Please help me to not buy an espresso machine from Starbucks - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
networkcrasher

#21: Post by networkcrasher »

Supposedly QuickMill makes a good, dedicated steamer. Combine this with whatever method you choose for making your espresso (Nespresso, Mokka, etc), and you could make a latte in short order, with minimal fuss.

I would say the most important part of your mission is finding a good steamer. The espresso certainly plays a part in the beverage, but IMHO, the milk texture really makes milk drinks shine.

That, and good chocolate. After going through quite a bit of different chocolate sauces and syrups (the wife sure is demanding!), I landed on Monin's Dark Chocolate sauce.

jessabelle (original poster)

#22: Post by jessabelle (original poster) »

Hey everyone! I hunted down Crema last weekend at portamento's suggestion and HOLY FREAKING CRAP that was a great mocha!!! Best mocha of my life. It makes the bux taste like chocolate water. Everything about it was a thousand times better...the taste, the texture, the price (less than the bux, who just had another price increase, btw). Jman's description of microfoam was spot on to what I was served at Crema. That is what I am going to be able to do one day in my own house, come hell or high water.

I tried a shot of espresso, too. I'm sure that it was wonderful espresso, but that is definitely *not* for me...yet lol.

So now I'm thinking that I really should invest the money into a great grinder and a good machine. That one little mocha changed my entire outlook on this. I'm now a believer in "good" espresso! New short term plan is conducting more research on great grinders, good machines, and continuing the learning curve :D

CRCasey

#23: Post by CRCasey »

jessabelle wrote: So now I'm thinking that I really should invest the money into a great grinder and a good machine.

That one little mocha changed my entire outlook on this.

I'm now a believer in "good" espresso!
Now all we have to do is get you interested in lever machines and we will be one convert closer to World Domination!

Honestly I am glad you have had your eyes opened to what will become a lifelong learning (and some say spending) experience.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

jessabelle (original poster)

#24: Post by jessabelle (original poster) »

lol Cecil! Going to starbux every day (sometimes twice) is what I call a lifelong spending experience. It's time to stop the insanity.

sweaner

#25: Post by sweaner »

Well Jess, you've really done it now! You have crossed the threshold onto the slippery slope of espresso...no climbing back.
Scott
LMWDP #248

portamento

#26: Post by portamento »

jessabelle wrote:Hey everyone! I hunted down Crema last weekend at portamento's suggestion and HOLY FREAKING CRAP that was a great mocha!!! Best mocha of my life. It makes the bux taste like chocolate water. Everything about it was a thousand times better...the taste, the texture, the price (less than the bux, who just had another price increase, btw).
Jessica,

Reading this made my day.

Ryan
Ryan

Sherman

#27: Post by Sherman »

jessabelle wrote: Step 1: Please help me to not buy an espresso machine from Starbucks

Step 2: So the espresso quality isn't so important to me since a) I've been drinking Starbucks for years and b) I'm just going to cover it up with a whole bunch of other stuff.

Step 3 : I'm now a believer in "good" espresso!
*tents fingers*

Excellent... :twisted: Maybe not quite LMWDP, but at least well on the road to HBWDP :D

-s.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

lgo1957

#28: Post by lgo1957 »

jessabelle wrote: So now I'm thinking that I really should invest the money into a great grinder and a good machine. That one little mocha changed my entire outlook on this. I'm now a believer in "good" espresso! New short term plan is conducting more research on great grinders, good machines, and continuing the learning curve :D
So what did you end up buying? Inquiring minds want to know!! :)