Nurri Leva S.A. or ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Cuprajake

#21: Post by Cuprajake »

For me the Evo has more control of the brew temperatures, you can delv in to menus and change things out

Most levers flex, both the current Evo and nurri flex,

It's not an issue.

I believe the new Evo will have more substantial bracing

The internals of the Evo are better designed and planed out too imo

The lack of safety limit stat is quite concerning

I don't like the mechanical nature of the nurris controls, that's just me,

BaristaBoy E61

#22: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Primacog wrote:For me, after I have crunched all the features and cost issues, it usually boils down to the question of which machine captures my imagination if I don't have the chance to try it out for myself in person. That is usually a good indicator to me about whether I will enjoy using it more. But that's me - YMMV...
Such great posts in this thread!

This quote resonates with me, especially with espresso machines because we can't try everything but also for many other choices in life. I have bought and chosen many things based on 'imagination capture'. Thankfully they've all turned out well, including our present machine.

Thanks for all the great, thoughtful input and insight.

YMMV...
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Primacog

#23: Post by Primacog »

Cuprajake wrote:For me the Evo has more control of the brew temperatures, you can delv in to menus and change things out

Most levers flex, both the current Evo and nurri flex,

It's not an issue.

I believe the new Evo will have more substantial bracing

The internals of the Evo are better designed and planed out too imo

The lack of safety limit stat is quite concerning

I don't like the mechanical nature of the nurris controls, that's just me,
I have always been respectful of other machines including the evo and never said one is better than the other and just mentioned the features of both and left it to the reader to make their own mind up but I see there is no similar restraint from you as an evo owner, cuprajake, so I will respond in kind...

As far as I can tell not having used the evo, now that the firmware for the nurri has been upgraded, both the nurri and the evo have precisely the same capability to control the brew temperature. The nurri doesn't require scrolling througu tmenu's and seems to me to be more intuitive and direct to do so.

I cannot perceive any flex on my own nurri as I am pulling the lever daily. It is possible there may be some i suppose if one were to use instrimrents to measure it but would be insignificant in actual experience. However the evo flexes much more substantially and noticeably in videos. When this was brought up, Evo owners used to say that flexing is a good thing as it was supposed to male the chassis more long lasting but now the upcoming new evo iteration will be strengthened to reduce flexing. Isp is flexing good or bad then?

Likewise the evo owners used to make a virtue out of NOT cutting rhe shot - u were one of them - since the evo lacks the ability to end the shot. However after rrhe nurri featured this ability from its genesis, after that the vostok suddenly also aadded the shot ending ability as well and it will be added to the evo too ..

As for the paddle system, it is so powerful precisely because of its direct and simple control over the pump and over the release valve. The things one can do with the two paddles include being able to do blooming shots, cut the shot at will at any time, operate the preinfusion for as long or short as one likes, and one cna do so in the most ergonomic fashion due to the paddle design. The evo and vostok on the other hand require prior programming and then it is basically letting the machine carry out the program. Although there is a button to cut the shot in the vostok, this is not as ergonomic as the paddle. Furthermore in order to match the existing abilities of the paddle system, new features have to be programmed into the vostok and the evo. The paddle system itself cannot be adopted on any other machine as its patented by nurri...

On the limit stat, I am surprised u r concerned since u know very well that nurri is adding limit stats to new nurri machines and retrofitting them to older machines. Therefore if anyone like u and mbashir is concerned ovr limit stats, it is not a concern anymore. U and mbashir should have mentioned that or updated your posts to keep them accurate so as not to misinform anyone interested in using a new nurri....

There is nothing substandard about the internal design of the nurri vs the evo - that is your own subjective and clearly biased value judgment.

