Niche Zero vs. Ceado E37S - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Randy G.

#21: Post by Randy G. »

ran wrote: I am looking into the following grinders...
Price is not an issue.
I vote that statement as the most dangerous thing ever posted in HB. :lol:
Espresso! My Espresso! - http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
LMWDP #644

foam2

#22: Post by foam2 »

symbology wrote:I recommend you take a 3/4" hole saw and cut a hole in the top of your bellows. This way, when you pump down you can seal the hole with your palm. Lift your palm and you allow the bellows to pull air from the top. This will keep the bellows from pulling air/coffee back up through the grinder.
I don't know that is happening but I think it is a valid point.

symbology

#23: Post by symbology »

That was happening to me when I tried one of those. Fines would get sucked up into the bellows and I am sure grounds got sucked back elsewhere in the grinder.

foam2

#24: Post by foam2 »

Thanks I'm going to give it a try.

symbology

#25: Post by symbology »

I guess it could depend on the type of seal you have against the grinder. A better seal may suck grounds back up, but it will also allow the bellows to be more efficient. I used a foam weatherstripping to make a better seal against the grinder.

millmountain
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by millmountain »

mohninme wrote:I know I will take some static here
I see what you did there!

Couldn't resist, hope it worth the bump. :oops:

Qrumcof
Supporter

#27: Post by Qrumcof »

Ive a similar issue; relying to decide bt the ceado E37s & e37SD.
Ceado E37S versus E37SD

My concern is that the SD was specifically designed for single dosing, and I believe the slower motor speed combined with the titanium burrs (which also have different teeth) was deliberately designed for single dosing (without the weight of coffee beans in the hopper).

I don't think there's a way to know if this translates to cup-taste, unless someone with both machines does it taste test for us (while using the E37S in single dose mode). My concern is the unknown, with the E37S is designed to have the weight of beans in the hopper while grinding (wondering if popcorning can lead to an inconsistent grind).

SIDE QUESTION: Do you guys feel running the grinder for a second or so will purge old coffee grounds in the burrs? If I end up with a coffee I like, my plan was to store the beans (1/4 - 1/3 pound) in the hopper, and purge in the morning before I pull a shot.

THANK YOU (Chicago), for telling us the E37s does work as a single doser. I would be interested if you elaborate on your procedure (and yes I saw the thing on Amazon that fits over the hopper to blow the coffee grinds down).

Symbology, yes, I was worried too they I saw "refurbs" of the E37s. I should've waited but I've already ordered mine, when I inquired about sending it back before I open the box, I was told even if the box is not opened, they cannot sell it as new anymore. I wonder if machines like this end up as refurbished?

Whole latte love tested the E 37S and the E 37SD on retention. I remember both were very low. I believe the SD was 2/10 of a gram, and the S was 3/10 of a grand opening prayer I know for sure both were less than 4/10 of a gram). With retention and this low it seems like we could just put two or three beans down the hopper to cycle out the stale coffee.

DaveC

#28: Post by DaveC »

Qrumcof wrote:Whole latte love tested the E 37S and the E 37SD on retention. I remember both were very low. I believe the SD was 2/10 of a gram, and the S was 3/10 of a grand opening prayer I know for sure both were less than 4/10 of a gram). With retention and this low it seems like we could just put two or three beans down the hopper to cycle out the stale coffee.
I've never seen them test retention properly only dose consistency?

foam2

#29: Post by foam2 »

They have tested dose retention where they took apart 5 grinders with the sette 270 being the lowest and the e37s being the second best - check out their site.
I single dose with both the niche and the ceado and both work very well with the niche coming in within a tenth of a gram without using the bellows. The e37s get there with the use of the bellows. Both work great.

DaveC

#30: Post by DaveC » replying to foam2 »

I did watch a test of a number of grinders and they didn't test it properly then either (it was produced a while ago now). Just so I'm not thinking of a different video can you put a link to the specific one your talking about?

I've used a lot of grinders and never found one that comes close to the Niche for retention, exchange or dose consistency. Pretty much everything I do is well within 0.2 of a gram (I use scales to 0.01 of a gram).