Profitec Pro 700 vs. Lelit PL162 Bianca?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Clay

Postby Clay » Aug 12, 2018, 2:06 pm

I've been researching machines for about a month. I started off with the impression that I could buy what I wanted for a grand. That quickly went out the window and I have been a victim of "just another couple more will get you here". That couple hundred more, done several times has led me to consider machines in this $2500 range.

I know what kind of person I am. I made a buying decision several years ago where I wanted one machine and settle for something "of value". I upgraded with the month. Then when I bought the next step up I still "wanted" the better machine and settled for a step down. I upgraded again within two months. I didn't save a dime in order to get "what I wanted". I don't want to be buying machines left and right. I want something that I can grown with. The Lelit isn't even released yet and the Pro 700 has a proven track record.

I'm a home user and just my wife and I will use this machine. Currently we drink drip at home, and go out for espresso. At the 2K mark was considering a Vibiemme Super HX with Rotary pump and plumbed. I kind of like the idea of a DB right from the get go so that is the reason the extra money is there.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

dsblv

Postby dsblv » Aug 12, 2018, 2:43 pm

It sounds like you've already researched the options, which is a great way to start. Since you understand your buying habits, what machine do you want?

Clay

Postby Clay » Aug 12, 2018, 4:21 pm

What I want is a quality, easy to work on myself, double boiler, pre-infusion capable, PID with shot timer, Rotary vane pump, that I can have the option to plumb or not plumb that costs a $1000 and has great after the sale support and warranty.

Now the real question is what can I live without and what I can't for what amount. Bluntly the only espresso machine (in name only) I have ever owned is a Krups that cost $29.95 in the year 2000.

I was looking for some guidance by those that have greater knowledge than myself, which isn't hard to do given my experience with espresso. I'm still trying to figure out the difference between sour and bitter. I just don't want to buy one today and buy another one in a month. For something that I can grow with and learn, I'm willing to pay more.

If there is something between $1800 and $2700 that will get me where I want to go besides all of the crazy videos and reviews that I have been searching, I'm an open book. Note: I haven't posted any espresso machines posts in the last month. I wanted to do some ground work first.

dsblv

Postby dsblv » Aug 12, 2018, 4:37 pm

You've pretty much described the profitec 700. Whole Latte Love has them on sale right now.

Personally, I believe it's best to go with your own judgement. Everyone is vested in the machine they bought. So, you'll get recommendations on every machine out there. There's ample information on H-B on each product. You've very concisely summarized what you're looking for and the price. So, it seems like you're looking at the 700.

Clay

Postby Clay » Aug 12, 2018, 5:54 pm

Thanks for the thoughts dsblv. Appreciate it.

Tonefish

Postby Tonefish » Aug 12, 2018, 10:08 pm

The feature you get with the Bianca that you'll never get with the Profitec is profiling. You should decide whether or not you want profiling.

Personally, the machines coming out now make it such that I would never buy a new one, especially north of $2500, without profiling.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Clay

Postby Clay » Aug 12, 2018, 11:51 pm

Just finished watching a video on another new, yet to be released profiling machine by Rocket called "R Nine One". Beautiful machine and way out of my price range. The Lelit looks like a value in profiling machines for sure. First gen machines, like first gen cars do give me pause. I want to make this happen sooner than later though, just need to come up with a solid decision. Will call 1st line on Monday and bounce some ideas off of them.

Thanks for the comments Tonefish.

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » Aug 13, 2018, 9:51 am

Tonefish wrote:The feature you get with the Bianca that you'll never get with the Profitec is profiling. You should decide whether or not you want profiling.

Personally, the machines coming out now make it such that I would never buy a new one, especially north of $2500, without profiling.

The 2 Bianca 'features' should be usable in any E61 machine: Mushroom with paddle on needle and pressure gauge for grouphead where thermometer usually goes. Obviously we cannot be sure how well a 'retrofit' would work until they get into the wild but I would personally be shocked that they wouldn't fit. Availability of buying the Lelit parts for non-Lelit machines could be tricky. Hopefully someone will start making them nonbranded for such a purpose. Only time will tell.

A Bianca is a surefire way to make sure you get this 'new' technology. But there is a decent chance that it will slowly find its way into all E61s via aftermarket parts over the next year.

Tonefish

Postby Tonefish » replying to JayBeck » Aug 13, 2018, 3:56 pm

That's certainly what I am hoping, but all the more reason I wouldn't buy a new high-dollar E61 machine right now unless it already has the capability.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » Aug 13, 2018, 5:04 pm

Tonefish wrote:That's certainly what I am hoping, but all the more reason I wouldn't buy a new high-dollar E61 machine right now.

Well said. I wouldn't buy a $3200 black ECM Syncrhonika right now on the idea that you were for sure getting profiling in a year or so. You may; but any E61 you purchase for now needs to assume what you have is what you're gonna get until folks are able to try to get a similar part, install, and see how it fits / works.