Next step up from Baratza Vario?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jeffg2020

#1: Post by jeffg2020 »

I like my Vario a lot, but would like to take a step up. I figure on getting a refurb or open-box machine. I'd like to spend $500-600, probably $650 max. Given my budget, I'm not looking for a huge improvement, but want a meaningful one.

My criteria are:
1) 95% of my coffee-drinking is espresso. It would be great if the thing could also do drip, but if not I have an extra Virtuoso I can fall back on: quality of espresso grind is the main thing.
2) Doserless (I store my coffee in mason jars and use a scale to weigh the dose for each shot)
3) Needs some way to "remember" the setting for different blends, as I rotate through 2 or 3 blends during the course of a week, and of course they do best on different grinds. The Vario has a visual scale on the faceplate, so something equivalent.

Thanks in advance.

Faspaz

#2: Post by Faspaz »

There's an open-box Eureka Zenith 65E on SCG's website. 65mm burrs and 550-watt motor. It's a thousand-dollar grinder priced at $750. If you're willing to stretch your budget a bit.

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

jeffg2020 wrote:I like my Vario a lot, but would like to take a step up. ... I'm not looking for a huge improvement, but want a meaningful one.
You have your search cut out. If you want the same grind quality, but improved reliability; a refurbed 64mm espresso grinder like a Jolly or Eureka will do. But these will deliver roughly the same grind quality. To go a step up, you will need a third wave grinder, either a commercial conical or one of the new designs in large large flats from Mahlkoenig or NS. These are in very high demand, so the used market is tight.
Jim Schulman

jchung

#4: Post by jchung »

You might be able to find some used 83mm flat burr grinders in your price range. Used Mazzer Majors can be had for $400. Add in the cost of new burrs, maybe some other replacement parts and you are still well within your range as long as you are fine with a doser. It may take a while before you see another one pop up though. So you'll have to be patient.

Maybe a used Ceado E37S if you can find them. They are reasonably cheap for an electronic 83mm flat burr when new. So I would think used prices will get down close to your price range.