Niche Zero vs. Ceado E37S

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ran

#1: Post by ran »

Hi!

I am looking into the following grinders:

Niche Zero

Ceado E37S

Price is not an issue. Machine is the Rocket Appartamento. Looking to make one espresso per day. Any recommendations?

I welcome your feedback!

Many thanks!

Ran

luckydragon

#2: Post by luckydragon »

Those two grinders are wildly different; I'd argue it's comparing apples to oranges.

The NZ is a conical burr grinder designed for home use and single-dosing. The E37S is a commercial-grade grinder with flat burrs and a hopper.

Depends on your workflow - do you prefer the convenience of keeping a filled hopper (at the expense of accelerated loss of freshness), or are you okay with weighing your beans every time you want to pull a shot? Some claim you can single-dose with the E37S, but as it wasn't designed for that function, you'll still end up with more retention than with the NZ.

How are you for counter space? The Ceado has a mammoth footprint compared to the Niche.

What kind of beans do you typically enjoy - light, medium, or dark? There are subtle differences between the espresso produced from a flat vs. a conical grinder; some prefer using a flat grinder for lighter roasts for increased clarity, whereas conicals may be favoured for darker roasts because they produce a heavier mouthfeel.

jpsm

#3: Post by jpsm »

ran wrote:Hi!

I am looking into the following grinders:

Niche Zero

Ceado E37S

Price is not an issue. Machine is the Rocket Appartamento. Looking to make one espresso per day. Any recommendations?

I welcome your feedback!

Many thanks!

Ran
I like the "price is not an issue" You must be loaded! :P

Agree on the other comment that you are comparing apples to oranges. Anyway even with the lack of info i would recommend the NZ since you will be making only 1 drink per day so i am assuming you would not want stale coffee in your grinder unless of course you are willing to purge a few grams every morning then I think the e37s would be much suited for you. If you plan on doing pour over later on then go for NZ.

LObin

#4: Post by LObin »

ran wrote: Looking to make one espresso per day.
No doubt for me, the Niche fits your needs better.

No beans going stale in a hopper. Next to no retention. Consistency in grinding adjustments.

With a hopper, you have to adjust the grind as the load of beans lowers and the coffee goes stale.
Flat burrs demand more frequent adjustments vs conical burrs.
You'd have to purge before every shot.

A single dosing grinder seems to make more sense.
LMWDP #592

symbology

#5: Post by symbology » replying to LObin »

This ^^^^^^^

I was considering the E37, but I really want to single dose and it really does not single dose well. With one drink a day I think you should single dose.

Also, I saw how many E37 get put for sale, as well has how many refurb E37's there are on the market and I decided to stay away. I think it is a fine grinder, but if you really want to single dose it will give you headaches, same as many other grinders. This is why I went with the Niche instead. I have a Niche and Vario combo and I single dose with both of them. The Vario has the Forte burr chamber and the rubber anti-clump device has been rotated out of the way. Retention is minimal in both grinders. For single dosing I have no need for a blower, or brushing, or anything else. No hassle single dosing is what I like and I now value that over size and type of burrs. The modified Vario and Niche provide a great single dose workflow that you normally find with the more expensive boutique grinders.

Good luck with your decision.

ran

#6: Post by ran »

Thanks for the feedback. I like medium roast and have space on the counter. Workflow aside, which one is the better grinder? Less clumps and more constant?

Thanks again!

Ran

LObin

#7: Post by LObin » replying to ran »

I doubt you'll get a definite and unanimous answer to this question.

Check out the various Niche Zero reviews for people's impressions. Consistency is up there with the other high end single dosing grinders (Monoliths, Lynn Weber).
Clumping really depends on various factors that are not just related to the grinder. It's not even unanimous that clumping affects extractions.
With the NZ, as with most single dosing grinder, people will usually WDT to reduce clumping and improve distribution. In the cup or in the portafilter.
Although, with the NFC disc, DaveC reported improved distribution and a lesser need for WDT.
LMWDP #592

ran

#8: Post by ran »

Great. Thanks!

foam2

#9: Post by foam2 »

I single dose with the e37s - it does incredibly well, not sure why people might think it does not. I am within a tenth of a gram single dosing with the e37s and achieved that with a cheap bellows i got on amazon after reading a thread on the grinder forum. It works wonders. I also have the niche and i would not have expected it but the flavor between conical and flat is striking. I'm not suggesting one is better than the other, but even with the same coffee much more fruit flavor typically with the niche and less chocolates than the flat. I'll post a photo when i get home.

LObin

#10: Post by LObin »

foam2 wrote:I single dose with the e37s - it does incredibly well, not sure why people might think it does not. I am within a tenth of a gram single dosing with the e37s and achieved that with a cheap bellows i got on amazon after reading a thread on the grinder forum. It works wonders.

What you're describing is dose consistency. What about total grind retention? There's also grind exchange to consider.

Good to know that you can achieve single dosing with the e37s though. Ceado do have the reputation of designing low retention commercial grinders.
LMWDP #592