Please help me upgrade! Budget under $2000, can't decide between lots of espresso machine choices...

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dliebs

#1: Post by dliebs »

tldr; Silvia Pro, Silvia Pro X, Breville Dual Boiler, Lelit Elizabeth, Profitec Pro 300, or something else? I make mainly milk-based drinks, so I'm leaning towards a double boiler. I'd like to keep it under $2K.

I have a Rancilio Rocky grinder and a Crossland CC1 (started with a refurbished Starbucks/Saeco Sirena from SCG and then upgraded to the CC1). I've had the CC1 about 4 years. For the last 6 months or so, the steam wand has been super finicky. I've used Rinza and Dezcal and done all the things (including emailing Bill Crossland), but I can't make foam anymore. Takes forever to heat up the milk, the steam power is very inconsistent, for some periods it won't produce any steam but only water, and it spits water while steaming. I took to microwaving milk just so it would be hot enough. I just took it to a shop to be diagnosed and they told me there's nothing wrong with it. They must have missed something--I have photos of microfoam from years past...sigh.

Any thoughts about coupons/discounts/etc.? I don't think I can wait till Black Friday...

I think I give up and it's time to upgrade. Debating between a Rancilio Silvia Pro, Rancilio Silvia Pro X, Breville Dual Boiler, or Lelit Elizabeth. If there's anything else somewhat programmable with a dual boiler under 2k that I haven't mentioned, please do suggest it. I love the look of the E61 machines, but I don't really want something totally manual.

Also, I found a Silvia Pro store model that's like $100ish less than full price, so 1500ish. Do I grab that or wait for a Pro X to come back in stock (if I liked the pink, I could buy it now...)?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

dliebs (original poster)

#2: Post by dliebs (original poster) »

Trying again... After much research, I'm looking at:

Rancilio Silvia Pro X
Lelit Elizabeth
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi ii
Profitec Pro 300

Any personal experiences appreciated. There's nowhere nearby I can go to play with them in person. I make mostly milk drinks but would like to be able to pull a nice espresso, too.

Advertisement
cmin

#3: Post by cmin »

Out of those, easily either Viv or Lelit, Vivs pull excellent shots and Elizabeth has a unique preinfusion system. Saw you had CC1 lol, had one back when those launched like 10+ years ago. Had other machines but kept that thing around packed up. I had a Profitec 300 and the CC1 pulled better shots, the 300 was a pos. Replaced parts, scace'd it, everything, shots sucked on it even with Monolith. Had two repair shops even check it and they couldn't figure it out either, had 6 other 300 owners contact me with same issues, so maybe some get a good one or a pos ha

makspyat

#4: Post by makspyat »

Not trying to contradict the post above: anecdotally this person's Pro 300 may have some issues.

Contrary to this single instance, there is a plenty of happy Pro 300 owners in the dedicated thread on HB and on Reddit.

I agree that Pro 300 has outdated design which may impair the taste of the lightest roast, but other than that, it is a workhorse. Can it make a good coffee? You bet!

GregoryJ

#5: Post by GregoryJ »

I'd probably go for the la spaziale since it's commercially rated. But I'd have to get the auto start dongle ($50) so it can be used with a smart outlet.

NHB

#6: Post by NHB »

I vote for Lelit Elizabeth. I asked a similar question not too long ago.

Lelit Elizabeth / Profitec Pro 300 vs Lelit Bianca / Profitec Pro 700

I was going to get BDB, but it was out of stock. I ended up getting the Elizabeth and couldn't be happier. I can't imagine I need any features that the Elizabeth doesn't have. I honestly don't think a more expensive machine can help me to make better espresso unless you want to experience flow / pressure control or you want to have Decent level control / monitoring.

One big difference between Pro 300 and Elizabeth is pre infusion. The Elizabeth heat up so faster and fit my needs better than the E61 machines in the $3k range. I didn't have a budget issue. I could have easily bought the Pro 700 or ECM Sync.

NHB

#7: Post by NHB »

One more thing to add - the steam wand is on the right side of Elizabeth and it is on the left side of Pro 300. It also made a big difference to me given my kitchen configuration. It might not matter to you, but it is something to be aware of.

Advertisement
dliebs (original poster)

#8: Post by dliebs (original poster) »

Might look at the Lucca a53 which is basically the same thing as the Vivaldi. Clive's Coffee says this: "The LUCCA A53 now comes equipped with Bluetooth connectivity to sync with the S1 Timer App available on Apple and Android to program automatic machine heat up and cool down by date and time."

That miiiight make the difference for me.

cmin

#9: Post by cmin replying to dliebs »

I had a Lucca M58, yeah Clive has certain models that are tweaked versions of X company, ie Quickmill, Vivaldi etc. Vivs are very good and yeah its an oddball basket size, but they pull damn good shots that have that similar thickness/mouthfeel that levers which 99% have similar small diameter baskets vs 58mm. Great power and dry steam as well.

dliebs (original poster)

#10: Post by dliebs (original poster) »

cmin wrote:Out of those, easily either Viv or Lelit, Vivs pull excellent shots and Elizabeth has a unique preinfusion system. Saw you had CC1 lol, had one back when those launched like 10+ years ago. Had other machines but kept that thing around packed up. I had a Profitec 300 and the CC1 pulled better shots, the 300 was a pos. Replaced parts, scace'd it, everything, shots sucked on it even with Monolith. Had two repair shops even check it and they couldn't figure it out either, had 6 other 300 owners contact me with same issues, so maybe some get a good one or a pos ha
Ha. The CC1 was an upgrade after a Starbucks/Saeco Sirena refurbished from SCG. I will say that although the repair said nothing was wrong with it so they didn't do anything to it, now the steam wand works again. Maybe it just needed someone to open it up and poke around. Who knows. Either way, would still like to upgrade. Thanks for the advice!