Niche Zero vs. Kafatek Monolith Conical: Which is best in the cup? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
crankles

#11: Post by crankles »

I have an NZ arriving shortly. I can't compare it to a Mono ( maybe some day ), but I WILL compare it to the Super Jolly I've been using for the last 20 years. Will report back near the end of March.

ttfn
Thomas

mdmvrockford (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by mdmvrockford (original poster) replying to crankles »

Thank you Thomas! Please do report on the differences.

FWIW, I have been comparing the Mazzer SuperJolly (stock burr) with doser (manufactured 2007 and bought in 2010) to my Orphan Espresso Pharos v1.1 (68mm conical burr) (actually it is #877) purchased IIRC in 2013 [and then I spent countless hours aligning it when those threads were in vogue on H-B.com; should have just followed my tastebuds:( ]

So as not to bias your review, I will say just my assessment of SJ vs. Pharos is similar to the majority of h-b.com user posts. Both have their respective roles. E.g. I use the SJ with doser when I have to make 12-24 cappuccinos/day x 2 days each Christmas holiday when I play barista for my in-laws. I think I would need bilateral rotator cuff surgery if I had to use the Pharos instead for those holiday parties.
LMWDP #568

Javier

#13: Post by Javier »

mdmvrockford wrote: I will say just my assessment of SJ vs. Pharos is similar to the majority of h-b.com user posts. Both have their respective roles
Years ago I had the same couple - OE Pharos and Mazzer Super Jolly - at the same time. When the OE Pharos was well aligned, I did prefer shots from Pharos than from Super Jolly (shot preparation was quicker too). Now I am awaiting for Niche Zero.
LMWDP #115

nuketopia

#14: Post by nuketopia »

I think it would be very difficult to find someone who has used both extensively. Even under controlled circumstances, it would likely be hard to reach any consensus, unless the Niche is deeply flawed somehow.

Also depends a lot on what you're making with it. Espresso, pour over, AeroPress, etc and what kind of beans you're using. Properly developed roasts of well suited beans would likely do very well on both grinders. The differences would likely be more pronounced with more challenging beans and roasts.

Similar idea, but different execution between the two grinders.
Both are single dose conicals, the Niche being a 63mm and the Monolith (at least the one I have) is 68mm and now 71mm.
I love my early run Mono-Con. No regrets there. Reliable, easy to care for and extremely predictable.
I also have a Sette 270w and it makes pretty good espresso. The mono-con is better for what I want and prefer to do.

mdmvrockford (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by mdmvrockford (original poster) »

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread.

Monolith Conical (any version) hard to find and new one v3 has apparently long purchase queue.

I am still reading a lot about the Niche Zero grinder (embarrassed to see first post on it was in 2017 :oops: )

Various body parts still crying "uncle" more often than not when using the Pharos v1.1.

So I made decision........I bought a used Helor 106/Flux.

I recall seeing "TomC" 's excellent review The Helor Flux Grinder Review at time he posted it. I can sense how overbuilt the Helor 106/Flux. Heck it is far more hefty than my 3-D cell Maglite LED flashlight/baton. I also see it has been listed as "sold out" for some time on Helor website. So it was time to buy even though never used one.

I love my Helor 101 (use for drip and travel). I am planning on Cafelet Robot with pressure gauge so I need a travel espresso grinder and bonus points that it has Mazzer (? Robur size) burrs and gear reduction. Given my POU (philosophy of use) (see background section in first post), hand grinder is a ok with me. Besides it will reduce my electricity use lol!

And worse case, I love "another_Jim" 's Niche Zero when I use it at next get together and want to buy it. Well the price of new NZ grinder and used Flux grinder is still under Monolith Conical v3. I am not saying MCv3 is overpriced (see my prior posts on this thread where I prior state it is worth every cent).
LMWDP #568

TV33

#16: Post by TV33 »

mdmvrockford wrote: * If I won Powerball or Mega Millions then I would own Kafatek Monolith Flat Max, Monolith Conical v3, Mahlkoenig EK43 and that N brand Mythos and be done with grinders. And I would have a commericial roaster in my basement with natural gas line and custom exhaust porting. And I would had KvW Speedster and and Paul Pratt level restored Urania to go along with my current used Cremina.

if I win too, then we will be in competition! :wink: