One grinder for all types of brew or dedicated?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mhpchan

#1: Post by mhpchan »

Hi, currently have a Ceado E37s and do only espresso which works out. However, I'm wanting to explore other types of coffee brews like pour over. The worm gear on the E37s would require quite a few turns to get coarse enough. So, should I...

1. Get another grinder specific for pour over?
2. Sell the E37s and get a nice single doser like Monolith Flat

jpreiser

#2: Post by jpreiser »

I'd go the route of getting a second grinder. I'm happy with my Baratza Virtuoso but I believe the new Encore model has the same burr set so would be an option if you didn't need the timed grind option. Baratza sometimes has refurbished units for sale at a good price on their web store.

Advertisement
mhpchan (original poster)

#3: Post by mhpchan (original poster) »

Curious if a Monolith Flat would get a better cup for both espresso and pour over than 2 separate inferior grinders?

ALBOU425

#4: Post by ALBOU425 »

I just bought a E37S as a pour over grinder until I upgrade my espresso machine when I have the budget. I have a barista express at the moment. After trying it out for espresso though I want to use it for both so I feel your pain in turning the worm gear. If I'd have the budget I'd get a baratza on the side but if they release a quick change upgrade (similar to E37SD) it would be a game changer.

mhpchan (original poster)

#5: Post by mhpchan (original poster) »

I actually emailed a couple of places (WLL, Ceado, Chris Coffee, etc..) about whether the detachable quickset gear from the E37SD would be a direct fit to the E37S. They all said it would not and that the top burr carrier is also different. Quite unfortunate (though understandable) that the detachable worm gear isn't available on the E37S. I've heard reports of the bellows from the SD would fit in the S though!