Novecento CMA 1 - info/what's it worth?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Fuzzy Dunlop

#1: Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Hello all, new HB member here.

I have an enigma of an espresso machine I'm trying to identify and value, with a goal to selling it. I work in a retail store, and we have an espresso machine which, once upon a time, was used to serve customers. According to the ID plate, it's a Novecento EMA 1, which is made and/or distributed by Espressione. The EMA 1 bears a passing resemblance to the Espressione 1387 Caffe Novecento, a home machine, but that's where the similarities end. Beyond that, I can't find out about much of anything about the EMA 1, or Novecento machines in general.

From what I understand, the machine was bought new in 2005 from Faema in Toronto, for around CAD $5,000. At some point, I believe the thermostat broke and was replaced by Faema, then broke again a few years later. Apparently they wanted something in the neighbourhood of $400 for parts/labour on the replacement this time, so our fancy machine was replaced with a lowly Keurig (sacrilege!) and left to languish on the kitchen counter, where it still sits.

I'd like to find out some more info about the machine, with a view to placing a value on it (as-is, or with the broken part replaced, if that's worth doing).
TIA :)

P.S. my apologies in advance for the poor quality photos:

Front:

Back:

Underside:

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Um, that's a CMA machine, not EMA.

You can see past eBay auctions, etc., if you search on "Wega Novecento."

It is a unique-looking machine and would make a nice project for someone - but the height and needing to be plumbed in limits appeal. It also looks to be missing some parts. It looks like it is 110 v (blurry pic) which is good, but if it is 220v, it is even less appealing.

In general - not specific to you - machines that have sat for a while are "projects." Machines that have sat for a while in Canada are often "freeze-damaged projects." As freeze damage is difficult to see until the machine is torn down, and every seller says that their machine was stored 'indoors,' the value of a non-functional machine is less than you would think - unless you find the right person. For the value of a running machine - again, look at eBay completed auctions.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

gimpy

#3: Post by gimpy »

Just looking, but it "looks" like the "mod" # could be "E" MA-1. Picture is fuzzy.

canuckcoffeeguy

#4: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Since you're in Toronto, try contacting this dude. He restores and services commercial espresso gear in the Toronto area. Judging by his restorations, he does good work. I don't know him personally, but I've been following his page for a while and he services many well known cafés in the Toronto area. He might be able help or offer advice.
https://www.facebook.com/911latte?_rdr= ... 2F911latte

Fuzzy Dunlop (original poster)

#5: Post by Fuzzy Dunlop (original poster) »

Thanks for the info everyone, especially canuckcoffeeguy. Discerning the make/model is really confusing. I thought I knew the major equipment makers in the coffee business, I guess not. The machine was bought new from Faema, but it isn't a Faema machine. Is CMA an Astoria brand? "Novecento" seems to be a WEGA line. I can confirm 100% the machine has spent its entire life indoors, in the heated kitchen of a retail store. It has been, and still is, hooked up to a water softener which is connected to the plumbing, next to the kitchen sink. I have a repair invoice from Faema from late 2012 for a $17 replacement gasket. Also, it is 110v, not 220.

There's an added layer of confusion to all of this, because the machine repairs date from before I worked at the store. I've spoken to the person who dealt with Faema's service technician, and all they can remember was being told that the machine's motherboard was fried, and that a replacement part would be expensive and used, therefore having no warranty on it. I'm puzzled by the word 'motherboard'; it's most often used in the context of computers and electronics. The espresso machine looks like it's of a vintage that I expect it to be mostly mechanical, not electronic. Am I mistaken in that assumption? There are no programmable drink settings, touch-screens, etc.

Any more thoughts on what my next move should be? I'm thinking of calling Faema, but I'm not sure if they'll be willing or able to do anything without paying for an $80/hr service call beforehand. If I could find a parts manual for the machine, I might have a better idea of what needs fixing.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

First of all, sorry, I didn't realize that EMA was the model number.

Please note that I wasn't saying that your particular machine has freeze damage. All I am saying is that freeze-damaged machines show up with enough regularity on buy/sell sites like kijiji in Canada that all machines that are sold as-is suffer in price. There is just no way for the buyer to know, and freeze damage hidden in the heat exchanger circuit inside the boiler makes any such machine scrap metal.

CMA / Astoria / WEGA are/were all parts of the same corporation. Different labels were used in different markets.

The part that is fried is probably the controller that controls the automatic filling of the boiler. e.g., this is the one for a 110v Wega EMA: http://www.cafeparts.com/productDetail1 ... emID=77852

However, the electrical parts diagram (link in the above link) also shows another box that is no longer available. One would have to take the machine apart to see if that box is, well, just a box :D, or has additional electrical componentry in it, or is even present in your particular machine.

Finally, Faema in Canada has not Faema in Italy. Faema(Canada) is a distributor of coffee equipment, and they got their start distributing machines from Faema (Italy). However, they are an independent company. To confuse matters, Faema (Canada) has imported machines made by companies in Italy other than Faema(Italy) but labelled them as 'Faema' machines. I believe that they stopped that practice a few years ago.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada