Pour over manual grinder <$200 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dreadnatty08

#1: Post by dreadnatty08 »

I'm in the market to replace my cheap burr grinder we use for drip with a manual one. Reason for manual is it's relatively quiet and I just make enough for a pour over so 20gm or so. Also, I feel like my money will go longer for a solid burrs with manual. I've researched way too much on this and have narrowed down to (and willing to be persuaded for something else) to:

1zpresso JX Pro (or non pro)
Kinu Phoenix
OE Fixie
OE Lido 3/ET

This is basically in order of where I'm sitting for what I want. I could possibly be pushed to go for a Comandante but is it really $50 better? The 1zpresso seems like the best bang for buck but if the savings all about origin of design/production or actual quality and longevity? The Phoenix is nearly perfect but is sold out everywhere and no idea when it'll be back in stock. OE's look to have a great following, I just hate the design of the Lido and wonder if the Fixie has enough flexibility for grind size (traveling with it isn't super important)? Thanks for advice!

lomolta

#2: Post by lomolta »

+1 for the JX-Pro. I have it myself and I'm overall very happy with it. In the German forum kaffee-netz a user compared it to the Commandante and said the 1zpresso is neither worse or better, approximately at the same level and that the taste is similar. Only the JX-Pro is faster than the Commandante.
If you can get your hands on the 1zpresso JS or KS, they sell them only at the local market in China, you could also buy one of them. Rn I'm waiting for my JS, which I ordered from AliExpress.
Rumor (=one post in a Chinese forum) has it, their burrs produce even less fines than the JX-Pro or Commandante (which produce nearly the same amount of fines according to that test in the chinese forum). :D

Edit: Just saw you only need around 20g, so the 1zpresso Q2 might be enough for you. Marketed as a grinder especially for pour-over and costs around the half of your budget.
★ Helpful