Niche Zero vs. Eureka Mignon

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
ciaranirl

#1: Post by ciaranirl » Aug 10, 2019, 6:33 pm

Hi all,

I've upgraded to a Lelit Anna PL41TEM and now need to also upgrade my grinder. I've got a Wilfa Svart which does a reasonable job for pourover but is obviously useless for espresso.

I was all set to just get an additional grinder for espresso and keep the Wilfa for pourovers. However, the NZ seems like it could actually do both. Should I spend the extra and buy an NZ, or should I just add a dedicated espresso grinder in the form of a Eureka Mignon?

Thanks!

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim » Aug 10, 2019, 7:12 pm

Welcome to HB. In forums, it is good form to search for previously posted answers before posting questions. In the menu section of the site, hit "search," then type in "eureka mignon, niche zero" and read the dozens of posts comparing the two grinders. If the posts don't ask answer your questions, or leave specific issues open, feel free to post about those.
Jim Schulman

ciaranirl

#3: Post by ciaranirl » Aug 11, 2019, 6:22 pm

Thank you!

I did find a ton of info about both grinders separately.

I guess I'm specifically wondering if the Niche is really good enough at switching between filter and espresso grind to negate the need for two grinders?

As an aside, there are at least 3 very similar Mignon models with 50mm burrs and then the specialita with 55mm burrs. The "Manuale" seems really good value and I'm finding hard to see the difference between it and the other 50mm models.

Cheers!

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim » Aug 11, 2019, 7:29 pm

The Niche will switch back and forth between grind levels more easily than any other grinder I know. It makes a good brew grinder, but not a great one. On the other hand, the Wilfa Svart is a basic, small burr grinder, so the Niche should beat it comfortably for pour over (so will the Eureka for that matter. The Eureka is a good espresso grinder, but only if you fill the hopper, it does not single dose.
Jim Schulman

ciaranirl

#5: Post by ciaranirl » Aug 12, 2019, 7:05 pm

Thanks so much for your reply! I decided to go for the Niche on the basis that (as you said) it'll be a better brew grinder *and* be able to fulfill my espresso needs as well.