Profitec Pro 600 vs new Drive and Grinder decisions? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BurdMan (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by BurdMan (original poster) »

I like to think I drink pretty good coffees and roasted by a very good roaster, me :). I've been roasting for just about 20 years this year and own my own roasting company. Sure I'm just a small guy but I pour all my efforts into turning out a good product. That being said I agree with most beans are not the best. Heck I usually have my own private stock of stuff I drink but don't sell. The higher end Ethiopian dry process and geishas. My go to has to be the Ethiopian dry process with its huge fruit forward flavors. I do drink others from time to time and it's stuff I buy specifically for myself and roast in my sample roaster. Tom at sweet Maria's has some real nice beans and that's where my private comes from. With that being said would you still go with a P64 or dive into the P01 or even the Kafetek like was mentioned?

Maybe I'll make a post to buy a used P100 or used Kafetek. That way I can save a few hundred dollars.

Jeff
Team HB

#22: Post by Jeff »

98 HUs, 98/102 Mizens and probably the Flat Max† burr sets will likely give you a lot more insight into your coffees than a Mazzer Mini. It's sort of a "red pill, blue pill" thing. Do you really want to know? I find the 64 Cast v2 burrs boring compared to 98 HU, 98 Mizen, Bentwood, or 64 MP. They seldom make a poor cup, but seldom match what I can pull out of high-end, light-roast coffees with high-extraction burr sets. That is probably part of the reason so many people enjoy them so much -- a bit more clarity than the traditional burrs, but not as revealing so defects in coffee or extraction skill are less evident.

† "Probably" on the Flat Max as I don't have enough personal experience with them.

Supporter ♡

#23: Post by BurdMan (original poster) »

I was looking at the used market for the P100 vs a new P01. Seems they hold their price and it's only roughly $300 discount for used. If I spend the extra $300 I can pick my burrs and it has all the updated goodies on it and a warranty. Plus I like the design on the 01 better. I was looking at the 102 Mizen burrs because of this

" The geometry and manufacturing of the Mizen burrs have been optimized and selected based on their ability to improve flavor separation to produce a sweet, juicy cup profile for specialty light roasts. Our goal is to allow the delicate nuances of the coffee to come to the forefront and take the center stage."

Not sure I'd fall in love with the looks of the Kafetek on my counter.

Jeff
Team HB

#24: Post by Jeff »

New, a P01 is about $2,900 including shipping to the US. I've seen P100s in the low $2,000s, so there is more than a $300 savings there.

Supporter ♡

#25: Post by BurdMan (original poster) »

Forgot about shipping thanks that makes it $2900 vs the $2300ish for used. I'm stuck between a new P64 and now a used P100. It's quite the jump. From approx $1750 shipped to the $2300 used P100. On the 64 I could go with the Mizen ES which I had my eyes on from the start. I liked the explanation of those burrs.

To sum it up not a clue which to pick!! Would be nice to keep the $550 in the bank or to use it for a Acaia lunar scale to upgrade mine and still have some left over.

Supporter ♡

#26: Post by BurdMan (original poster) »

UH OH there just got posted a used P64 for $1400 with the SSP HU burrs. the plot thickens....

Supporter ♡

#27: Post by BurdMan (original poster) »

OK I canceled my order of the Pro 600 since I found a flawless Pro 700 for over $1000 less than the new 600.

Now I can go with the new P01. I was thinking the Mizen 102mm blind as a burr choice for it. Or should I be looking for another set maybe something from SSP? Stinks that they're over $500 a set but if there is a ton of difference in the cup from the Mizen burrs I'd be more than happy to replace them. I would think the folks that designed the Mizen did their homework and are producing a top notch burr so I don't think there's a need to upgrade from stock.

Jeff
Team HB

#28: Post by Jeff »

For my tastes in coffee, the 98 Mizen burrs I was loaned for a few weeks performed well. I know of at least one fan of traditional espresso that enjoys them as well. While I enjoy the 98 HU burr set, I know that a lot of people find its clarity and acidity more than they prefer in a cup. I don't think that there is "a ton of difference in the cup" and, if there is, you may prefer the Mizens over the 98 HUs.

Supporter ♡

#29: Post by BurdMan (original poster) »

Good to know thanks. Sounds like they are forgiving. What's your take on the Mizen 98 vs the Mizen 102xl blind? Those are my choices for the grinder. Since they last so long I want to pick the right set from the get go.

Jeff
Team HB

#30: Post by Jeff »

I don't know anyone that has tried them side by side outside of Option-O. I would be surprised if there was a significant difference in the cup.