The nurri was one of the machines featured in the submissions for the best new products in the sca 2022 world of coffee show in Milan
https://new.sca.coffee/2022-best-new-pr ... ubmissions

The nurri to my eyes has a much more cohesive design story and looks so much more stylish, elegant and beautiful than the vostok and especially the evo which is actually a lever grouphead grafted onto an existing pump machine chassis and thus requires weights to keep it from being tipping over. While aesthetics are subjective, it seems Italy's design professionals agree on the beauty of the nurri leva because it was short listed by ADI as among Italy's most exceptional product designs of any type for the year 2022 in the Compaso D' Oro design competition.

https://www.comunicaffe.com/nurri-evolv ... ign-index/
LMWDP #729

Cuprajake

#24: Post by Cuprajake »

OK

As far as I can tell not having used the evo, now that the firmware for the nurri has been upgraded, both the nurri and the evo have precisely the same capability to control the brew temperature. The nurri doesn't require scrolling througu tmenu's and seems to me to be more intuitive and direct to do so.

what was the upgrade? what does it do? no one seems to say or show? theres still very little on the machine which is what over a year old in the wild?

the evos menus allow you into the pid to get you closer to temps and offsets, surely being able to do so is a good thing?

I cannot perceive any flex on my nurri as I am pulling the lever. There may be some but would be insignificant in actual experience. However the evo flexes much more substantially and noticeably in videos. Evo owners used to say that flexing is a good thing as it was supposed to male the chassis more long lasting but now the upcoming new evo iteration will be strengthened to reduce flexing. Isp is flexing good or bad then?

Ive never bothered with the machine flexing, people make an issue out of it, i dont really care,

loads of levers flex,

Likewise the evo owners used to make a virtue out of NOT cutting rhe shot - u were one of them - since the evo lacks the ability to end the shot. However after rrhe nurri featured this ability from its genesis, after that the vostok suddenly also aadded the shot ending ability as well and it will be added to the evo too ..

cutting the shot imo is still pointless on a lever and introduces more work for cleaning, not only that the use of it on the nurri us mechanical, having to pull the paddle 5 seconds before your weigh so the un prssurised dreggs hit the cup is not ideal for me, its a feature i wouldnt have used on the vostok, i wanted the roatary pump.

As for the paddle system, it is so powerful precisely because of its direct and simple control over the pump and over the release valve. The things one can do with the two paddles include being able to do blooming shots, cut the shot at will at any time, operate the preinfusion for as long or short as one likes, and one cna do so in the most ergonomic fashion due to the paddle design. The evo and vostok on the other hand require prior programming and then it is basically letting the machine carry out the program. Although there is a button to cut the shot in the vostok, this is not as ergonomic as the paddle. Furthermore in order to match the existing abilities of the paddle system, new features have to be programmed into the vostok and the evo. The paddle system itself cannot be adopted on any other machine as its patented by nurri...

the pump on the nurri runs the full lenght of time the lever is down, this is because its on a mechanical switch, so un like most if not all levers that use the pump to get pre infusion pressure - the dud dud dud noise, the nurri just pushes what ever bar you have going through it, not only this the pump is still going as the lever is coming back up, as where tom had to flick the paddle, i belive theres a 3d printed part to stop this coming?

On the limit stat, I am surprised u r concerned since u know very well that nurri is adding limit stats to new nurri machines and retrofitting them to older machines. Therefore if anyone like u and mbashir is concerned ovr limit stats, it is not a concern anymore. U and mbashir should have mentioned that or updated your posts to keep them accurate so as not to misinform anyone interested in using a new nurri....

There is nothing substandard about the internal design of the nurri vs the evo - that is your own subjective and clearly biased value judgment.

just the steel used eh?

The nurri was one of the machines featured in the submissions for the best new products in the sca 2022 world of coffee show in Milan
https://new.sca.coffee/2022-best-new-pr ... ubmissions

The nurri to my eyes looks so much more stylish, elegant and beautiful than the vostok and especially the evo which is actually a lever grouphead grafted onto an existing pump machine chassis and thus requires weights to keep it from being tipping over. While aesthetics are subjective, it seems Italy's design professionals agree on the beauty of the nurri leva because it was short listed by ADI as among Italy's most exceptional product designs of any type for the year 2022 in the Compaso D' Oro design competition.

looks are subjective, the nurri has a much larger footprint to stop toppling,

like i said when you are spending £5000 on a nurri, all these questions need answering, a fanboy as big as yourself who simply cannot see or hear a bad word against nurri does nothing but damaged his reputation

when you are saying they dont flex, they dont vibrate, they dont have soggy pucks etc when you are provided with actual videos showing this it shows your own clear bias, and further more a very blinkered view.

no machine is perfect, ive been very vocal about any issuses ive had with acs, given pics answered questions, ive never said it to be anything its not, £pound for £pound it is one if not the best value lever available on the market in my eye,

anyways im done trying to reason with you,

Primacog

#25: Post by Primacog »

Cuprajake,

1. Viernes has made a video on how to change the settings on the nurri pid before the firmware upgrade. U know because u have seen that thread. The nurri pid also allows the temps and offsets to be changed. The change now is that the offsets cna be independently set for each of the three components instead of applying universally to all three.

