QUALITY filter grinders

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Yum

#1: Post by Yum »

Help ! I own two Eureka grinder's one is the specialita for espresso and 1 brew pro for filtered. The brew pro has been a pain of mine from day one it does not go coarse enough for a Chemex and there are too many fines, Thus leaving me with over extracted coffees. Companies keep flooding us with more and more grinders that are for mostly espresso but they don't seem to be making for filtered coffees. I'm starting to believe that they are incapable of making them being that if you go to coarse and they cannot control all the many fines, I think its easier to make espresso grinders fines galore! I want to get a better filter grinder , not plastic, not a Baratsa! What choices are their for a metal,flat burr grinders best for African, fruity, floral light roasts??
WHERE ARE THE FILTERED GRINDER'S?????
•••●●● H. E. L. P ●●●▪︎▪︎▪︎

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Hmmm, there seem to have been several under active discussion including the Fellow Ode, DF64 with various burr sets, "clone" ghost-burr grinders, Ditting Lab Sweet and probably a few I've missed. Lots of discussion around hand grinders that excel for filter as well.

RyanJE

#3: Post by RyanJE »

Ek 43?
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Stanford55

#4: Post by Stanford55 »

Jeff wrote:Hmmm, there seem to have been several under active discussion including the Fellow Ode, DF64 with various burr sets, "clone" ghost-burr grinders, Ditting Lab Sweet and probably a few I've missed. Lots of discussion around hand grinders that excel for filter as well.
I've been considering much of the same things as the OP-at the risk of hijacking their thread, but nevertheless reluctant to start yet another one on the general topic, may I ask if you feel the Sweet would produce noticeably different (read: not 'better') flavor profiles than say, a Kafatek MC3 for light roasts? Enough to warrant getting a filter dedicated grinder? Are there more economical but effective alternatives? Atom 75 perhaps? I'm discovering that the MC3 makes good filter brews but it can be muddy for sure (I've found this to be generally true regardless of method). I hope I haven't diverged too much from the OP

erik82

#5: Post by erik82 »

Ditting LS807
LWW EG-1 wth SSP Ultra burrs
Titus EK43

Those are superb grinders for pourover. My EG-1 makes great pourover and has a huge range as you can turn the dial 8 rounds which is 4mm of adjustment range. Try to get 80mm of bigger burrs as those are a big improvement over all of the 64mm options.

justgrindit

#6: Post by justgrindit »

I was in the same situation until recently. While I'm happy with the espresso I get from my Monolith Flat, I always felt that the brew I get from it is lacking in clarity and is over-extracted due to the amount of fines.
I ended up getting a manual grinder, I was leaning towards Comandante but after watching a review of a bunch of grinders from Kyle Rowsell I ended up buying the 1Zpresso K Max.
From my short experience with it I can say that the grind size uniformity is a lot better than that of my Flat and I get brews that are a lot cleaner and juicier.

erik82

#7: Post by erik82 »

How do you get better brews with a small conical handgrinder? My EG-1 beats my Commandante by a mile, it's not even a fair comparison tastewise. The Monolith should also peform better as those small conical burrs also give a lot of fines.

Jonk

#8: Post by Jonk »

erik82 wrote:The Monolith should also peform better as those small conical burrs also give a lot of fines.
We don't know what burrs are in MJ's grinder. I have used plenty of flat burr grinders (up to 83mm) that performed worse for filter than [the small] Comandante.. because those flat burrs were intended for espresso use. I have tried to figure out if I prefer the 64mm SSP brew burrs over a Comandante, and perhaps I do, but the difference has been a lot smaller than I expected.

After the recent controversy about Comandante I went ahead and ordered the copy, 1zpresso K-Max instead of their upcoming Trailmaster. Many reviewers seem to favor Comandante slightly in the cup, with Lance Hedrick as a notable exception. I hope he's on to something 8)
Yum wrote:The brew pro has been a pain of mine from day one it does not go coarse enough for a Chemex and there are too many fines
I believe you might be able to adjust how coarse the grinder will adjust to. Perhaps not for the faint of heart, but have a look at this video to see how it might be done:
A much more involved mod could be to put Vario/Forté BG burrs (said to be produced by Ditting) in the Eureka Brew Pro. Not aware if anyone has actually done this - it'd involve tapping new holes into the carriers and reversing the motor direction (perhaps just by swapping the leads..). Either way, those burrs are fairly nice even if they're not perfect. Would it be worth it over just buying the partly plastic Baratza Vario, Forté or Mahlkönig X54 grinders?

Or if you're looking for very coarse grinds, consider a ghost burr grinder like Jeff suggested. Perhaps an Orphan Espresso Apex? Very much intended for filter :D

erik82

#9: Post by erik82 »

Jonk wrote:We don't know what burrs are in MJ's grinder. I have used plenty of flat burr grinders (up to 83mm) that performed worse for filter than [the small] Comandante.. because those flat burrs were intended for espresso use. I have tried to figure out if I prefer the 64mm SSP brew burrs over a Comandante, and perhaps I do, but the difference has been a lot smaller than I expected.
That's why I'm always advocating for 80mm or bigger as my EG-1 is tastewise lightyears better then the Commandante. A lot more refined taste, more layers, more clarity and in every way better. It kind of shocks me that those 64mm would be that bad that they're on par with a Commandante.

justgrindit

#10: Post by justgrindit »

erik82 wrote:How do you get better brews with a small conical handgrinder? My EG-1 beats my Commandante by a mile, it's not even a fair comparison tastewise. The Monolith should also peform better as those small conical burrs also give a lot of fines.
I'm not sure why that is, it may be that when I swapped the original burrs in my Flat to the Shuriken SWs, I haven't got the alignment right. However, the espresso is really good out of it so I'm not messing any further with it. But in terms of grind consistency, this is what I get from the Flat:

And this is from the 1Zpresso K-Max

The K-Max looks like it's putting out a more uniform grind to my eyes, which is reflected in the brew quality.
I'm sure a Ditting or an EK43 would be a significant improvement but I don't brew so often that it justifies the difference in cost for me.