Please help me upgrade my grinder! Budget < $1000.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dliebs

#1: Post by dliebs »

I have a Rancilio Rocky and a Crossland CC1. Looking to pick up a dual boiler machine so I need to upgrade my grinder. Mainly considering the Sette 270 or 270Wi, Eureka Specialita, and a used Eureka Atom 60 that I can get for around $600.

What did I miss that I should consider? I may want to single dose.

Thanks!

esbndk

#2: Post by esbndk »

I am in same situation. How to determine what a good grinder is....

I am landing on a grind on demand type, 65mm and over, so I am currently considering Eureka Atom line.

Currently I have a Eureka 50mm old model Mignon Instanteneo. I modded it to single dose with a plexi pipe and bellows.
But as I am already weighing before and after, I would like to just dose in to portafilter and weigh it until I hit the target.

Also have the Sette 270W - but i have come to detest it : ) No but the grind setting is not for me. Having to go through the indents on the top dial, then guess what the lower "stepless" should be at now that I have changed the top one, just writing about it makes me uncomfortable. It also broke and I had to fix it. And it is so noisy, and the tone of the noise is so annoying...

So as you are, I am also considering the Atom line, but which one?

My questions are about burr size to burr chamber ratio or AKA dead space;

How much money should I throw after the optimal ratio?

I could just circumvent the issue by getting a Mignon XL or the Mignon Turbo - As the burr chamber is just made for 65mm - so no wasted space to accommodate for larger burrs in the model lineup.
But I have fallen prey to to the looks of the Atom... And the small issue of how to manual dose. On the Atom you press the button in and it grinds, let go an dit stops.
On Mignon you press to grind and press to stop.

These are my thoughts, maybe you can use it for inspiration? And just maybe someone knowledgeable can chime in on dead space...

Advertisement
luvmy40

#3: Post by luvmy40 »

dliebs wrote:I have a Rancilio Rocky and a Crossland CC1. Looking to pick up a dual boiler machine so I need to upgrade my grinder. Mainly considering the Sette 270 or 270Wi, Eureka Specialita, and a used Eureka Atom 60 that I can get for around $600.

What did I miss that I should consider? I may want to single dose.

Thanks!
Easiest answer is the Niche Zero and/or the Turin DF64.

Niche Coffee is saying all models will be shipping March, 20222

https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/products/niche-zero

Espresso Outlet has the DF64 on preorder status at a fantastic price right now. Less than I paid for a used DF64.

https://www.espressooutlet.net/turin-64 ... 49EALw_wcB

I have and use both daily. I would not give up either, even if I could lay hands on a Monolith of any flavor.