Nuova Simonelli Prontobar Touch+Fetco CBS-2152XTS. Come with vacuum breaker?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
EfficienSea

#1: Post by EfficienSea »

Hello, our company is building out a Cafe which we are donating to a local Autism foundation, so we want to make sure that everything is done completely top-notch.

We've already purchased their espresso machine:
Nuova Simonelli ProntoBar Touch 2-Step Super Automatic Espresso Machine- Item #: 238pt2 MFR #: MPROTFTCAP21000003

and their Brewer:
Fetco CBS-2152XTS- Item #: 344cbs215252 MFR #: CBS-2152XTS E215252

My question is-- do these both come equipped with a vacuum breaker? Vacuum breakers are required per local code. During some of our research we found information saying that nearly all coffee equipment comes equipped with vacuum breakers now. Then they had some shifty fly by night coffee "consultant" come in who stated that machines do not come with vacuum breakers.

My research on these two models was not fruitful, but it did bring me to this site so I'm at least thankful for that. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, just want to make sure we meet all codes and deliver an amazing cafe for the foundation.

Thanks! Can provide links to machines if needed/allowed.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I don't know this particular superauto espresso machine, but Nuova Simonelli provides a hydraulic diagram under Downloads; the first is the model with a reservoir and the second is a direct plumb model:

I assume by vacuum breakers, they mean one that prevents the steam boiler from sucking up milk or other undesirables when the boiler depressurizes. There's two ways of avoiding that: A vacuum breaker on the steam boiler that opens when the boiler depressurizes, thereby preventing a vacuum from forming, or a check valve/solenoid that seals off the boiler. This model shows the latter (check valve 4 and solenoids 7, 11, and 12 on the steam boiler (left); check valve 2, 4 and solenoid 7 for the brew boiler (right)).

Though it's possible there's a vacuum breaker not shown in the diagram above; it's technically not required since the steam boiler is controlled by a thermostat (8) instead of a pressurestat (pressurestats use pressure to control temperature and thus can be "fooled" without a vacuum breaker allowing air to escape during heatup -- so-called "false pressure").

As for the brewer, I don't see why a vacuum breaker would be required. It doesn't have a steam boiler, only a brew boiler. Brew boilers don't need vacuum breakers because they're 100% filled with water and are not above the boiling point of water.

That said, local codes in the US typically require NSF certification, not an assurance from a coffee "consultant" or some guy like me who runs a hobbyist website. :wink:
Dan Kehn