Popular Knock Box? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Capuchin Monk

#21: Post by Capuchin Monk »

I'm not sure if they still use it or not but when I visited Italy in the 90's, the typical knock bar they use is soft wood spanning across the rectangular metal knock box. The portafilter digs in slightly each time it's knocked on it (at the neck of portafilter). The bar holding bracket is designed such that the bar can be replaced easily. Anyone been to Italy lately and seen it?

drgary
Team HB

#22: Post by drgary »

I've used Rattleware since early on. They're very sturdy a decade later. Here's my wooden one with the splash guard in an old office. I also have two of the ones where the case is hammertone powder coated. It's nostalgic to see this, since I'm now retired.

Here's one going further back, showing a metal-cased one.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Plinyyounger

#23: Post by Plinyyounger »

I have a stainless steel kitchen trash bin near my machine, I use that because I don't like things in my counter top.
Big 98mm flat grinder, been there done that, sold it. I’m happy now.

ShotPull (original poster)

#24: Post by ShotPull (original poster) »

An update: The kids had their own ideas for Father's Day so I was on my own and bought this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093V3CJNB?ps ... ct_details

When I saw how small it was and how the bar was right in the center, I nearly returned it. I pictured the puck not having anywhere to go and grinds flying around everywhere. Well none of that happened. Somehow it drops right in and not a speck on the counter. Looks like it's a keeper.

Thanks again for all of the replies.
★ Helpful

Randy G.

#25: Post by Randy G. »

I bought the Decent knockbox. It was easier at the time I was assembling my bar setup. It's big and does take up a good amount of space which I have, but because of that it's not for everyone. Its large mouth catches everything, and that, along with the coating, makes it very easy to clean. It would work as a jack stand in an emergency as well as being suited for hand-to-hand combat.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 21st Anniversary 2000-2021 *

Ken5
Supporter ★

#26: Post by Ken5 »

That knock box drawer looks interesting.

I don't use a knock box, but imagine it can hold a bit of humidity. Any downside to having those vent holes directly under the grinder?

CSME9

#27: Post by CSME9 »

[quote="ShotPull"]An update:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093V3CJNB?ps ... ct_details

When I saw how small it was and how the bar was right in the center, I nearly returned it. I pictured the puck not having anywhere to go and grinds flying around everywhere. Well none of that happened. Somehow it drops right in and not a speck on the counter. Looks like it's a keeper.

I have a very similar Tubbi box holds 6-8 pucks works great. Affordable price.

thesharpener
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by thesharpener »

I've had three knock boxes, I think all were pretty good.

A small, square, plastic Cafelat box. My only complaint was that because it was so compact, sometimes not all the grounds made it into the box, and it needed to be frequently emptied and cleaned.

The Decent knockbox, which was great for catching stray grounds, and held a lot of pucks. Except the way the top flared out to catch flying grounds makes it take up more 3D space. I have a small-ish espresso area, so spatially this didn't work for my setup.

Currently I have a Joe Frex drawer knock box. This drawer design does not have vent holes on the top, and when the water evaporates out of the spent pucks, it condenses on the top of the drawer and drips back down into the drawer, which can cause a bit of mold. So what I do is leave the drawer partially pulled out when not in use to facilitate better drying, and also empty it frequently. Aside from this, it is an excellent knock box. I don't keep my grinder on top of the drawer, but I do use the top for storing tools (tamper, WDT tool, dosing cup, scale).
Pete - LMWDP #572

ShotPull (original poster)

#29: Post by ShotPull (original poster) »

I'm surprised at the value on the one I picked up. The bar that goes across is thick and sturdy AND made of a soft exterior that won't damage the unit or the portfilter. It also has a non-slip base. I'd buy it again.

Capuchin Monk

#30: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Randy G. wrote:I bought the Decent knockbox.
Which part of filter do you knock on the bar?