Profitec Pro 700 or DE1?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
D_Prince

Postby D_Prince » Jun 05, 2019, 9:37 am

Such different machines... I'm the guy that buys once if he can, so I'm leaning towards the Pro 700. I do like technology so the DE1 tempts me, but funny enough outside my sous vide stick, I intentionally try to keep my kitchen equipment analog for longevity.

There is always the manual profiling add on from WLL but I haven't read anyone's experience with that. I'm also not leaning into pressure profiling anyway. Took me a while but finally came to the conclusion that I was stopping short of all I wanted with the Pro 600. Rather not save a little and make a remorseful purchase.

Thoughts?

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Jun 05, 2019, 10:54 am

Go with the Profitec 700. These are incredibly well made machines and will last a long time. I have zero experience with Decent Espresso beyond their website but Profitec is a beast of a machine.

Nunas

Postby Nunas » Jun 05, 2019, 11:17 am

I have an ECM Synchronika nearly a twin of the 700. If you want manual control but simple operation then this is for you. Adding the flow kit still gives you full manual control...it just adds the ability to control another variable. It's nearly impossible to make a bad coffee with the ECM/Profitec; it's quite close to a superauto in repeatability. And it's built like a tank. Be sure to get the new version with the 2-bar steam if you like milk drinks. It steams nearly as well as a commercial machine.

I know a fellow who has a DE1 and who previously had a Synchronika. While he likes the DE1, he sometimes misses the manual control. That said, I understand that a software update will be adding some sort of manual control (but, hey, I'm no expert on these). If you want absolute repeatability (or nearly so), then this is for you.

Another thing, if you really like manual control, then consider a quality HX (with or without PID...does not matter) with a group head thermometer (e.g., EricS). I also have a Magister Stella (a dragon HX) and while I really like my ECM Scnc, I sometimes miss having the ability to control the brew temperature with a simple flush/wait. I thought resetting the PID on the ECM would do it for me, but I find I just don't do that.

D_Prince

Postby D_Prince » Jun 05, 2019, 11:35 am

I'm usually in a rush so the idea of the HX makes me a little nervous, not sure I want to deal with the temp surfing. That and It won't be plumbed at first, which might be a pain.

It's not that I prefer to do things manually, that just seems to come with the territory. It's always a balance. I don't want to give up the manual control when it results in an inferior product, but the more manual you go the more it is prone to flaws. As usual it's a balancing act.

I also have a Magister Stella (a dragon HX) and while I really like my ECM Scnc, I sometimes miss having the ability to control the brew temperature with a simple flush/wait. I thought resetting the PID on the ECM would do it for me, but I find I just don't do that.

Are you saying you have more temp surfing on the Dual boiler than the HX machine? I think I might be misunderstanding what you were trying to say there.

Nick Name

Postby Nick Name » Jun 05, 2019, 12:26 pm

D_Prince wrote:I'm usually in a rush so the idea of the HX makes me a little nervous, not sure I want to deal with the temp surfing. That and It won't be plumbed at first, which might be a pain.

Temp surfing is a term usually used when trying to cope with the large deadband of unpidded single boilers.

With HXs you'll just do the cooling flush which is easy and fast to perform.

There are many HX machines with rotary pumps that can be plumbed in.

baristainzmking

Postby baristainzmking » Jun 05, 2019, 12:44 pm

D_Prince wrote:Such different machines... I'm the guy that buys once if he can, so I'm leaning towards the Pro 700. I do like technology so the DE1 tempts me, but funny enough outside my sous vide stick, I intentionally try to keep my kitchen equipment analog for longevity.

There is always the manual profiling add on from WLL but I haven't read anyone's experience with that. I'm also not leaning into pressure profiling anyway. Took me a while but finally came to the conclusion that I was stopping short of all I wanted with the Pro 600. Rather not save a little and make a remorseful purchase.

Thoughts?

Based on what you wrote, I would say you're practically ready to order the the Profitec Pro 700. I have a HX and temperature surfing gets old!!! My next machine will be a PID controlled dual boiler.
Julia

Ric858

Postby Ric858 » Jun 05, 2019, 1:54 pm

I've owned a pro 700 going on 5 years now. It's been rock solid. In that time, the only maintenance I've had to do was to change out some tubing and a t connector. Since the machine was so simply laid out, it was an easy task. I, like you, chose the PP700 because I didn't want to spend that kind of money on something that wasn't going to last.

I don't have any first hand experience with the DE1, but simply looking at its design, I don't think it will have the same longevity as the profitec. With that said, I have to admit that the bells and whistles on the DE1 intrigue me. I find myself wondering if I've hit the limits of what the pro 700 can do and if a machine with pressure profiling would make a significant difference in the quality of my espresso. I may just decide to add a flow control device to the PP700 or I may hold out for a while to see what the coming generations of profiling machines have to offer.
"Coffee is the lifeblood that fuels the dreams of champions."

mdreuben

Postby mdreuben » Jun 05, 2019, 4:29 pm

My opinion is that if you're the type of person who wants to control their shots in all possible ways then the DE-1 is a machine that provides this in spades.

At the same time, it's also a machine that you can set up once and never change a thing, so you really do have the best of both worlds.

Nunas

Postby Nunas » Jun 05, 2019, 5:06 pm

Are you saying you have more temp surfing on the Dual boiler than the HX machine? I think I might be misunderstanding what you were trying to say there.

Nope...I'm saying the reverse. Although the DB has the ability to change temp with the PID I don't feel inclined to do that. As the other responder said, flush and go//flush and wait techniques are child's play once you get used to them on a HX. So, with the HX I found myself experimenting much more with temp; but that could just be me. The DE 1 is like that in spades, you can control MANY variables with it (before hand); it may be the future of high tech espresso. What you can (yet) do is manually produce a shot, store the parms and then pull the same shot (I think...again, I don't have one).

slipchuck

Postby slipchuck » Jun 05, 2019, 7:40 pm

The DE1 is to me not a good looking machine
The 700 has that beat hands down

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”