Popular Knock Box? - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Randy G.

#31: Post by Randy G. »

Capuchin Monk wrote:Which part of filter do you knock on the bar?
I use bottomless portafilters and knock on the basket. Always have and never caused a problem on any knockbox I had including one I made using a cake pan and an oak crossbar. The Decent has a particularly nice, cushioning cover on the crossbar.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

baldheadracing
Team HB

#32: Post by baldheadracing »

Ken5 wrote:I don't use a knock box, but imagine it can hold a bit of humidity. Any downside to having those vent holes directly under the grinder?
The knock drawers I've seen with holes have their holes either at the back or at the front, so that the holes are not under the grinder proper (which I suspect would not be good). If the holes are at the front then they should be under the doser/chute. If there aren't holes, then I would agree with this:
thesharpener wrote:... This drawer design does not have vent holes on the top, and when the water evaporates out of the spent pucks, it condenses on the top of the drawer and drips back down into the drawer, which can cause a bit of mold. So what I do is leave the drawer partially pulled out when not in use to facilitate better drying, and also empty it frequently.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ShotPull (original poster)

#33: Post by ShotPull (original poster) »

On mine you have to use the center of the basket because if you tried to use the neck, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the puck would be over the outer edge of the tub. I still don't know why I'm not having grinds fly all over my kitchen but so far (knock on ... well the knock box!!) so good!

MCal2003

#34: Post by MCal2003 »

ShotPull wrote:Thanks for all of the recommendations!

Quite the spread ... $20 to $120 ... and a fight broke out! :D

I have a septic tank so no coffee grinds down the sink for me. I might save some to spred around part of my foundation. I remember hearing ants don't like them. Their loss!
Anything that works for you and meets your wants and budget?

I just compost the coffee grounds. Rural home. Private septic system. Traditional tank and drain field.

Image of knock box attached. Stainless steel with replaceable bar and rim bumper. Purchased decades ago along with spare bar and rim. Still using original bar and rim. Unknown maker. Purchased it from either Chris Coffee, WLL, or 1stInLine. I like the design. Circular with a higher back. Large enough diameter to allow banging the filter or portafilter handle to dislodge the puck. Using bottomless portafilter. No issue with filter basket or puck screen dropping into the box when using a 1" brush between the bar and holder. Plus I can stack the intact spent puck to completely dry out before dropping into the box. Box easily holds a weeks worth(couple dozen) of pucks. Not drying out the bottom grinds start molding.

LMWDP #151

#35: Post by ShotPull (original poster) »

Very nice. Had I seen one just like that before getting the one I did end up with, I would have gone that route.

Now I have to find a place to keep the pucks between the time of creation to the time of dispersement outside. The little bucket on mind doesn't hold them many.

Thanks again to All.

Jeff
Team HB

#36: Post by Jeff »

I bought one of the "VEVOK CHEF Espresso Bucket Barista Style" (linked earlier by ShotPull) for $16 as a more compact alternative to the one-gallon, square pail with padded crossbar I've been using for many years. I was equally surprised that the pucks didn't end up anywhere but in the basket, but there's something about the geometry that just works.

It holds four full-sized pucks comfortably, maybe six. Probably twice that with pucks from classic Italian, domestic machines.

The logo is moulded in, not highlighted, and is not obtrusive.

Recyclables get picked up on Wednesdays here. That well-worn, dog-chewed, square poly pail will be in it.

roadman
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by roadman »

MCal2003 wrote: Stainless steel with replaceable bar and rim bumper. Purchased decades ago along with spare bar and rim. Still using original bar and rim. Unknown maker.
Your knock box is a Bumper designed by Paul Pratt. Works great and it's sturdy enough to pass on to your grandkids.
It's still being sold at Cafelat.

#38: Post by ShotPull (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:I bought one of the "VEVOK CHEF Espresso Bucket Barista Style" (linked earlier by ShotPull) for $16 as a more compact alternative to the one-gallon, square pail with padded crossbar I've been using for many years. I was equally surprised that the pucks didn't end up anywhere but in the basket, but there's something about the geometry that just works.

It holds four full-sized pucks comfortably, maybe six. Probably twice that with pucks from classic Italian, domestic machines.

The logo is moulded in, not highlighted, and is not obtrusive.

Recyclables get picked up on Wednesdays here. That well-worn, dog-chewed, square poly pail will be in it.
Well I'm glad I found that and I'm also glad I was able to help someone else. Early in the thread people linked or talked about similar ones on Amazon so they pointed me in the right direction and for whatever reason I honed in on that one. It's still doing great. I've been dumping it a couple of times a week into a larger bucket in the garage. When I get enough I'm going to spred it around in spots to see if it still works keeping ants away. Who knows, maybe today's ants like coffee now. Some feel it's an aquired taste after all!

espressotime

#39: Post by espressotime »

Big one .Bought it so my levergrip it 6'2.

caeffe

#40: Post by caeffe »

Most of us probably already have a knockbox and its probably one of those that we end up saying "someday I should upgarde it" but end up keeping it because its still functional enough but unfortunately something about it doesn't bring joy :) Probably not high on the upgrade list compared to grinder, machine, basket, tamper, etc...

I have one of those knockboxes, square shape with back that is higher than the front, stainless steel with what was a rubber covered steel knockbar, removable rubber bottom. The rubber around the knockbar is long gone so it now makes a loud bang and the removable ends of the knockbar tends to eventually loosen and gets wedged in making it hard to remove.

I think the Decent Knockbox design looks great being based on a curvy champagne ice bucket. I like its shape, and like that it has a muffled sound when knocking (based on the video shown, I don't have one). Biggest knock :lol: I have is that its too big. A bit pricy but I think justifiable based on materials and aesthetic. However, wish it has a lid as I don't like the aroma, or more properly, the odor of spent pucks, especially 20-25 of them. Maybe if it was smaller it would work for me.

The small Cafelat Tubbi is probably an example of the size that would work for me.

Here's an example of one with a lid: https://www.amazon.com/Walnut-Elegant-D ... 6383HFT7T2

I'm surprised not more folks here praise it in terms of its functionality
https://www.orphanespresso.com/CODA-Kno ... _5665.html
Like that it has a lid and a removable bottom, fits over a sink so one can rinse your french press or pourover grounds into it without the grounds going into the pipes and clogging up the works.

Now if someone made one that has the features of the OE Coda, the size of the Tubbi, the shape, aesthetics of the Decent... well... someday :)
LMWDP #162