Profitec 600 vs. 700 - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by Plinyyounger »

Congratulations! Enjoy the ride!
Family, coffee and fun.

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) replying to Plinyyounger »

It's got to have a smoother ride than my last machine.

Advertisement
jrham12

#33: Post by jrham12 »

CS,

As discussed in another thread, I don't have a Pro 600 but I'm sure you'll love it compared to the one you're coming from!!!

Congratulations!! :D

Supporter ♡

#34: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Deleted

Supporter ♡

#35: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

jrham12 wrote:CS,

As discussed in another thread, I don't have a Pro 600 but I'm sure you'll love it compared to the one you're coming from!!!

Congratulations!! :D

Thanks for sharing your experiences with changing machines. I'm really hoping that dialing in and getting repeatable shot to shot extractions becomes more of a routine rather than Russian roulette. I don't mind being meticulous and zeroing in on variables as long as the target isn't moving around in ways I can't control. Did you have to dial in your temperature offset or was it accurate out of the box?

jgood

#36: Post by jgood »

I am a little confused about the concern with knowing the exact temp at the group or wherever in a DB -- to me it's like worrying about the exact size of the grind in microns. The important thing is repeatable results and predictable adjustments. That's the main advantage of a DB -- the temp can be set and will basically be pretty stable, as long as the machine is properly warmed up. If the flow is too fast grind finer -- the size of the grind is immaterial. Similarly one can experiment with slightly cooler or hotter brew temp. As long as a setting is repeatable and the change is predictable I don't think the absolute value is really needed. That said if you don't have a scale to weigh dose and output your results will be all over the place.

Supporter ♡

#37: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

I will be weighing everything to a 0.1th of a gram in and out. My question about the temperature offset was based of reports that people had machines FAR out of calibration from the factory. Like 10+ degrees. If that were the case you could conceivably be trying different temperatures within a reasonable range (197-202) and never be anywhere within that range in actuality. It is also useful to have an accurate offset if you are trying to follow a roasters recipe.

Advertisement
jrham12

#38: Post by jrham12 replying to PIXIllate »

Mine was within a couple degrees and I just tweaked it a little bit using the "Flash Boil test" mentioned in other threads...

@jgood - You are right in that consistency is most important once you get it dialed in to where you like it, but I want to know my temperature is fairly accurate for the reason mentioned above... To hit the recommended starting point from the roaster or to match the recipe provided from other users...

Josh