Niche Zero vs cheaper options for pour-overs

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nman9442

#1: Post by Nman9442 »

I'm interested in getting the Niche mainly because it is supposed to be adept at espresso and other brews (among single dosing+looks+low retention). However, I see frequently that because it produces a lot of fines at coarser settings, the Niche isn't very recommended for pour-overs. While I brew espresso more than other methods, I do enjoy a good Chemex or V60 a few times a week. Even a Keurig when in a rush sometimes. Can the Niche really do all these methods well or is it better to get a good espresso grinder that would only be for espresso (e.g. Eureka Mignon Specialita) and a good handgrinder / entry level grinder such as the Bartaza Encore for coffee? Does the Niche outperform the latter? From what I've seen espresso quality is similar with Specialita (although diff taste profiles), but mainly curious about coffee against cheaper grinders. The price would end up being simliar getting just the Niche vs a similar espresso grinder + cheaper coffee grinder - although taking up more counter space.

spopinski

#2: Post by spopinski »

Get a Niche for espresso, and the Encore for other.

Advertisement
Otaibimn

#3: Post by Otaibimn replying to spopinski »

Let me correct that,

Get a niche for espresso and a fellow ode with ssp mp for pour over.
Unless you roast your own coffee, You still didn't reach 90% of the rabbit hole.

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

Get a Niche for espresso if you drink medium and darker roasts and buy something with flat unimodal burrs if you prefer light to medium roasts. If you get the Niche then you can always buy a Commandante MK4 for pourover and also use it on holidays.

LObin

#5: Post by LObin »

Serms you may benefit from a flat burr grinder. Why not just get a DF64 instead?

Workflow isn't as seemless as the Niche but to be honest, nothing is. Results in the cup are superior for me. Both in espresso and pour over.

The main advantage is that you can then choose the burr set to match your preferred roasts and shot style.

Multipurpose: light roasts and modern espresso, fast flow and longer ratios. High clarity.

High Uniformity: All roast levels. Espresso focus but can do pour over as well. More body and less clarity vs MP.

Stock Italmill: Traditional geometry. Espresso focus. I found the pour overs sweeter and cleaner vs the Niche.

Cast or Lab Sweet. Pour over burr that does espresso very well. Higher clarity than HU and more body than MP.

I own both a Niche Zero and a DF64 (owned all burr sets except cast). Niche Zero's at the cottage. As much as I appreciate the NZ, the DF64 pulls better shots. Yes it requires RDT and has more total retention but if I had to keep just one, it'd be the DF64.

If you have the budget, you could also consider other 64mm single dosing grinders like Lagom P64, Kopi Deva or the newly announced Weber Orbit.
LMWDP #592

johnX

#6: Post by johnX »

Darn, it always seems to be depending on budget and space. :lol:
Also factor in, just how discerning your taste buds are.
I had stepped up from a Capresso Conical to a Niche Zero, it was a huge leap.
Niche Zero ground for both my espresso & pour over, and I was very happy.
Then Kickstarter had the Fellow Ode.
I am now just using the Niche Zero just for my espresso.
The Fellow Ode is for my pour overs.
The Ode seemed it was a small step above the Zero for my pour over tastes.
But the two machine work flow is just so nice
Best of luck with your grinder shopping, there are a lot more choices out there.

dilin

#7: Post by dilin »

The Baratza Virtuoso and any of OE Lido series are worth considering, given their relatively low price points.

Advertisement
Portlandia

#8: Post by Portlandia replying to dilin »

Agreed! I use the V+ exclusively for V60 and it's excellent, zero retention, and the improvements with the plus are nice. The ode with SSP burrs is another option, and Fellow will ship them installed under warranty.

gobucks

#9: Post by gobucks »

I'm not sure if my experience is typical, but I get significantly better results out of the Niche for v60 than for Chemex, particularly if I'm brewing a smaller portion (since i can grind finer). I wouldn't say the results are amazing for v60, but they're good enough, especially since the espresso results are fantastic. If I primarily did pourover, though, I'd probably look elsewhere - either to a cheaper brew-focused grinder like the Ode, or to a higher end do-it-all flat burr model.

Portlandia

#10: Post by Portlandia replying to gobucks »

Chemex is too inconsistent IMO, and V60 is my preferred method so this doesn't surprise me. I also believe IMO, the filters in the Chemex remove too much body for my taste.