Profitec GO vs ECM Casa V vs Lelit Victoria VS ??

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
kd8tzc

#1: Post by kd8tzc »

Hi all, new to the forum, but I have been frustrated by my little DeLonghi 3420 and would like to get something a bit better.

In searching this forum, it seems like these three espresso machines are right about at the max for my potential investment. What are the pros and cons of each?

I first came across the Profitec GO and it looks like a nice machine. I then stumbled upon the Lelit Victoria, and I thought someone said it was the ideal machine (and the Profitec GO might be something that is slightly better... but possibly that was just their opinion). But then I saw the ECM Casa V, and it looked very similar as well, and possibly the least expensive of the group.

How important is being able to adjust the pressure setting? I wouldn't think you would need to do this often (if ever), but maybe I am missing something.

I like how both the Profitec GO and the Lelit have the boiler temp indicator (and I think both can be adjusted).

Is there something else I should look at?

What important things separate these three though? I'm sort of new to brewing Espresso. I've had my unit for three years, but I really have not learned how do draw a good espresso yet, and I think the DeLonghi that I have is limiting my ability, potentially. I said the same thing about my golf clubs as an excuse to buy new ones, but my game didn't improve much :) .

Thanks!

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to HB!

Have you already used Search and read a few of the dozens of threads on these machines? If so, what specific questions do you still have?

Adjusting pressure is an "occasional" thing, more often if you are changing between "espresso" blends and making espresso with "filter" roasts.

What grinder do you have?

kd8tzc (original poster)

#3: Post by kd8tzc (original poster) »

Hi and thank you. I think part of the problem is I don't know what is important. I see all this about R61, PID, preinfusion, etc, and it makes my head spin.

I know what "looks nice" but that doesn't make a memorable cup of espresso.

To answer your question on my grinder, I have a Baratza Encore ESP. I really like it, and much better than the one I used.

I'm sure someone will ask what kind of espresso bean I like, and Lavazza Espresso Italiano (I believe that is considered a medium roast), For the evening though, I also like the Lavazza Dek Filtro, for a decaffeinated espresso in the evenings. I know, decaffeinated espresso?? I need my sleep, what can I say? :P

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

The grinder should be adequate for classic Italian blends as well as contemporary espresso blends.

The three machines are all very similar.

Nothing that claims "preinfusion" is going to be very useful in this class of machine. It also tends to be useful with lighter roasts, such as those typically used for "filter".

Watching the pressure gauge during a shot is not something I've ever done with a conventional machine. It's helpful for setting pressure or for telling that your pump is dying, but I wouldn't worry about where it is on the machine. You might change temperature as the last thing to try when dialing in. Still relatively infrequent use.

ECM and Profitec are "joined at the hip". The GO is a more recent model. I don't see a temperature adjustment on the Casa, but may have missed it. Lelit also makes good machines. Not much to really differentiate the GO and Lelit past external access to the OPV on the GO and where the steam knob is located.

Mike45
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Mike45 »

I recently purchased a Profitec Go, but was considering the same options as you are. I eliminated the Casa V because it was the same price as the Go, but did not have a PID for controlling temperature. The Lelit and the Go are much closer in terms of capability, with slight difference-the Go has an easier adjustment for pressure and the Lelit has pre infusion. I dont think either of these features is a material differentiator. The Lelit can still adjust for pressure, its just not as elegant. And the Lelit Victoria's pre infusion from what I hear is not very good. I was also warned by a Lelit supplier that the Victoria might be discontinued soon, which might make parts harder to get in the future.

So I chose the Go and I am so happy with it! It is very easy to use and by the second day I was making espresso that exceeded what I was getting at coffee shops. The workflow is efficient. It heats up quicky. And on the occasions where I want a milk drink, it heats up to steaming temperature in short order.

kd8tzc (original poster)

#6: Post by kd8tzc (original poster) »

Thanks all. I do really like the Protitec Go. One of the things I do like, and others may not really care for this, is it comes in something other than stainless or chrome. Yes, those look nice, but the dear wife made a good point that stainless shows lots of fingerprints and such.

One thing I noticed with my DeLonghi ECP 3420 is that the pressure is getting worse. I have no way of verifying that other than this morning it would not push anything through the portafilter. This is when having that gauge may have been at least a little informational. Most likely the valve that fails on these buggers is the issue. I would think if the water pump failed, I would hear a difference in the sound. I will likely fix it myself as my son-in-law has been looking for something like it. I can then just let him have it.