Office setup. $250 budget

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
drown

Postby drown » Apr 15, 2019, 12:19 am

What's the best coffee preparation I can get setup for given the 250$ budget my boss allocated me? It needs to beat the free coffee already provided?

We might be able to score a scale. There's already a non temperature adjustable kettle around.

Suggestions? I'm guessing a grinder is the biggest challenge.
Geography is War

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Apr 15, 2019, 1:16 am

The main question is who makes the coffee -- you? -- for everyone? Once you answer that, the appropriate gear will be obvious. Unless you think someone used to Keurig capsules will be eternally grateful for the chance to use a hand grinder and Kalita Wave instead.
Jim Schulman

lim.calvinb

Postby lim.calvinb » Apr 15, 2019, 12:56 pm

At that budget I would think your best best would be to buy a nespresso machine. It's easy to use and the quality of the coffee is not bad for the price point.

sweaner

Postby sweaner » Apr 15, 2019, 1:10 pm

Are you looking for espresso or just brewed coffee?
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

guijan12

Postby guijan12 » Apr 15, 2019, 3:33 pm

drown wrote:What's the best coffee preparation I can get setup for given the 250$ budget my boss allocated me? It needs to beat the free coffee already provided?

We might be able to score a scale. There's already a non temperature adjustable kettle around.

Suggestions? I'm guessing a grinder is the biggest challenge.

A Moccamaster and a Hario grinder.... :P
That will still make reasonable coffee for a group of people, within budget.... :mrgreen:
Regards,

Guido

Alslaw

Postby Alslaw » Apr 16, 2019, 1:12 pm

Bonavita Metropolitan: $80
Baratza Encore: $140
Fresh coffee: $20
Total: $240

If you can push the budget, I would get an 8-cup chemex and Able Kone filter. Replace the kettle and plastic grinds tray in the Bonavita for the Chemex and Able Kone, and you will have some very decent coffee.
LMWDP # 606

cebseb

Postby cebseb » Apr 16, 2019, 1:54 pm

Kinu m47 Traveler $229
https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/kinu ... MoEALw_wcB

Aeropress $30

A tad over your budget, but it will be very hard to beat. You can swap the Aeropress out for a pour over setup if you wish, but it would be about the same amount of cash.

The key is the grinder. The kinu fits the bill. Note that its capacity of beans would be at about 25 grams. The larger Kinu m47 is at about 35-40 grams.
Full stop. No half measures. Thankful to be in such a supportive community.

drown

Postby drown » Apr 16, 2019, 2:26 pm

Thank you all. I am looking at hand grinders combined with various preparation methods ( electric moka pot, aero, pour over, french press) as the overall direction. I did discover a Vario grinder hiding in a nook here. This is for 4-6 individuals each individually preparing coffee. I am leaning towards FP or aeropress for myself using the existing Vario grinder. But if I was considering a manual grinder what is the current best hand grinder including for espresso under $400? Under $300?
Geography is War

Alslaw

Postby Alslaw » Apr 16, 2019, 2:40 pm

That's a huge find - the Vario will be able to satisfy all your needs! Go with a French press, pour over, and aero press for a little variety of options. You may even be able to find a used espresso machine (ie Gaggia Classic) for a good price if you are diligent.
LMWDP # 606

portamento

Postby portamento » Apr 16, 2019, 3:21 pm

If you want other people to be able to walk up and make a consistent pot, I would recommend a grinder with a digital timed dose/grind. It's too bad the entry Baratzas don't have this. For a little more money than an Encore, the Breville Smart Grinder Pro has similar quality burrs and you gain repeatability due to the digital timer. (e.g. Push a button and get roughly the same amount of ground coffee each time). You'll still spot check with your scale occasionally to make sure your current setting is giving you the desired grams.

If there's already a drip machine in the office, try cleaning it thoroughly (Cafiza-soak the carafe until it sparkles inside and smells like nothing) and try a few recipes using proper brewing ratios and good coffee.

-EDIT-
Wait, you found a Vario just hiding in a nook? LOL, that is very lucky. Go with that!! Consider upgrading to the optional steel burrs, which will give you less sediment in all the brew methods you mentioned (French Press, AeroPress, pour over).
Ryan