Olympia Maximatic. Stick to old or change to new? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
welone

#11: Post by welone »

mogogear wrote: do you have any photos of your pump modification / with the swageloc part in place- I just grabbed a Maximatic and you post interested me. Also what is the pump max pressure and what is the OPV set for?
Here's my setup

EDIT: WARNING altough this installation works, it essentially is a complete nonsense and potentially dangerous as there is no pressure relief. The valve should be instead attached to a T-piece to properly function. For the further explanations see here

sorry for this whole mess

it's a Swagelok SS-RL3M4F4-RT (the threads where I inserted it are 1/8") see here

The ULKA E5 pump reach almost 16 bars blind pressure and more than 12 at espresso flow rate. With the OPV it's now: blind pressure 10.5 bar; 9 bars at 'normale' flow (~50ml/25sec). For a lungo it goes down to around 8 bars and a ristretto it's approx. 10 bars. here's my measurement setup - rip-off from the more elegant bob roseman's device

BTW the specs of the Fluid-o-tech 'Mono' pumps are considerably nearer to ideal than the Ulka E5 specs. For instance the model: 120 W, 60 Hz, 70 W "IF" is specified for approx. 11 bar at 70 ml/minute and 9.5 bar at 180ml/minute; whereas the Ulka E5 produces 13.5 and 10.5 bars respectively at the same conditions. So it seems not so pressing to regulate the fluidotech's.

Since I inserted the OPV my water debit has sunk considerably - now it's around 55 ml in 10 sec. - before it was at least 50% more. but I don't have any idea whether I damaged my pump (by letting it run dry) or if it's just the OPV.

hope this helps

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
mogogear

#12: Post by mogogear »

What a great and complete response! Thanks a lot.. :)
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

welone

#13: Post by welone »

thanks for the compliments

i just realized that I should probably scale up my water debit by 40% for comparison with the 58mm figures (the factor 1.4 relates to the ratio of the two different basket areas). so 55 ml/10 sec. on a 49mm would be 77 ml/10 sec on a 58mm

mogogear

#14: Post by mogogear »

So is water debit when I pay my water bill on time? :wink:

I am just a poor lever machine "Luddite" So much of the technical talk here will be sadly and easily above my knowledge threshold ... by living too much on the lever forums. As I start fiddling around with my Max - I will be asking more questions.

Dan Kehn says it all the time- "Those LMWDP " folks need to get out more- he is right! I am the poster child for that problem..

While Googling "Maximatic"- and in 15 pages deep- I did find an in depth photo album from some fellow named Marco in Germany perhaps - I think- documenting his rebuild of a Maximatic

So for those ( other than me) that might need some photos of what goes where and a nice little hand made schematic in case you can't remember where the wires go :oops: It might make you cringe seeing him handle the asbestos bare handed and with possible oblivion- :shock:

Here it is:

http://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/grazie_mar ... maxi_matic

Edit: Oh DEBIT- I get it.. the water flowing past the spigot into the cup- to simulate actual flow of water while brewing!! I See- it is like osmossis! Just being here helps :D
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

blu

#15: Post by blu »

mogogear wrote:While Googling "Maximatic"- and in 15 pages deep- I did find an in depth photo album from some fellow named Marco in Germany perhaps - I think- documenting his rebuild of a Maximatic
...It might make you cringe seeing him handle the asbestos bare handed and with possible oblivion- :shock:
hey,
don't worry, I am still alive - it was my old maximatic.
cari saluti blu
ps my name is not marco ;-). I took the emailadress after the cyclist marco pantani died...
pps here are some pics after finishing:

mogogear

#16: Post by mogogear »

Wow-Blu- The world just shrinks to the size of a postage stamp some days! Glad you made it! :wink:
Welcome -I hope you didn't feel cheated on by me posting your photo albums!

It is always handy to have photos of stuff available when someone who has been meaning to put their machine back together- from last year- forgets where everything goes!

Great job- !Another OLY just keeps on going... and going.......

Ciao!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

aread

#17: Post by aread »

Blu - did you ever take apart the plumbing around the pump?

I did and a bunch of small glass balls popped out and I have no idea where from... did you run into those at all?

Thanks,

Andrew

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
blu

#18: Post by blu »

hello andrew,

ballS? one should sit in the no-return-valve. watch "L" at

http://www.olympia-express.ch/OMTD/Maxi ... IMATIC.GIF

perhaps you post a photo of your problem? it's then much easier to help...
cari saluti blu

cannonfodder
Team HB

#19: Post by cannonfodder »

Does the machine have an in tank water softener? Were the small balls about the size of birdshot or a little smaller and an orange/brown tint? I have hear of the reason balls from an in tank softener getting sucked into the machine before.
Dave Stephens

blu

#20: Post by blu »

cannonfodder wrote:Does the machine have an in tank water softener?
hello,
AFAIK no!
cari saluti blu