Nuova Simonelli Musica or La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mopiko

#1: Post by mopiko »

Hi guys,

Ive done some heaps of research and singled down to this 2 models within my budget.
I need some advice on which espresso machine majority would recommend?

A bit of a background; We have the Breville Dual Boiler in the office which i use everyday. It is a pretty good machine. I usually just make milk drink outta the breville machine, and for black i have my chemex, & v60.

And now that id like to invest on one that is better for home, within my $2k-ish budget.

Been shop hunting and these are the deals i have found below

Nuova Somonelli Musica = Usd1400
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II = Usd1700

What would you guys reckon?

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

No experience with the La Spaziale, but I did own an Oscar which is basically the Musica without volumetrics and pretty casing. IMHO it's very overpriced for what it is. I loved my Oscar, but it was also under 1k. If I had paid ~2k for the same technology, I don't think I would've enjoyed it so much. Granted, the Musica has flow restrictors which can improve shot quality, but still not worth it IMO. The Musica is definitely not a bad machine, I just wouldn't pay retail price for it... I have seen a few go used for under 1.5K.

In the ~2k budget (machine only), I would suggest something more towards an E61 or dual boiler machine.

In regards to the BDB:

As I stated, I used to own the Oscar, which will produce a shot very similar to the Musica. In moving to the Breville Dual Boiler, I noticed a quite perceivable increase in shot quality and consistency. This is mostly attributed to the pre-heating and PID controlled boiler. The Oscar/Musica definitely has the edge in steam power (and likely long-term reliability too) but espresso quality and consistency is much more important to me.

Remember, all of this is only true if you use great, fresh coffee and a great grinder.

If I had to pick a new espresso setup right now with only 2k to spend, I would definitely get the BDB and a used Mazzer Major again, I'm consistently putting out good espresso with this setup.

(Edit: didn't realize you found a deal on the Musica, but honestly, it doesn't change my point too much)

Gig103

#3: Post by Gig103 »

Have you considered the Oscar II? It isn't quite the beautiful machine that the Musica is, but has volumetric dosing, as well as upgraded internals with some of the features forum members always wanted of the first Oscar. And new with a warranty should be less than the $1400 you are considering spending.

LukeFlynn

#4: Post by LukeFlynn replying to Gig103 »

It's also the same internals, bar the hot water tap.. also not sure if the Oscar II has flow restrictors.

Oh, and the volumetrics are not truly volumetric, but rather time based.

Honestly, Musica isn't worth it now (not that I ever thought it was). I owned an Oscar, and was very happy with the consistency and ability to pull good shots.. but If I was spending as much as the Musica costs.. I would want something a little more.

Gig103

#5: Post by Gig103 »

If I had been in the market today, the Oscar II would be a pretty serious contender - but like Luke I never thought the Musica appearance was worth the price.

jfrescki

#6: Post by jfrescki »

Long time spaz owner. Can't stress enough how easy it is to bang out wonderful shot after wonderful shot. Your dose is limited by the group size however (and basket selection).
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers