Opinions on upgrading to a Sanremo You or La Marzocco Linea Mini - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Arafel

#11: Post by Arafel »

BaristaBob wrote:So with the price of the YOU at $7900, what does a gear pump modded Specht LMLM price out to be?
It depends on what other customization you choose. I got the timber mod as well. Also, since Specht is in Australia, you pay around $600 for shipping via DHL, and then you have to pay I think $450 to customs. The gear pump mod, last time I looked, was $3100 AUS, and I think the timber mods are $1200 AUS.

Reach out to Dan and Matt at Specht for more info. They're very responsive, and they do amazing work.

I know Rick will sell his mods, but I think you need to be really into tools to do it. For me, it was worth it to just pay the guys at Specht to install it. I'll try and shoot a video tomorrow and upload it to YouTube so you can see it in action.

I learned about the Specht machines on the Kafatek forums. The few people I've chatted with there who have them love them!

Maniax

#12: Post by Maniax »

I have ordered the EMP gear pump mod for my Linea Mini from Coffee Machinist's Rick Bond, and have gotten details from him.
There is no drilling/additional plumbing required. I love the oem nature of the mod and giving you full control of pressured via the pump (instead of diverting water into the drip tray like the GS3 MP, turning your Linea mini into a Strada.

Please see Rick Bond's Instagram stories on the installation instructions. I like that he is transparent with the mods and very responsive via email too, answering all my queries.

Part 1-
https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Part 2-
https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h ... MyMTA2M2Y=

dockoelboto

#13: Post by dockoelboto »

@neirda:

I did the install myself. Rick Bond sent me the entire kit and he has video instructions on how to install. I'm not a big diy guy but I was able to do it.

Hardest part is there are some deep bolts that can be a pain but honestly it was pretty straight forward. I had a leak but it was because I didn't use enough tape on the pump fitting.

Everything fits inside, it looks stock other than I added a shot timer. The other dead giveaway is how quiet it is.

I use the tank but can be plumbed in. The other nice thing is that this bypasses the 60sec lmlm auto shut-off.

Hopefully that helps.
neirda wrote:Hello dockoelboto
Did you installed the emp mod yourself ?
Any difficulties ? Everything fit inside the machine ?
Only plumbed in, or working with water tank ?
Thk you

Happymonday

#14: Post by Happymonday »

BaristaBob wrote:So with the price of the YOU at $7900, what does a gear pump modded Specht LMLM price out to be?
I was working out the Specht cost in CAD this afternoon, all taxes, shipping, and duties (for BC) approx:

LMLM + Pump = $10,860CAD
LMLM + Wood + Pump = $11,900CAD

I adjusted the formula for the US, but with no duties or taxes approx:

LMLM + Pump = $7000USD
LMLM + Wood + Pump = $7650USD

neirda

#15: Post by neirda »

dockoelboto wrote:@neirda:

I did the install myself. Rick Bond sent me the entire kit and he has video instructions on how to install. I'm not a big diy guy but I was able to do it.

Hardest part is there are some deep bolts that can be a pain but honestly it was pretty straight forward. I had a leak but it was because I didn't use enough tape on the pump fitting.

Everything fits inside, it looks stock other than I added a shot timer. The other dead giveaway is how quiet it is.

I use the tank but can be plumbed in. The other nice thing is that this bypasses the 60sec lmlm auto shut-off.

Hopefully that helps.

Thank you

Arafel

#16: Post by Arafel »

One thing about getting it via Specht: They install a shot timer in the paddle assembly when they do the gear pump mod, and it's at no additional cost. I was weighing the Rick Bond Slayer mod vs the gear pump mod, but I wanted a shot timer. The shot timer is an add on to the Slayer mod, but it's included in the gear pump mod, and the difference is about $700 U.S. at that point. Also, I paid them to change the LMLM to the plumb in setup, which didn't look that complicated to do on video, but that I didn't feel like dealing with.

Here is a video demoing the variable pressure of the gear pump mod on my Specht, as promised. I have a cold, so excuse my scratch voice!

pitimespi

#17: Post by pitimespi »

Happymonday wrote:I was working out the Specht cost in CAD this afternoon, all taxes, shipping, and duties (for BC) approx:

LMLM + Pump = $10,860CAD
LMLM + Wood + Pump = $11,900CAD

I adjusted the formula for the US, but with no duties or taxes approx:

LMLM + Pump = $7000USD
LMLM + Wood + Pump = $7650USD
Is there a separate charge for converting it to 110v? If so, how much? Thank you.

Happymonday

#18: Post by Happymonday replying to pitimespi »

Apparently the 110v option is an additional $2500AUD. Not cheap.