Problems with Synesso... - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bluesman

#21: Post by bluesman »

Andrewp wrote:I can only just fit the Synesso on my kitchen bench and after all its a piece of kitchen art so deserves to be on display!
Speaking of the real world, the one valid point my wife makes whenever I come across a commercial machine at a great price is that most home cabinets &/or counter tops won't support the weight. She's actually correct, although I haven't told her so for obvious reasons :lol: Check carefully - that could be a serious oversight.

Andrewp (original poster)

#22: Post by Andrewp (original poster) »

Thanks Dave! I had thought about that ''wee detail'' It will be placed on the corner of my bench which is stainless steel.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
bluesman

#23: Post by bluesman » replying to Andrewp »

And it's lighter there than it would be here because it's hanging upside down on the bottom of the planet :lol:

spressomon
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by spressomon »

bluesman wrote:Speaking of the real world, the one valid point my wife makes whenever I come across a commercial machine at a great price is that most home cabinets &/or counter tops won't support the weight. She's actually correct, although I haven't told her so for obvious reasons :lol: Check carefully - that could be a serious oversight.
Maybe your wife is subliminally asking for a kitchen remodel...complete with heavy weight bearing cabinetry :lol:
No Espresso = Depresso

bluesman

#25: Post by bluesman » replying to spressomon »

Hmmm - I could be in a spot of trouble if she reads this thread!

One topic we don't often see discussed on HB is adapting to an existing kitchen vs modifying it vs remodeling it. Bringing a Synesso or similar commercial machine into a home kitchen begs that question, since space is often at a premium on that scale. A single group Hydra is 19" wide, 24" deep, and 21" high - and it weighs 106 pounds empty. Logistics of power and water delivery can be challenging, starting with a 220V 20 amp circuit, a 3/8" water supply, and drip tray drainage. Even simple clearance for using controls, wands, etc is a problem in most domestic kitchens. It would make an interesting thread to hear how others have approached these decisions.

Truth be told, I use the kitchen much more fully than she does. I'm the adventurous cook. I bake, shuck shellfish, make pasta from scratch and cut it by hand, make my own sausage, etc. All she wants and needs is a kitchen that looks and feels good to her when she makes the 5 or 6 dishes she's been making for almost 50 years, as long as she has a drip machine she loves. We just bought her a new Cuisinart coffee maker because her 15 year old one finally died, and I got her a new Cuisinart grinder when we retired and moved into the apartment. It had been completely gutted and redone the year before we bought it, with a St Charles kitchen, SubZero, and high line cooktop, ovens, and dishwasher. So we were not about to remodel it to accommodate my espresso jones.

Fortunately, there was enough counter space between the sink and the refrigerator for my machine and grinder with about 2' of counter space for prep and other use. It's a "pullman kitchen" with counter space on both sides of the room and both sides of the sink - but if I took up the entire area allocated to espresso with a commercial machine, it would seriously impact our ability to cook. We talked about knocking out the wall between the kitchen and the dining room for a large island, and adding cabinets with counter space where the 30" cafe table now sits at one end. But we couldn't justify putting another $100k into the place at our age when it's quite nice right now (and we have neither plans nor desire to return to work after 5 fabulous years of retirement).

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by JohnB. »

bluesman wrote:Speaking of the real world, the one valid point my wife makes whenever I come across a commercial machine at a great price is that most home cabinets &/or counter tops won't support the weight. She's actually correct, although I haven't told her so for obvious reasons :lol: Check carefully - that could be a serious oversight.
I've had both my Bosco & my Speedster on an inexpensive Lowes countertop section sitting on some older cabinets at different times. No weight issues with either the cabinets or countertop.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by JohnB. »

Andrewp wrote:Lol...aw mate.... I was on a Speedster myself but my bench is 20mm (1/2 inch) too narrow!!!.... they are similar money
You only need 17.5" of width for the front feet.
LMWDP 267

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab

#28: Post by Andrewp (original poster) »

So David...what youre really admitting to now publicly is your scared of your wife!...lol...

Thats a familiar situation in my house also...

bluesman

#29: Post by bluesman »

Andrewp wrote:So David...what youre really admitting to now publicly is your scared of your wife!
Let's just say that we have mutual respect for each other's needs and desires :D

(And if I'm to be completely honest, she's tolerated far more of my excesses than I have of hers.)

#30: Post by Andrewp (original poster) »

Just as I suspected... your scared !