the specs on CC mentioned a .4L boiler for this machine, which had me confused. It looks like the official specs indicate it uses a thermoblock for coffee as well as steam. That changes things quite a bit. I'll probably stick with my Silvano. Still a good deal for an automatic machine.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

I'd call Chris Coffee. QuickMill has tailored their machines to Chris' specifications in the past, so I wouldn't necessarily go by what is on the Quick Mill website. Also, the quality of thermoblocks varies; for example, Ascaso says that its Aluminium/Stainless steel thermoblock out-performs the small brass 57mm group w/integrated boiler that they (and loads of other companies) used.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

lemonchicken

#5: Post by lemonchicken »

sorry, if decent espresso actually ships their machine, it won't even be close in terms of performance, bang for buck, or even just straight up street fight. but that should be a big IF, curious to see decent make it to production.