Profitec Pro 300 vs Rancilio Silvia Pro/Pro X

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dfuller

#1: Post by dfuller »

Hi all,

I'm getting pretty tired of the long heatup times and the linked brew and steam temperature of my MaraX, so I'm looking to move to a similarly sized dual boiler. I'm pretty limited on width, so that rules out the Breville Dual Boiler (aesthetics aside) and the Lucca A53/La Spaz Mini Vivaldi, and the Elizabeth is quite unpleasant looking to me.

So, between the Silvia Pro/Pro X and the Profitec Pro 300, which would you go for? They seem broadly comparable. All I've got at this point for feature differences are:

- Boiler size (300mL+1L vs 400+750mL)
- preinfuse, not that I'd ever bother using it, on the Pro X
- dual PID vs PID+pressurestat

So what's the move here?

makspyat

#2: Post by makspyat »

Pro 300 is excellent, reliable little machine. I absolutely love mine. But if I had to choose between those 2, I would probably get Silvia because of adjustable pre-infusion. If you get Pro 300, you may be left with desire to upgrade your machine in a year or two...

gobucks

#3: Post by gobucks »

I personally think the Profitec, Silvia, and Elizabeth all look pretty similar. Between the Profitec and the Silvia, I'd go with the Silvia Pro X - I'd much prefer to have at least one of preinfusion or flow control, without either you're really limited in what you can do with lighter roasts or denser beans.

The boiler differences seem pretty minimal - for a given heating element wattage, the larger ones might be slightly more stable between drinks, but the smaller ones will recover faster. If anything, I'd be a little concerned about the low wattage on the Profitec heating elements - I believe the US model runs 800w + 800w. In contrast, the Elizabeth runs 1200w + 1000w into a 300mL brew and 600mL steam boiler, respectively, and I've never experienced the steam pressure fade at all. After pulling a shot + running a flush to clear off the shower screen, my brew temp will drop from 201F to maybe 195F, and will have recovered within maybe 30s, not even enough time to reload, tamp, and lock the next shot into the portafilter. I'm not sure what the exact voltage on the Silvia is, according to the Rancilio website it's maybe 950-1000 for the US model, so it should reheat the boilers a bit faster than the Profitec.

Finally, dual PID should last longer than PID + pressurestat, and obv the steam PID should be more accurate.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Though I tend toward the Pro X over the Profitec Pro 300 myself, my quick read of the "Soft Infusion" feature is that is really isn't what many would consider variable preinfusion. I maybe mistaken, but I'd hate for someone to buy a machine over another with the expectation that it "did X" and find out that it was more marketing than "X".

gobucks

#5: Post by gobucks »

Jeff wrote:Though I tend toward the Pro X over the Profitec Pro 300 myself, my quick read of the "Soft Infusion" feature is that is really isn't what many would consider variable preinfusion. I maybe mistaken, but I'd hate for someone to buy a machine over another with the expectation that it "did X" and find out that it was more marketing than "X".
Yeah it looks pretty similar to the "bloom" preinfusion mode on the Elizabeth. Letting some water bloom in the puck is better than nothing, but not as good as the steam preinfusion mode on the Elizabeth, or the line pressure preinfusion on plumbed in machines. I'd prefer the more flexible preinfusion on the Elizabeth (obv, since I own it), but between the Profitec and Silvia, soft preinfusion is still better than nothing.

BodieZoffa

#6: Post by BodieZoffa »

dfuller wrote:Hi all,

I'm getting pretty tired of the long heatup times and the linked brew and steam temperature of my MaraX, so I'm looking to move to a similarly sized dual boiler. I'm pretty limited on width, so that rules out the Breville Dual Boiler (aesthetics aside) and the Lucca A53/La Spaz Mini Vivaldi, and the Elizabeth is quite unpleasant looking to me.

So, between the Silvia Pro/Pro X and the Profitec Pro 300, which would you go for? They seem broadly comparable. All I've got at this point for feature differences are:

So what's the move here?
I have the Silvia Pro and find it to be exactly what I want/expect in a machine. Build quality/components used is top notch to last indefinitely and it's a very solid performer in the demitasse time and time again. Recovery between back-back extractions is quite fast and mine has been flawless for going on 1 year now, averaging 6-7 doubles daily. Also will add that it generates very little heat to surroundings due to build/insulating and is quite efficient energy-wise. Can't comment on the pre-infusion on the X model as I've never relied on that with any machine. My take is pre-infusion/flow control are training wheels to make up for inferior grind quality, underdeveloped coffees and less-than-great puck prep. Call me old skool, but I like a machine that performs flawlessly/predictably day in/out for years and the Silvia line does exactly that. Simply no need to overthink the process as some tend to do.

JohanR

#7: Post by JohanR »

dfuller wrote: So, between the Silvia Pro/Pro X and the Profitec Pro 300, which would you go for? They seem broadly comparable. All I've got at this point for feature differences are:

I would also add:
- two separate pumps for brew and steam vs one shared
- no pressure gauge for the steam vs steam gauge
- pressure gauge for brew pump vs no pump gauge
In addition I am not sure 2-6 s of "soft preinfusion" would make much of a difference since no pressure is applied.
Johan

dfuller (original poster)

#8: Post by dfuller (original poster) »

So far it seems pretty one-sided in favor of the Silvia Pro. I suppose that's the move, then.

SutterMill

#9: Post by SutterMill »

gobucks wrote:I personally think the Profitec, Silvia, and Elizabeth all look pretty similar. Between the Profitec and the Silvia, I'd go with the Silvia Pro X - I'd much prefer to have at least one of preinfusion or flow control, without either you're really limited in what you can do with lighter roasts or denser beans.

The boiler differences seem pretty minimal - for a given heating element wattage, the larger ones might be slightly more stable between drinks, but the smaller ones will recover faster. If anything, I'd be a little concerned about the low wattage on the Profitec heating elements - I believe the US model runs 800w + 800w. I'm not sure what the exact voltage on the Silvia is, according to the Rancilio website it's maybe 950-1000 for the US model, so it should reheat the boilers a bit faster than the Profitec.
I'm not certain about the Silvia Pro X having a faster recovery. While its stated the boiler wattages are 1000 + 1200, the max wattage for the US machines is 1200 watts. The Profitec is 1600watts. I can say from experience the Profitec recovers quite quickly. The biggest problem of 300 suffers from is an antiquated design compared to the Silvia Pro X and Elizabeth.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

dfuller wrote:So far it seems pretty one-sided in favor of the Silvia Pro. I suppose that's the move, then.
I thought that you wanted faster warm-up?
- My espresso: Swirled, not stirred. My pourover: Stirred, not swirled.