Orphan Espresso LIDO for espresso?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
tag1260

#1: Post by tag1260 »

Are all the OE Lido's good for espresso? Not just the Lido-E but all models? Any others in that price range good for espresso also? Thanks

coocooffee

#2: Post by coocooffee replying to tag1260 »

all lido's are good for espresso. but the lido e and et are better for espresso as the adjustment screw is longer which means you have more rotations one the finest setting to the coarsest setting. this allows you to fine tune easier than the lido 2/3. i don't know how big of an issue fine tuning is on the 2/3.

lots of others as well. james hoffman did a video review of them earlier.

OldNuc

#3: Post by OldNuc »

The Lido E is the easiest to setup for espresso. If you are contemplating lightly roasted coffee keep in mind that light roasts are very hard beans and hand grinding will be a workout. Add to that the grind setting is quite critical. Light roasts seem to work best with flat burr grinders and that means motor drive.

TheGriz

#4: Post by TheGriz »

I used to use my updated Lido 2 for espresso. It makes pretty good espresso, but the problem occurs when you are dialing in your fine adjustments. It is a pain in this regards and would give me quite a few sink shots.

It does work in a pinch though and makes very tasty pour over. :D

tag1260 (original poster)

#5: Post by tag1260 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the info. I don't do light roasts but will keep that in mind. As far a setting it, do you mean at first if you leave it set for espresso or that it doesn't keep adjustment very well? I'm pretty new to all of this espresso stuff and need a new grinder but am on a budget. I also would like a manual that I can throw in the car when weekend camping, Size is not an issue but want something quality. (Champagne taste, beer budget. Story of my life)
I have grinders that will cover my other coffee needs so this will be espresso only.

Thanks again

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing replying to tag1260 »

If size is not a concern, then consider a Pharos.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

OldNuc

#7: Post by OldNuc »

tag1260 wrote:Thanks for all the info. I don't do light roasts but will keep that in mind. As far a setting it, do you mean at first if you leave it set for espresso or that it doesn't keep adjustment very well? I'm pretty new to all of this espresso stuff and need a new grinder but am on a budget. I also would like a manual that I can throw in the car when weekend camping, Size is not an issue but want something quality. (Champagne taste, beer budget. Story of my life)
I have grinders that will cover my other coffee needs so this will be espresso only.

Thanks again
The E will hold adjustment just fine and as the adjustment ring has a finer thread you have more rotation for a given change in grind size which means it is easier to dial in. As has been suggested if you can deal with the additional expense the Pharos is the way to go. It is not a back pack grinder but it will fit in a car just fine and it will grind rocks if you want.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

My Lido 2 works well for espresso on my forgiving lever espresso machines. The E / ET have a finer thread pitch so that IIRC you have to turn the adjustment 4 times further to make the same adjustment as the non-espresso models. The E / ET will be less convenient if you're switching between fine and coarse settings used in other forms of brewing since you'll have to turn the rings much further.

I use the following settings (marks from zero, there are 16 marks on the ring so 22.5° per mark) for my different brew methods

Impress / Bobble Presse Travel Press : 20
MyPress Twist (been a while) espresso : 8
Cafelat Robot Manual Lever : 9 - 12
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Capac

#9: Post by Capac »

Having owned LIDO E-T, and now comandante, I'd pick kinu before Lido. M47 traveler seems like a pretty good deal if you need more precise adjustment than comandante.

hercdeisel

#10: Post by hercdeisel »

I use the Lido-E for my daily grinder paired with a Robot.

I don't switch beans often with this setup so I don't need to change the grind settings often. It's intuitive enough, though, with a week of practice. The locking mechanism holds the grind setting well. Hasn't budged in the last 2 weeks of usage. If I was changing beans very frequently-like on a per shot or daily to every other day basis-I wouldn't choose the Lido but then again I wouldn't choose any hand grinder. If you stay pretty consistent with your beans, like the same coffee for a week or two at a time, I'd go LIDO.

I'd highly recommend it for espresso. Great bang for your buck too at a sub-$200 cost. Easy to maintain as well and OE sends all the necessary tools for disassembly and cleaning with it.