Proposal for a respectable budget espresso grinder - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jeff
Team HB

#11: Post by Jeff »

Those two were very good in their day for the price, as were similar grinders sold under various names. The Tre Spade conical burrs are reasonable quality. The small flats were also reasonable, like the Gaggia MDF, Rocky, and others. I can't name a grinder sold with a major manufacturer's badge on it that is competitive today†. I doubt they were ever "tuned" to the machine in any way other than styling and price. Even the expensive Cremina Moca SD seems to be a standard Ditting ODM grinder in a fancy case.

The quality of burrs and grinders have advanced past what the grinders of that era can provide, even at a modest price.

† The Mazzer grinders that were rebadged to go alongside of commercial machines are a notable exception.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

PoorAfficionado wrote:I am surprised, that the grinders from typical espresso machine brands are not mentioned. Aren't those companies making grinders that respond to the qualities of their machine?

Ascaso i-Steel i1
Lelit Fred

are two that come into mind.
Almost no machine manufacturer makes grinders - they either put their name on what a grinder manufacturer makes, or buy the internal grinding mechanisms and put their own case around it. I believe that the latter situation is what is done with the two grinders that you mention.

I am not familiar with pricing in your locale - and pricing varies greatly due to ... well, I don't want that topic brought up again. For example, if you were in North America then I would easily say the Baratza Encore ESP. However, that's due to both quality in the market segment and Baratza's support in North America. However, that may be the wrong choice where you live.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
Moka 1 Cup

#13: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Breville/Sage Smart Grinder Pro.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

mrgnomer

#14: Post by mrgnomer »

Why not a good used grinder. Commercial type grinders are built like tanks. You won't have single dose design options with older grinders but if you're ok with coaxing and sweeping out retention they work. I used a doser Macap M4 as a single dose for many years that still runs like new even with the extra stress on the doser fins, sweeping and grind adjusting from dose to dose. The money you save with used could give you an experimental burr budget.

A Mazzer Super Jolly was recently listed for $550 on HB.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

PoorAfficionado (original poster)

#15: Post by PoorAfficionado (original poster) »

Hi all, I reckon that a newer Baratza Encore ESP might do the trick.

I like that it has distinct measurements. Easier to explain to an older person.

Regards, Tony

Fake Coffee Nerd

#16: Post by Fake Coffee Nerd »

PoorAfficionado wrote:Hi all,

I would like to purchase a grinder for my older parents. I have already purchased a coffee machine for them, a Solis Barista Perfetta Plus https://solis.com/eu_en/solis-barista-p ... lus-silver. This coffee machine is the best they ever had and will never be improved. It offers unpressurised porta-filters and consistency in pulling shots. It also fits their lifestyle. Thy pull appx. 5 shots a day. Mostly very lungo coffees.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but what's your/your parent's overall experience with the Solis? I'm looking into this machine and it has great features for the price but I've seen complaints about brewing temp being too low (even at the highest setting) and pressure being too high. I've also seen a few reviews /comments mention water leaking from the machine.
Have you experienced any of these problems?

Jeff
Team HB

#17: Post by Jeff »

Please keep responses at Solis Barista Perfetta Vs. Breville Bambino

PMs are a good way to reach out to a specific user.