Purchasing my first espresso machine, max budget $2000

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Schalicto

#1: Post by Schalicto »

Hi. I love coffee. But, I have never tried to take Espresso seriously. I have a dozen methods to hand make black coffee and I thought it was about time to take a good close look at Espresso, and do it properly. I prefer to follow the 'buy it once' mentality. I would like to escape this purchase for less than $2k.

I have been researching my options, and I have decided that I want an E61 Brew Group machine. I like the high level of knowledge around the internet regarding the E61, and the availability of repair information and replacement parts. I was finding it difficult to keep track of which machines are offered where, so I put together the following spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

At the moment I am leaning toward the Expobar Office Lever Plus, but the Vibiemme Domobar Junior HX V3, And Rocket Appartmento also look pretty solid for heat exchange machines.

But at the same time, it's a pretty short jump to a refurbished Expobar Brewtus IV.

So, here are my questions...
1. Am I missing any options on my list of machines with E61 Brew Group? (I was capping my list at $2k)
2. In your experience, do the big 4 online retails tend to have black friday or holiday specials?
3. What are your personal opinions on the options I have presented?

At the moment, I'm planning on buying a Barata Sette 270 with the machine (assuming early consumer reviews are not catastrophic).

Any thoughts, suggestions, impressions, admonishments, or condemnations are welcome. Thanks!

Josh

mania

#2: Post by mania »

Schalicto (original poster)

#3: Post by Schalicto (original poster) replying to mania »

Oh you bet! I read that thread front and back. $2k seems like a pretty typical price point. Big difference is that I would like to steam milk, so I'm focused on HX with the possibility of a DB.

h3yn0w

#4: Post by h3yn0w »

Quite a good list. Rocket also makes the Cellini/Giotto HX machines including a version with a rotary pump if you want something more quiet and/or plumbable.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by emradguy »

I'm one who lack excitement for the Sette grinder. There's been a ton of hype about it since its announcement and prototype unveiling, but it's essentially a Preciso with some of the Vario technology...so, I just don't get it. With the machine class you're looking at, you can do much, much better in the cup. Of course, anything electric powered (unless you buy used) is out of your price range, but you'd have a monster setup if you paired your machine with a Pharos.

As for pumps. I strongly urge you to consider a rotary pump for the single reason of it being plumbable.
LMWDP #748

#6: Post by Schalicto (original poster) replying to emradguy »

Pharos is a hand grinder (I had to look it up). I just watched some videos and it looks pretty inconvenient, especially for espresso.

In the various posts that I have read HX vs DB is less important on a day-to-day and longevity basis as opposed to vibe vs Rotary.

I do plan on plumbing the machine but my kitchen needs a lot of work, and I wasn't planning on plumbing it right away. That's why the switchable Expobar Office Lever Plus looked so good. Maybe my options should be Expobar Brewtus IV w Rotary or ECM Barista. But those machines push me over $2k when paired with a grinder.

LukeFlynn

#7: Post by LukeFlynn »

I'm pretty happy with my BDB + Mazzer Major.

The major has served me well with every machine I've paired it with. The BDB took it out of the house in terms of control and temperature stability, it offers A LOT you can't really get without spending significantly more.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by emradguy »

Schalicto wrote:Pharos is a hand grinder (I had to look it up). I just watched some videos and it looks pretty inconvenient, especially for espresso.
I suggested it because:

1) you said you "hand make" your coffee
2) you're a "buy it once" kind of guy
3) I own one and can attest it is friggin' awesome in the cup
4) it works in your budget

But, I'll agree it's not the most convenient thing on the market. The convenience factor goes up quite a bit if you have a place you can mount bench dogs to help hold it in place. Anyhow, it's certainly not an every man's grinder.
LMWDP #748

#9: Post by Schalicto (original poster) »

LukeFlynn wrote:I'm pretty happy with my BDB + Mazzer Major.

The major has served me well with every machine I've paired it with. The BDB took it out of the house in terms of control and temperature stability, it offers A LOT you can't really get without spending significantly more.
The BDB is an amazing machine for the price. But I'm ruling it out due to user maintainability and longevity.
emradguy wrote: I suggested it because:

1) you said you "hand make" your coffee
2) you're a "buy it once" kind of guy
3) I own one and can attest it is friggin' awesome in the cup
4) it works in your budget

But, I'll agree it's not the most convenient thing on the market. The convenience factor goes up quite a bit if you have a place you can mount bench dogs to help hold it in place. Anyhow, it's certainly not an every man's grinder.
Agreed, it really is right up my lane. The video I watched showed the person grinding, dumping the grounds into a standard coffee filter, and then pouring the filter into an espresso portafilter. Is that the normal workflow for espresso?

LukeFlynn

#10: Post by LukeFlynn »

Schalicto wrote:The BDB is an amazing machine for the price. But I'm ruling it out due to user maintainability and longevity.
Providing you use good water, and purchase it from a dealer.. I wouldn't worry about the longevity. Furthermore, of the few threads reporting issues, most of them always end in a resolution on breville's part.. so they seem to like to make things right.