Profitec Pro 600 vs new Drive and Grinder decisions? - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BurdMan (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by BurdMan (original poster) »

Still on the fence about the p100 and 01. They are both more than capable grinders and both are feature packed. $600-$700 less for a used p100 is a sizable chunk of change. They both have 98mm burrs so I can rest assured the flavors will be the same or extremely close. I can get a bunch of extras for $700 plus the $1000 I'm saving on my machine. First thing is a wafo basket (I've always wanted to try one). Or is the wafo all hype?

Jeff
Team HB

#32: Post by Jeff »

(Buy a Pullman and use Ahlstrom 909 filters while the dust settles on "fancy baskets".)

Supporter ♡

#33: Post by BurdMan (original poster) »

Have a Pullman big step and an ims precision $25 on Amazon, and been working perfect. Guess if not broke don't fix!

Jeff
Team HB

#34: Post by Jeff »

A P01 at $2900 delivered gets you the Mizen burrs in your choice of sizes. A used P100 most probably won't come with Mizen burrs. They are listed at $500 and sold out right now. They are both great grinders to work with. The P01 changed some of the fiddly things that people didn't love on the P100.

Supporter ♡

#35: Post by BurdMan (original poster) »

Ok Jeff, I think after much thought I'll get a new p64 with Mizen ES burrs over a P01. I think for $1200 less my taste buds aren't refined enough to justify the $1200 at this time. The reviews on the p64 are excellent and as you said in the beginning you even own one and love it. Plus I love the way it looks. Then I can take that $1200 and put it into coffee for my business and more specialty greens for me personally.

Do you think those are the best choice on burrs for strictly espresso? Or the SSP HU?

Thanks for guiding me through this crazy maze! I'm picking new so I get a warranty as well. When I'm ready the resale market is strong and I can go with the P01 in a year or two.

Or would you suck it up and get a used p100 if you can find one? That's right in the middle price wise. I'd still have $600-$700 to play with from a new p01 and like the p64 they sell in 1-2 days used

Or heck skip the extra coffee and dive into the P01 and call it the last grinder I'll ever have to buy and there will be no upgrade envy since it's got everything one would ever need. If you went that route would you do the 98mm or the 102 blind burrs? Problem with the 102s is if I want to upgrade I have to buy a carrier but with the 98s installed all I need is a screwdriver

I am so confused on these three choices!!! lol

Plus the more I look at the P01 the sexier it gets every time I see it no matter the color. I know 110% it would look amazing next to the Profitec

Jeff
Team HB

#36: Post by Jeff »

You've got the main advantages and costs seemingly understood as well as I think any of us can. There aren't any obvious answers as evidenced by the wide range of opinions about the "best" grinder, even for a narrow range of preferences.

Supporter ♡

#37: Post by BurdMan (original poster) »

Ok something I totally forgot. When I get the machine and grinder I can sell mine. Probably $500 a piece so that makes a HUGE difference on my decision! Think I'm doing the P01 in silver. Do I pick the 98mm or 102 blind? I'm thinking the 98mm because as I stated if I want to upgrade or change my 98s all I need is a screwdriver not a whole new carrier but the 102s have 18% more grinding area and much less retention of grounds. I figure those Mizen 102s are a very nice burr and I don't see myself replacing burrs for a long time. So even going with the 01 I'll have $1000 left over :). Bam! Problem solved!