Not all E61 HX espresso machines are equal...? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jeff
Team HB

#11: Post by Jeff »

Given that the hydraulics and "brain box" for most of the E61 boxes are close to the same or from the same or equivalent OEM/ODM, picking among them for me comes down to:

* Quality of support from the retailer
* Lack of annoyances, like controls that are accessed more than occasionally that are awkward
* Lack of build quality to the point where it causes failures (very few fall into this category for me)
* Intangible measures of aesthetics and personal choice

and, of course,

* price

I didn't include "size" as either the machine fits, or it doesn't. Tiny, E61 machines tend to have usability annoyances, but tiny may be needed for the setting.

At EU pricing, I'd skip any conventional HX machine and move into either a Mara X or an affordable DB E61.

Check your choice of retailers carefully. Some may not be authorized by the manufacturer to ship to your location. If so, you're buying "gray market" and warranty support may be challenging.

mrgnomer

#12: Post by mrgnomer »

One thing that could bake your noodle is considering a commercial grouphead lever machine. Best of many worlds.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

ScottL

#13: Post by ScottL »

LXpat wrote: My end-goal machine for the longest time has been an ECM Synchronika (DB like my La Spaz but E61), and I'm still considering just getting that now.
If it were me, I'd get the Synchronika and be done with it. I was recently debating between an HX (Mara X) and Bianca (DB) and went with the Mara X. While the Mara X is great and giving me shots and microfoam that are in a different league from my previous machine, of course I still want the Bianca and will very possibly upgrade at some point down the road.

If it's within your budget, just get the machine you really want.

LXpat (original poster)

#14: Post by LXpat (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Given that the hydraulics and "brain box" for most of the E61 boxes are close to the same or from the same or equivalent OEM/ODM, picking among them for me comes down to:

* Quality of support from the retailer
* Lack of annoyances, like controls that are accessed more than occasionally that are awkward
* Lack of build quality to the point where it causes failures (very few fall into this category for me)
* Intangible measures of aesthetics and personal choice

and, of course,

* price

I didn't include "size" as either the machine fits, or it doesn't. Tiny, E61 machines tend to have usability annoyances, but tiny may be needed for the setting.

At EU pricing, I'd skip any conventional HX machine and move into either a Mara X or an affordable DB E61.

Check your choice of retailers carefully. Some may not be authorized by the manufacturer to ship to your location. If so, you're buying "gray market" and warranty support may be challenging.
SandraF wrote:Why do you think a DB would be "overkill"? Might as well get what you want.

I bought a Synchronika after many years away from espresso. My former machine was a Saeco 'Rio Vaporé' aka Starbucks 'Barista' in the end. My initial search for a better machine eventually lead me straight to the Synchronika.

Many videos show what the insides look like & how it's organized for easy maintenance. That sold me, as I knew I'd want to do my own maintenance.

Anyway, just want to chime in to say, get what your goal is. You don't have to use every feature right away....grow into it. Im the only coffee drinker at my place, and now that I've had the Synchronika over 1.5 yrs., there is still fun to be had trying different espresso recipes, etc.
Thanks all for the feedback, it was very helpful to mull over your comments! I ended up with a Synchronica from a local distributor who has a lot of experience with ECM. I set it up yesterday, and can definitely see having lots of fun experimenting. No regrets getting the machine I've wanted for so long, and not having to mess around with HX temp surfing. Setting it up was problematic, but that's a story for another forum. Thanks again!

SandraF

#15: Post by SandraF »

Congratulations! I hope all goes well, from this point on, and that you enjoy your machine as well as your espresso. Cheers.