Profitec 300 vs 600/700 vs...?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
memyselfandhai

#1: Post by memyselfandhai »

Hi guys!

I started last weekend ready to buy a Gaggia Classic Pro as my first espresso machine, but after pouring through HB posts & WLL videos, it seems like going prosumer makes a huge difference and HX/DB is the way to go. I'm trying to stick to a 3k max budget, but wouldn't mind spending a bit more to prevent upgrading down the road. I think I'll mainly be making milk drinks, but hardly ever more than 2 back to back. Here are the machines that I've been comparing and are currently considering, which will be paired with an Eureka Mignon Silenzio...

Profitec Pro 300
+ dual boiler
+ PID
+ quicker to warm up than 600/700
- small-ish boilers, but might not be an issue with making just 2 drinks back to back
- so-so styling

Lelit Elizabeth
- very similar spec/price to P300

Profitec Pro 500
+ PID
+ great looks
- needs a group thermometer according to one user, might as well just upgrade to 600/700?

Profitec Pro 600
+ pretty much every feature out there
- takes a bit longer to warm up?
- getting pricey, but still doable

Profitec Pro 700/ECM Synchronika
+ additional option to plumb

Breville Dual Boiler
- scared off by durability/reliability issues

At this point I've pretty much narrowed down the choices between the 300 and the 600/700/Synchronika. Anything else I should consider (either issues or machines?) Have any other P300 owners felt the need to upgrade to something else (and if so, why)?

Thanks!

Stavey

#2: Post by Stavey »

For the money I don't think you'll beat a bdb in terms of features and flexibility.
If your goal is the best coffee with the most options then look at a Decent DE1
If you enjoy the nostalgia of pulling levers etc.. get the profitec. In today's market that's really the only reason to look at a machine like the profitec. That being said I plan on eventually setting a lelit Bianca next to my DE1 . Not because I need it but because I'm sure it would also make great coffee as would a profitec. But in the 3k range I'd only be looking at a Decent. Nothing else will come close. Believe me I looked.

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

If you're going to stick with medium-dark and darker "espresso" roasts and blends, any of those machines are suitable.

If you think that you might try lighter roasts or things not labeled "espresso", variable PI and temperature control become significant. Based on that, I'd prefer the Lelit Elizabeth over the 300 and the double-boiler units over the HX, especially with the flow-modulation kit. There are temperature-management rituals that can be effective with HX machines and an EricS thermometer. However, you can't add flow-modulation and retain the thermometer. PID on an HX steam boiler does virtually nothing for brew temperature. I'd also consider the Lelit MaraX with its unique temperature management approach.

The BDB uses many of the same internal components as the Italian units. If you objectively look at the "broken [Italian machine]" threads here along with the BDB threads, you may find the difference lies in the expectations that Italian machines will need maintenance and the BDB somehow magically won't.

With $2500 of your budget for the machine, you might be able to get a DE1 from their "cheap machine" list as another option to consider.

slipchuck

#4: Post by slipchuck »

I think that the pro 600 will last you a long time
As far as durability goes a good Italian machine with proper care and maintenance can last decades

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Icejava

#5: Post by Icejava »

Didn't see any reference to a grinder? Is it something you have already, or you need to purchase within that $3k figure?

memyselfandhai (original poster)

#6: Post by memyselfandhai (original poster) replying to Icejava »

I was thinking of going with the Eureka Mignon Silenzio. I've seen the Specialita highly recommended and the Silenzio seems very similar, just without the touch screen.

Yum

#7: Post by Yum »

I have the ECM synchronika it is great but be careful where you buy it from ! Someone promises he doesn't give ANY discounts even spending $7,500. on a few machines but they will be there for you anytime with help. Yea sure, if only they answered their phone OR CALL YOU BACK.# C.C.
sh** out of luck, your on your own
I CALL B.S.

Advertisement
makspyat

#8: Post by makspyat »

I was in the same boat 3 months earlier.

I got Profitec Pro 300, rather than Lelit or Breville.

I watched a few videos on YouTube, and got an impression that PP300 is better built - it is a tank. Breville Dual Boiler and Lelit Elizabeth are made from quite a few plastic parts.

I spent quite a bit more time looking at Lelit Mara X, which admittedly looks much better than Profitec, but decided against HX, because I mostly drink plain espresso and even Mara got about 5F variance, which would be noticeable.

In the end, I don't regret my choice and don't want more. PP300 is a simple machine with no fuss. Everything just works. It has enough steaming power for my simple needs. And it does not take much time to get warm, whenever I want coffee, which is better than any smart plug.

Icejava

#9: Post by Icejava »

Maybe the Rancilio Silvia Pro should also be on your list? It is more or less a competitor to the Profitec 300 & BDB. Personally I like it's style the best, and reliability should be high with it.

memyselfandhai (original poster)

#10: Post by memyselfandhai (original poster) »

Thanks for all the help guys! I ended up going with the Synchronika & Ceado E5P. It's a lot more than the Pro 300, but the price difference is easier to live over the course of a decade (or hopefully two) & wanted to mitigate upgrade-itis as much as possible. I was strongly considering the Decent DE1 as well, but wanted something a bit more hands on. Thanks again!