Past and current Decent Espresso users, DE1+ or Pro? - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Stavey

#41: Post by Stavey »

That's unfortunate as the overview of the pro states extended warranty. When actually nothing is extended past 2 years ? Oh well. I would still pay the $300 extra. For a machine that's rated at 20x more shots with more robust valves and pump. I'm sure either will do just fine but for the little extra , why not ?

Iowa_Boy

#42: Post by Iowa_Boy » replying to Stavey »

Overall, seems hard to go wrong with either one. Not sure which valves are different between DE1+ or DE1PRO, or how hard they are to user replace. Even if you get the DE1+, you could get the IMS screen, mirror lip, and 2 spare PRO pumps and still be ahead to replace valves if they eventually fail (assuming those valves are user replaceable). Seems like either option is a good choice.

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by Plinyyounger »

Thanks everyone for the feedback it is nice to hear from the manufacturer in this thread as well as the email they sent and I shared. I am going to go with the DE1+. I am ordering the upgraded shower screen and three hole steam tip. I also will be ordering the blemish black body which I can paint for a customized look, you'll have to wait and see what I do with that but I have a couple cool ideas.

Thanks for all the help. Possibly be on the lookout for a new Pro 700 if I indeed fall in love with the Decent.

jevenator

#44: Post by jevenator » replying to Plinyyounger »

Enjoy your machine and we'll probably hear from you in the Diaspora
LMWDP #643

Zwiggy

#45: Post by Zwiggy »

decent_espresso wrote: Bottom line:
- the DE1+ was meant for home users, where 10,000 shots, at 3 shots a day, every day, is minimum 10 years of use.
-john
Is flushing recommended before pulling shots on this machine? if so would that be counted as a "shot"?

if you also include dialing in shots as well you could be looking at say 4.5 per day (with 3 actually drinkable shots) per day in that case.

decent_espresso
Sponsor

#46: Post by decent_espresso »

Zwiggy wrote:Is flushing recommended before pulling shots on this machine? if so would that be counted as a "shot"?
Flush is a separate button and is not counted as a shot.

Jeff

#47: Post by Jeff »

First thing in the morning, I flush once for a couple seconds to fill the water paths if I'm using Stop At Volume. Between shots, like any machine, a quick flush as a screen rinse then wipe.

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by Plinyyounger »

Machine and accessories purchased! Let's do this!

decent_espresso
Sponsor

#49: Post by decent_espresso »

Zwiggy wrote:Is flushing recommended before pulling shots on this machine? if so would that be counted as a "shot"?

if you also include dialing in shots as well you could be looking at say 4.5 per day (with 3 actually drinkable shots) per day in that case.
Just to be give a bit more clarity on this issue, as people to be obsessing over the 10,000 shot number.

We have never asked a home user who is having a technical problem, how many shots they have pulled.

The DE1+/DE1PRO model split is there so that if a cafe has a technical problem, and it emerges that they bought the DE1+ model, then they get lightly scolded by us for having bought the wrong model for their use.

We usually do repair the machine for free, but if it breaks again, we'll ask them to pay the $400 difference and we'll send them a refurbished DE1PRO, as that's the right model for their heavier use. We're likely to ask this customer (who bought the DE1+ and used it in a cafe) to pay the shipping costs, though, but we do have repair centers in most countries now.

As the USA is very litiginous, what we have in our warranty is not necessarily indicative of what will actually happen. We can be more generous.

Two examples:

1) A DE1+ owning cafe, we repaired for free, as we were grateful for early feedback about the part which failed. It turned out that DE1PRO machines would have had the same problem they had, which was due to thermal cycling causing a moulded part to crack. That part was the same in the DE1+ and DE1PRO, so even if they had spent on a DE1PRO, it would have failed. That part is FYI now fiberglass reinforced and hasn't failed since (this was 2 years ago).

2) A DE1PRO professional customer used his 2 machines to cater out in the open desert. Vast amounts of dust got into his machines, and he never did any cleaning cycles. The dust built up and really gummed up most of the machine We repaired it for free the first time, and a lot of parts were swapped out. The second time it broke, the machine was declared unsalveagle, but we sold him a used replacement at half price. He now has an excellent cleaning regimen and hasn't had a problem since (about 2 years ago, as well).

Other than people dropping their tablets or water tanks on the ground, I don't think we've yet to charge for any replacement parts or repairs, regardless of how long they've had their Decent.

But we can't put that in the warranty.

Personally, I think reading forums, and finding out how a company actually behaves by hearing from real customers, is much more valuable than what's in the legalese.

-john
★ Helpful

luvmy40

#50: Post by luvmy40 »

This last post from decent_espresso just solidified my position on the Decent Espresso machine. I find this level of ethical business practice and open communication to be extremely refreshing and, unfortunately unexpected in today's world.

IF I buy another machine, it WILL be a Decent DE1+.