Pro-sumer espresso machine for work environment (~10 users) - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
GregoryJ

#21: Post by GregoryJ »

Does it have to be espresso? We use the Oxo 9 cup for about 6 of us, and brew 2 to 3 pots per day. I think 2 of those machines would serve you well. There is a nice communal aspect as well since everyone is anticipating the coffee together.

The thermal carafe keeps coffee warm for a while and it has a small batch mode for those couple people working odd hours.

mrjag

#22: Post by mrjag »

Whether or not you decide to replace your machine, it's worthwhile to pop the top on your BDB and see if it's easily serviceable. It's common for the GFI to trip while heating up if there is a minor o-ring leak near the boiler. The fix is cheap; I think I paid $0.79 for a bag of 100 o-rings and 1-2 minutes of effort to swap them out. Look around for wet spots or dried mineral buildup where the tubes connect to the boilers. To replace, you pull the small horseshoe shaped clip, disconnect the tube, swap the old o-ring for the new one, reconnect the tube, and insert the clip back in place. The whole process doesn't require any expertise or finesse other than making sure not to drop or lose the clip inside of the machine after you pull it out.

jyl

#23: Post by jyl »

Drip or pod option for the unwashed? So much easier, maybe they will migrate away from the espresso machine?

Also - dunno of this makes any sense - is there such a thing as a one-way (check) valve for steam? Seems that could prevent milk from being drawn into the boiler.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

Neto

#24: Post by Neto »

cimbali m21

delete000 (original poster)

#25: Post by delete000 (original poster) »

mrjag wrote:Whether or not you decide to replace your machine, it's worthwhile to pop the top on your BDB and see if it's easily serviceable. It's common for the GFI to trip while heating up if there is a minor o-ring leak near the boiler. The fix is cheap; I think I paid $0.79 for a bag of 100 o-rings and 1-2 minutes of effort to swap them out. Look around for wet spots or dried mineral buildup where the tubes connect to the boilers. To replace, you pull the small horseshoe shaped clip, disconnect the tube, swap the old o-ring for the new one, reconnect the tube, and insert the clip back in place. The whole process doesn't require any expertise or finesse other than making sure not to drop or lose the clip inside of the machine after you pull it out.
Thanks, I might give this a shot. Do you perhaps have a source for the right o-rings for the BDB handy?

delete000 (original poster)

#26: Post by delete000 (original poster) »

jyl wrote:Drip or pod option for the unwashed? So much easier, maybe they will migrate away from the espresso machine?
We in fact have free drip coffee available in the department. Somehow it fails to attract even people who don't put the slightest effort into pulling a decent espresso shot with the BDB. That said, our drip coffee setup is probably not great by any standards. I find bad drip and bad espresso equally disagreeable, but the user base here thinks otherwise.

mrjag

#27: Post by mrjag »

delete000 wrote:Thanks, I might give this a shot. Do you perhaps have a source for the right o-rings for the BDB handy?
I found it cheaper locally, but if all else fails, Amazon has it for $7. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FN0WYG

You can reference this video as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNZcCEMr7Z4