Option-O Lagom P64 or P100

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
chunter1001

#1: Post by chunter1001 »

I'm in the market for a grinder for my Decent espresso machine and pour-overs.

Both of these grinders are at the top of my list. I tend to use more light and medium roast beans.

Wondering if either is significantly better than the other for my brew methods.

Thanks!

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

From what I read from people, whose taste I respect, who have owned both 64 mm and 98 mm, SSP-equipped, well-aligned grinders, the 64 mm options are "90%" of the way to the 98 mm ones in the cup. The P100 would be my choice, if within budget. There are many among the DE enthusiasts on Discourse and Discord.

MNate

#3: Post by MNate »

Lots of cheaper options to get the same 64mm (though not as good of user experience, likely), but not many other options for the 98mm, and those are more expensive. The P100 sounds like a real winner. But for now I'm just a dreamer... someday...

Ad-85

#4: Post by Ad-85 »

Based on your roast level preferences I'd say P100. You'll never get the "what if" feeling with it.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

heytchap

#5: Post by heytchap »

I have a P64 and am strongly considering a P100, not to replace my P64 but to supplement it. I really want to see how they perform side-by-side. I think my ideal scenario is to have option-o's new cast burrs and then the 98mm HUs in the P100. God. That sounds amazing.

mmntip

#6: Post by mmntip »

Jeff wrote:From what I read from people, whose taste I respect, who have owned both 64 mm and 98 mm, SSP-equipped, well-aligned grinders, the 64 mm options are "90%" of the way to the 98 mm ones in the cup. The P100 would be my choice, if within budget. There are many among the DE enthusiasts on Discourse and Discord.
This right here. On top of that, the biggest upgrade is workflow although the P64 isn't bad in that area at all. The P100 from what I've heard from friends require no RDT and the autopurge negates the use of any type of bellows to blow out the grinder.

malling

#7: Post by malling »

Jeff wrote:From what I read from people, whose taste I respect, who have owned both 64 mm and 98 mm, SSP-equipped, well-aligned grinders, the 64 mm options are "90%" of the way to the 98 mm ones in the cup. The P100 would be my choice, if within budget. There are many among the DE enthusiasts on Discourse and Discord.
You don't really have to have used both, all it requires is experiencing the SSP 64 and the different SSP 98mm in an aligned grinder and you would have a good idea of the difference.

The difference really depends on the burrs, if it's the 98mm HU and the 64mm MP/UM then the difference is actually closer then 90%, I would say we are more like 95% of the way. If you however toss in the "Low" or "Ultra Low" and particularly the SSP "EK cast" version the similarities might actually drop down to 90% or below. I think this is the true strength of the 98mm that you have simply more options to choose from and those more likely to find something that suit your preferences. If you stick with what I guess allot use, the ones I mentioned first, the difference is minimal and you would have to have them side by side and have Hoffmann abilities to notice. In my experience these two burrs are really close in profile so close I'm not convinced the extra investment is worth it unless you want to pursue diminishing returns. If you however want to explore brewed some of the other burrs in 98mm give some that is currently not available in 64mm grinders.

Also neither the 64mm MP or the 98mm HU are great at brewed, these are both clinical, with high focus on clarity borderline one dimensional in how these represent a coffee. None of these would be my natural pick for brewed, but is passable if it's just secondary. For espresso both do well with lighter roast or at least I think they do.

Ypuh

#8: Post by Ypuh »

MNate wrote:Lots of cheaper options to get the same 64mm (though not as good of user experience, likely)
Can agree with your post on the P100 part, but what sets the P64 apart is that it makes all other 64mm grinders look/feel like kitchen appliances (Niche, Oro XL, DF64 etc). Performance gains due to better alignment appear to be minimal but present.

If that's worth 2-3x the cost, the easy answer is no. However easy is not always the way to go. You could also state that the P64 offers 90% of the performance at the same level of design, craftsmanship etc. for less than half the price of 98mm machines.

The P100 and especially Kafatek, Mahlkonig, Weber etc. are in another price dimension for me. Would love to own one, but +/- €3.800 for a grinder is insane. €500 is already priced on the high side for something as simple as a bean grinder. I am willing to pay slightly more for the artisan factor which puts the P64 in range, but yet to pull the trigger (probably no time soon).
I don't want a Decent

camelfarmer

#9: Post by camelfarmer »

I've just ordered the P64, for mid Jan despatch. Couldn't justify the extra cost for the P100.

PrincePolo82

#10: Post by PrincePolo82 »

Did you order from Prima? How was their waitlist/ordering process?
GS3 MP, Lagom P64