Niche Zero vs. Ceado E37S - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JohnStuartP

#11: Post by JohnStuartP »

I've had both, and kept the Niche when I had to make a choice to keep one. For making one shot a day the Niche Zero would be perfect.

ran (original poster)

#12: Post by ran (original poster) »

Thank you all. I ordered the Niche.

foam2

#13: Post by foam2 »

foam2

#14: Post by foam2 »

There's also a recent video on the flavor difference between flat vs conical which I found to be true in my taste tests as well. I don't drink straight espresso but the flavor difference is very present.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n806rql4sp4

You can buy the bellows I used from amazon for $9.99 which fits snugly in the E37s with the hopper removed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D0 ... UTF8&psc=1

foam2

#15: Post by foam2 »

LObin wrote: What you're describing is dose consistency. What about total grind retention? There's also grind exchange to consider.

Good to know that you can achieve single dosing with the e37s though. Ceado do have the reputation of designing low retention commercial grinders.
I single dose on the E37S with the hopper removed and use a bellows like the E37SD with the exception my bellows is not as nice looking. There are subtle differences between the S and the SD but I assure you single dosing with the S is within a tenth of a gram without RDT and only a couple pumps on the bellows as the grinder is spinning down.

LObin

#16: Post by LObin replying to foam2 »

I'm not doubting you. With your technique, your dose consistency is <0.1 gram.
How much coffee do you collect when cleaning the grinder? If you weigh every single grind, that'll give you your total retention on the E37s
LMWDP #592

foam2

#17: Post by foam2 »

I weigh every single grind in and out and I'm within a tenth of a gram. The Niche also is within a tenth but no bellows needed. I try not to nerd out (I'm an engineer so go figure) just trying to be consistent.

mohninme

#18: Post by mohninme »

LObin wrote:I'm not doubting you. With your technique, your dose consistency is <0.1 gram.
How much coffee do you collect when cleaning the grinder? If you weigh every single grind, that'll give you your total retention on the E37s
I don't believe measuring every speck of coffee when you clean a grinder is representative of its operating retention. Some of that coffee build up in areas and just remains there (doesn't exchange every dose). I single dose with an E37s and speak from experience. The older E37s grinders did have some undesirable retention at the top of the shoot where there is a ledge. I believe the newer S models share the same chute with the SD. I have an older version I bought second hand. I installed the SD chute, removed the anti static flapper and mounted the SD bellows. The retention is almost nothing but it took a few $ and a bit of work. Overall It cost me under one third of a new SD model.

All that aside, the OPs situation does look to be a better fit for the NZ. I know I will take some static here but the Sette would also be a good choice. It single doses with almost no retention and if the need arises, you can load the hopper for a multiple dose event.
Michael

LObin

#19: Post by LObin replying to mohninme »

Good insights!

I do believe total retention is relevant but that's for another debate!
LMWDP #592

symbology

#20: Post by symbology »

foam2 wrote:There's also a recent video on the flavor difference between flat vs conical which I found to be true in my taste tests as well. I don't drink straight espresso but the flavor difference is very present.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n806rql4sp4

You can buy the bellows I used from amazon for $9.99 which fits snugly in the E37s with the hopper removed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D0 ... UTF8&psc=1
I recommend you take a 3/4" hole saw and cut a hole in the top of your bellows. This way, when you pump down you can seal the hole with your palm. Lift your palm and you allow the bellows to pull air from the top. This will keep the bellows from pulling air/coffee back up through the grinder.