2. I have not been bothered by flex becsuse none of the two leglver machine I have ever owned has perceptibly flexed. If it did flex noticeably it would certainly trouble me.

3. I agree with Tom Poland's view in his regiew of the nurri leva that before he had the power to end the shot he never needed it but now that he has it he will not do without it anymore if he can help it. U haven't gotten used to the power to end the shot without filling with the cup and scale or container to catch the flow etc. so u don't know how nice it is. As for pulling tbr paddle a few seconds before, it is pretty straightforward.

4. Backflushing on the nurri is probably just a precaution because it appears to me that the water that is vented only comes from the grouphead chamber itself because it is always clear. So I believe there is no ingress of water from the portafilter past the filter screen.

5. Interestingly the vostok only adopted the rotary pump after the nurri used it first.

6. Ther is a cylinder that has apparently been finished in its design that will eliminate the current glitch where the lever handle will at times fail to disengage the pump automatically when it is raised or fail to engage the pump when it is lowered.

7. The 430 steel is still stainless steel and is used for refrigerator body and for lining of the dishwasher. So I don't see why it cannot be used for the body of an espresso machine.

8. The footprint is deeper but the height is lower as a result of the fact it was designed from ground up to be stable when the lever is pulled.

9. If I am a fan of the nurri, you r clearly a fanboy of the acs evo yourself so we r even there. And I have been upfront and frank on the forums about the shortcomings of my nurri throughout so u cannot disqualify me on my reliability on what I report on that score. I have also answered all your points POINT BY POINT so don't make it sound as if I evaded Any of your points.

10. The acs vostok is going to be as expensive or more expensive than the nurri in the US through the distributor there. The only reason why the vostok is cheaper direct from the manufacturer is because that model cuts out the local distributor but then again u miss out on the support that the distributor gives you. Apples and oranges.

11. U r actually ref to that German video where a particular black machine was used. Why did there seem to be some unusual vibration in that machine? I dont know because no other nurri I have ever seen has any. Did u see any strange vibration of the cups on Tom's machine in his video in tom poland's review on the nurri? Or excessive noise? That disproves what u r suggesting. I have glass cups on my machine and the vibratiom is no worse than my vibiemme e61 which also hss a rotary pump. If it vibrated like u alleged, I would know since I use it daily! But it doesn't. And pls admit that u have never even seen a nurri in the flesh.

12. When have I denied that pucks are soggy when the end shot function is chosen? I have specifically posted on a forum thread that u were part of that the pucks are more soggy than pump machines when the end shot is released U are misrepresenting what I actually said and u should withdraw your allegation.

13. If u actually said more reasonable things then maybe we can reason with esch other. But it seems that I as an owner of a nurri have to agree with your perception of the nurri being vibration heavy etc despite the fsct u have never used a nurri yourself and despite the fsct that your impression conflicts with my daily experience as an owner of one! That's a little unreasonable mate! :)
LMWDP #729

Cuprajake

#26: Post by Cuprajake »

so much of a fan boy i sold it :roll:

Primacog

#27: Post by Primacog replying to Cuprajake »

I am still a fan of the izzo pompei thoigh I sold mine.
LMWDP #729

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#28: Post by pizzaman383 »

We get it - you like the machine you bought better. Shocker!
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

flyingtoaster

#29: Post by flyingtoaster »

How long do the Nurri and ACS take to completely warm up and how is the group head temperature stability compared to a La Marzocco with a Piero group cap?

Primacog

#30: Post by Primacog »

pizzaman383 wrote:We get it - you like the machine you bought better. Shocker!
LOL of course we like what we have bought - otherwise we wouldn't have bought it! So our own bias is unavoidable which is why in the past I have tried to keep my comments to the objective points and not make any direct comparisons with other machines to say which is better or not.
LMWDP #729