PLEASE help me! 4 months of indecisiveness has led me here to ask you what espresso setup I should get?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
catchaperone

#1: Post by catchaperone »

Please, someone... Put me out of my misery. Within the course of 4 months (possibly longer) in which I've been saving up for my setup, I have changed my mind countless times. The minute I think I've decided 100%, I'll read something or watch a video and I'll get confused all over again.

In the beginning, I was going to get a Breville Barista Express... Then it changed to a Rancilio Silvia, then to a Coffee.969 Elba 3, then I had a brief moment of insanity and decided I should jump straight for a Lelit Bianca, then I was like... No, pump the breaks, let's think about a Lelit Mara X? But then after seeing there were several versions of the Mara (one has a PID on the front of it... One has two PIDs that are hidden) I was thoroughly confused and gave up on that. I also briefly considered the Lelit Elizabeth, which seems like an amazing machine, but the aesthetics of it really turn me off. So now, I have landed with Profitec. One minute I was sure the Profitec 300 was the machine for me, but I also know that many people love the Profitec 500... So there's still confusion there.

Thank you for joining me on that brief decent into the insanity that has been my brain for the last few months. I am close to giving up all together, but let me just try to take a deep breath and explain to you all which grinder I am going to purchase and what is important to me/what I will be primarily using my machine for so that some brave soul might help me out:

My dream grinder is the Niche Zero; however, because I live in the U.S., it is only sold from 1 retailer and that retailer is currently sold out. Therefore, my next choice is a Sette 270 for the time being and hopefully sometime in the future I will upgrade to a Niche.
As for use, I will mainly be making drinks for my mom and I. We both love iced lattes (so no steaming required there); however, latte art really intrigues me and I would love to practice it as a new hobby. I don't plan on entertaining large crowds very often. I may serve up to 6 people, but that would be a rare occasion.

I think functionally speaking, the Lelit Elizabeth sounds like it's everything I'm looking for, but what breaks my heart is that I can't stand looking at it. I really love mirror finishes, classic Italian design, and hefty, beautiful portafilters... I know I shouldn't get caught up with looks, but for the price I'm shelling out, I want to enjoy looking at my purchase.

As you can see, I need a LOT of help. So if anyone wants to make any suggestions and steer me in the right direction, I would be incredibly appreciative of it! Thanks!

jgood

#2: Post by jgood »

As I assume it's your first machine I would avoid HX machines like the Profitec 500. I would get a double boiler, if at all possible, as then temp management is not variable to deal with. There are many good choices in E61 machines - I have a Quick Mill -- but all the major manufacturers make them. For an inexpensive (for espresso) grinder I have a Barartza Vario -- it's been pretty good. Where you buy your machine from is also important -- you want someone who you can call if you need help or service. I'm in Los Angeles -- I had a machine shipped from NY as it was the only dealer who had the model I wanted and they have a good reputation-- but in any case the major suppliers are all out of our state. No experience with the Profitec 300 but I did read a horror story on this site -- no idea if the problems the poster had are in any way typical. It is not an E61, however. What is your total budget? And remember, you'll need a good tamper, a scale and a steaming pitcher, so allow a little for that.

Advertisement
Plinyyounger

#3: Post by Plinyyounger »

I'm glad you are asking for help after putting a lot of thought into the process. There is no easy answer unfortunately. You have mentioned some great machines. I would concentrate on reliability and the style you want. Although I have a Profitec machine (700) I'm not going to try and sell you on that brand just because I own one. However, please please look at the threads regarding machine repairs and or issues. This is the main reason I chose what I did.

If I were in your shoes knowing what I know now I'd choose either a Profitec 700, 800, ECM, Decent DE1, londinium lever or La marzocco linea in no particular order just depends on what you want to accomplish. You will find fans of all types of machines and most are worthy of praise! Decide where you think you will be in this hobby 6 months from now and chooses a machine that gets you there.

You can order the niche in the USA no problem, I wouldn't even go through the distributor, I'd buy direct through their campaign, most do it that way.
Family, coffee and fun.

cccpu

#4: Post by cccpu »

Obligatory BDB recommendation
LMWDP #583

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

Buy the Niche direct, like most seem to.

DE1+, BDB, Lelit/ECM/Profitec double boiler with flow control now or later.

Avoiding HX machines other than the MaraX is, in my opinion, a wise choice.

Choice among machines depends on budget and how strong your desire for "classic" looks might be.

catchaperone (original poster)

#6: Post by catchaperone (original poster) »

.. I

#7: Post by catchaperone (original poster) »

Plinyyounger wrote:I'm glad you are asking for help after putting a lot of thought into the process. There is no easy answer unfortunately. You have mentioned some great machines. I would concentrate on reliability and the style you want. Although I have a Profitec machine (700) I'm not going to try and sell you on that brand just because I own one. However, please please look at the threads regarding machine repairs and or issues. This is the main reason I chose what I did.

If I were in your shoes knowing what I know now I'd choose either a Profitec 700, 800, ECM, Decent DE1, londinium lever or La marzocco linea in no particular order just depends on what you want to accomplish. You will find fans of all types of machines and most are worthy of praise! Decide where you think you will be in this hobby 6 months from now and chooses a machine that gets you there.

You can order the niche in the USA no problem, I wouldn't even go through the distributor, I'd buy direct through their campaign, most do it that way.
Thank you so much for the feedback! Reliability, quality, and being able to easily maintain and service a machine is very important to me and it seems as though Profitec definitely holds that reputation.
What is your opinion on a Profitec 600? It's a dual boiler but it's a few hundred dollars cheaper, which would give me a little more money to budget on other things like a grinder and accessories.

Advertisement

#8: Post by catchaperone (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Buy the Niche direct, like most seem to.

DE1+, BDB, Lelit/ECM/Profitec double boiler with flow control now or later.

Avoiding HX machines other than the MaraX is, in my opinion, a wise choice.

Choice among machines depends on budget and how strong your desire for "classic" looks might be.
Thank you for the recommendations and advice!
I'm thinking about the Profitec 600 now... Would you go for the Profitec 600 or an ECM? I haven't really researched ECM. All I know is that ECM is the sister company of Profitec.

Plinyyounger

#9: Post by Plinyyounger »

catchaperone wrote:Thank you so much for the feedback! Reliability, quality, and being able to easily maintain and service a machine is very important to me and it seems as though Profitec definitely holds that reputation.
What is your opinion on a Profitec 600? It's a dual boiler but it's a few hundred dollars cheaper, which would give me a little more money to budget on other things like a grinder and accessories.
Stainless steam boilers along with German engineering and Italian made. The 600 is a good choice that will make great espresso. It uses vibration pump and therefore also uses a reservoir and can't be plumbed in. But most Don't plumb in their machines anyway. That machine will give you 2 bars of steam pressure which is very nice and the E61 group is stable and can be controlled via the PID. It's a great machine. You won't be disappointed.

I would recommend really looking at your budget, and your personality seriously. Our personalities can dictate where this hobby goes. Some of us, me included continue the journey to look for something just a little bit better then we have, lol. Is that you? Be realistic, if it is you, keep doing research because it can be an expensive choice. If not, the 600 is fantastic.

Use any money you save on the machine choice and put into a great grinder.
Family, coffee and fun.

Jeff
Team HB

#10: Post by Jeff »

As far as I can tell, between ECM and Profitec are a matter of the specific features and knobs you want. For me, double boiler with PID control is essential. The ability to fit a flow-management valve, as I pull light roasts, would be key (less so with medium and darker). Volumetric controls don't offer me any benefit. Rotary vs. vibe or plumb-in don't make much of a difference for me.

The ECM, Profitec, and Lelit dual boilers will all make great espresso. Between them seems to be primarily personal preference and budget. A steam wand or knob in an awkward place will annoy you more than the subtle differences in the cup between models in the upper range of E61 dual boilers among those makes. I know, you can't try them to see, but if, for example, you're left handed and something you need to touch often is tight against the right of the hot group head, well, that's bad.

Budget first

(Sounds like your set on an E61, so that eliminates my first choices)

Emotional appeal next